It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH! You're one of those, Conspiracy Theorists.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

My family doesn't like it too much they think I need to get back to reality. I try and tell them that they need to look further than the headline and into what makes the news in order to correctly understand the world around them.

I even try and talk about some of the stuff here on ATS with them but I get "I really don't want to talk about that" speach.

I have given up trying to let people know in general. I don't really care if the avarage person is blind to whats going on around them. It's not my problem is my motto in this faccit of life.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I have mix feelings about this one. Because on one side I have the side of me that would fit the criteria of a CT but on other aspect I dont fit the criteria. The charasteristics of a CT that the OP put in the opening post I would say are spot on with many of the tactics that are push not only in this website but in many CT related websites across the internet.

It has become a competition about:

1. Who can to be the loudest?

2. Who can ignore the questions until the other person drops the arguement.

3. Let me post the same thing 100 times no matter if it has been heavily debunked.

4. Let me called the oposition names.

5. Who can come out with the most outrageous, unbelievable, non-factual, literally out of this world conspiracy and try to make it stick.

The 9-11 forum here is a prime example of that but you can see some of that too in UFO forum as well. Sometimes when I see the stuff that goes on there I feel ashamed of considering myself a Conspiracy Theorist because I believe that we are special because we like to find out the FACTS of whats really going on in many different aspects of our daily soup of BS that we are fed by the MSM, politicians ans others. Too see many so called "conspiracy theorist" continuing to spew garbage that only serves to discredit and give the rest of us a bad name is just disheartening.

Conspiracy theorist should be the one that seeks truths and facts not to become popular, not to feel that they are better than the rest, not to feel entitled to call names those others that dont think like you, if anything and this is the reason that I'm here , I'm here for the personal satisfaction that I feel everytime that I have posted or read something that gives me a chance to educated others or myself about the stuff that happens in this world.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I don't want to give them info overload or make them paranoid.
reply to post by AccessDenied

No matter what their age, I believe most people just don't have the mental or spiritual maturity, to handle CT. Without fear of falling off the edge of mental balance. Obviously some who do entertain CT, can't handle it!

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
To me a conspiracy THEORIST is the first one who postulates and publishes it. Eveyone else is just an interested, open-minded person/reader; except for the more outrageously groundless conspiracies. Those would be mere blind believers like any religion. I believe, in the example of 9/11, that the term THEORY isn't even applicable, since it's the first conspiracy where ALL the truly serious, sound science points to a real conspiracy... For example, is it really possible for an aircraft to "vaporize" (per the NIST Report's word) as a result of a crash? Those who believe that might as well believe in the "(Warren Commision's) "magic bullet" and the Easter Bunny.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Double Eights

Every single one of us call 911 and claim there is a gunman in our office/school. If you work, do it when you're at work. If you go to school (high school or college), do it while at school.

Call the cops and claim that there is a gunman wandering around the campus. The cops will come and when they don't find him/her, they will arrest you. Before (while) they arrest you, I want to you to talk to them calmly. Show them the hypocrisy in this country.

They are arresting you for making a false claim (while not under oath), that put no one's life in danger .

Do I really need to point out why this is a BAD idea?
There is a very good reason why people are arrested for making false claims. You take the resources away from those that really NEED it.
Have any idea, how many police would show up and ambulances, taking away from those that call 911 because they are in a REAL emergency situation? THAT IS putting someone's life in danger.
There are 100% far better ways to get your message across than playing a juvenile prank on a public service.
A thought like yours posted openly on a forum, scares me.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I talk about it with my fiance however she actually get's scared of some of the stuff I look into. She's very afraid that it's true. My father on the other hand is right on par with me, he just doesn't have a computer to look into things like I do. There are some things that he doesn't believe in, but he believes in most more so than others. Especially about UFOs, he believes that at least some are ET in origin. His opinion is "if they were top secret military planes, why all the lights?" Thankfully I work with a decent cross section of people who are more than willing to question things. So i'm lucky not to get scoffed at to much.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
A very good article I found..

Will The Real Paranoids Please Stand Up?

When one dares to dig beneath the surface of governmental programs to reveal undisclosed purposes, he or she is usually met with charges of being a "paranoid" defender of "conspiracy theories." More often than not, such an accusation silences the questioner, as it is designed to do. I long ago came to the conclusion that those who chastise others for spouting "conspiracy theories" tend to do so because they don’t want the implications of their own schemes revealed to the public. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!," intoned the Wizard of Oz, an admonition designed to intimidate the inquisitive into silence.

Link- www.lewrockwell.com...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Here's a really good essay speaking about the several veils, or layers, that are hidden from view.

"...why the masses have little choice but to interpret their clarity as insanity..."

he's referring to the conspiracy theorists.

The further or deeper someone is in their research, the crazier that person seems to people who are closer to the outside. There's too big of a gap.
Source

It's hard for me to say this, but I can't wait around forever until everyone catches up. Sometimes you need to keep going forward. What I do enjoy and hate at the same time is when someone comes up to me and states a fact which I already know, and have tried to tell them in the past.

Anger because I can't say 'I told you so', but happiness because here's a person who's awake now.

Perhaps instead of trying to argue and convince, just let your work speak for yourself. Write essays, publish books, and most likely, you'll have opposition to what you're saying. However, by this series of events, someone else might ask 'hey, yeah, WHY is that?'.

You have just taught someone how to think.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by quintar

You have just taught someone how to think.

A VERY profound statement.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ehh, people like to talk about it, so that's why I read this.

It's a little more detailed for me but hey, i'll save that for later.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Yes, I am that guy amongst many friends.

I'd say that it has always been that way, however. Some of my earliest memories of spending time in a library was stacking a table full of books on UFO's and the Loch Ness Monster (this was before the internet). I'd read the books cover to cover and multiple times. I must have only been in second or third grade then.

I've never been 'arrogant' about it though, heck, I don't even know what I believe and what I don't. My excuse to friends and family after I say something outlandish has always been 'well, what if?! And doesn't it make things a little more interesting, at least to entertain the possibility?'

Over time, most of my friends and family have developed a grudging respect for my tenacity and intelligent debate regarding things a little off the radar.

I'd say it now entertains them as much as me sometimes.

For God's sake, I'm the guy that won a "Hulk could beat Superman" argument in the middle of a heavy party. Maybe not the best conversation, but this is along the lines of what I think about when the world is quite.

Everyone else got a kick out of my arguement, and I think it is the same with conspiracy matters too.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The Ct label doesn't bother me one bit and I've always thought outside the box.
My dad still calls me the black sheep,a label I proudly wear.
When I start a conversation on a particular topic, or get involved in one,I'm usually called a CT.Once I throw out numbers,legitimate questions about skewed data, or point out the obvious,people tend to get quiet because THEY are left without answers.
I'm not saying I have all the answers to every conspiracy,but if my family/friends want to discuss current events they shouldn't fall back on the "so you're one of them".
I have one friend I who I can't discuss politics with because he's so closed minded.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

I'd say that it has always been that way, however. Some of my earliest memories of spending time in a library was stacking a table full of books on UFO's and the Loch Ness Monster (this was before the internet). I'd read the books cover to cover and multiple times. I must have only been in second or third grade then.

That was totally me too. I volunteered at the school library for years every lunch hour. I didn't have any friends in grade school, so I would go there and read up on the same stuff as you. The librarian at first tried to get me to read more "age related" topics. I refused. Then she would tell me when new books came in that would interest me, and in my last year there actually asked my opinion before ordering books on those topics.
She was my Favorite teacher.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The "Conspiracy Theorist" label doesn't have the same meaning today that it used to. It's more of a postive than it used to be. I am not ashamed of it.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I supose I was lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it.) that both my parents although 'normal people' on the surface had quite radical ideas that were definately in the conspiracy theory area. I'd had the gamut of theories from an early age so to me its normal. It was always explained what the theory was, what the available facts were and that it could eb all rubbish as well as true. Basically I was given carte blanche to make up my own mind on things.

So I know that I can talk to my mother and father when I visit and top them up on the latest theories and my take on them and not be treated like a screaming nut job. In fact not being able to talk openly and frankly to my parents would be realy odd to me.

I was brought up, as was my brother, to not just think outside the box, but to not even acknowledge the damn box in the first place. But yet again as an professional artist I'm legally entitled to be as crazy as a loon in other peoples eyes.

You never hear the phrase 'conpriracy fact' do you? Event though many have been from bay of pigs down and are ackowledged by the world at large as conspiracies...

I live my life by number of maxims..one of which is ...

'Belive nothing and take nothing as read ... question everything.'

Its served me well so far so I'm not exactly in ahurry to change it. Although as luck would have it my best mate (who has a very nice 'normal' job) probably has crazier ideas than me.

Wayne...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
oh....you're one of those coincidence theorists...?
www.freedomdomain.com...

[edit on 5-5-2008 by conxposer]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
The "Conspiracy Theorist" label doesn't have the same meaning today that it used to. It's more of a postive than it used to be. I am not ashamed of it.

Iam not ashamed to wear the label of Conspiracy theorist.However in my experience it is viewed as something frowned upon. Like we are all nutcases that need therapy, or a different hobby.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by conxposer
oh....you're one of those coincidence theorists...?

Never heard that one...
A neat play on words...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Do you know why people smile and nod when conspiracy theorists get going. It is because they are, I believe, afraid that we will somehow shake their little safe 'cage' of ignorance they live in. For example if you have seen the Bourne movies, agents like that, assassins, if you will actually work and are employed by the CIA. I told my friend this and he was like "nah no way". I replied, sorry for shaking things up a little but yes they do. We are marginalised because our seek for the truth often pits us against people with more resources and manpower than us, the government. How do you wage a war against a government, one man alive for say 19 years versus a constitutional system around since before arguably Ancient Greece. They smear us because they know a minority isnt a real threat to power. If say we got hard evidence of a conspiracy maybe just maybe then people would go "hey maybe you guys were right". But that's the things with conspiracies we get so close but can never get hard proof, we know deep down what happened or what we thouht happened but the evidence either goes missing or is 'accidently' destoryed. Faith is what seprates 'us' from 'them'.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by darkness07

Faith is what seprates 'us' from 'them'.

Not just faith..
FEAR.
We aren't afraid to question and speak up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join