It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks For Nothing Jeremiah Wright and NAACP!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Now let me preface my statements by saying I support Barack Obama for POTUS. Furthermore, I am an Independent, White, Middle Class voter.

That said...what idiot thought it would be a good idea for Jeremiah Wright to give an interview to Bill Moyers or to speak before the NAACP Detroit Conference? Don't get me wrong, he most decisively has a right to freedom of speech. But any idiot who actually supports Obama should realize that Wright should avoid the spotlight until after November.

I tuned into to the conference this evening (Sunday) which is being covered by CNN and FOX. I am astounded by the scene I have witnessed so far. My husband, who is trying very hard to stick with me on this Obama issue, is outright horrified.

Mind you, if you don't have much experience with African-American churches, you might be surprised by the animated and passionate rhetoric you see on the T.V. I'll put it out there and say that there are African-American people who are not totally comfortable with the agenda of the NAACP and certainly not the ceremonies presented tonight.

Obama should not be defined by the words of his pastor. I challenge anyone to dispute that it is difficult to challenge or disagree with your spiritual counselor. Lord knows I have some crazy-ass friends and family, but damn it, they're mine and I wouldn't turn by back on them! I view it as an excellent indicator of his personal ethics that Obama has not disassociated himself from Wright. Loyalty is to be admired.

That said, for God's sake, will someone in the Obama campaign put this issue on lock down!?

Furthermore...I think it is absolutely pandering to the lowest common denominator for CNN and FOX to have covered the NAACP speech. Just stirring the pot for ratings...

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This is just the start of the Reverend Wright Sanitization Tour.

The drive-by media doesn't like what Wright is doing to their buddy Obama, so they have to start doing the "misunderstood" angle on him.

Obama can't protect himself from Wright, so the media has to sanitize him and get people to feel sorry for him, and get them to think he was misunderstood.

Kosmicjack, as an Obama supporter I can understand you wanting all of Obama's dark side swept under the rug. But he is running for President of the United States. If he can't handle the pressure of the primaries, maybe he needs to step aside.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

TBH, I don't think there is much to sweep under the rug. By all accounts, he is a stand-up guy who earnestly wants to usher in change from an old political paradigm to a new one. It just astounds me that his supporters are not handling this more strategically.

At risk of being flamed, I am going to say this is classic African-American politics at work here. Older folks who will not let go of a by-gone era of stuggle and Civil Rights issues cannot see the forest for the trees.

Don't jack the whole deal up by being Afro-centric. Obama's appeal is not that he is black, who cares? It's that he stands for something new and different. However, an entire generation of Blacks and Whites, as well as the MSM, are strictly focusing on this one concept, race, which has been thoroughly skewed and twisted. It's a generational issue at best.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

in my oppinion everyone has something to sweep under the rug.
i am not an obama supporter but if i were i would agree.

being friends with a known weather underground "former operitave" and an american hating pastor, and an insane wife is something i wouldnt want the people voteing for me to know.

he is a very smart man and id rather have him than hillary but all and all my vote for the man is

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

Your reply cracks me up!

If guilt by association is the game...no one on ATS should even think about running for prom queen, much less anything else!

PUHLEASE! I am beginning to wonder if Wright is going for a bit of payback against Obama for denouncing his comments. He cannot be so obtuse as to not see the blood he is letting. In which case, that would be truly sad, as Obama did not denounce him, in fact, he stated emphatically that Wright was responsible for bringing him to Jesus.

With friends like that...

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The underlying question here is why is CNN and FOX news covering the NAACP convention? A convention at which both Bill and Hillary Clinton have been keynote speakers as well.

Another question is why do they characterize it as 'Obama can't attract white voters,' when really, historically, Democrats in general have had difficulty ever since the GOP as usurped guns, religion and taxes as their main issues.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Rules on criticizing Barack Hussein Obama.

1. Don't make fun of his ears. He's extremely sensitive about that subject. Get that Maureen Dowd?

2. Don't ever mention his middle name. By the way his real name is HUSSEIN.

3. Most people are known by the company he keeps. This does not apply to Obama. His reverend, his buddy with the Weather Underground, Louis Farakhan, Resko. Don't ever connect these people to Obama.

4. Don't question Michelle Obama. Even when she says she is a product of the public school system, even though she went to highly private Ivy League schools.

5. Don't question his Muslim ties.

6. Criticizing comments made when he is not reading off a telepromter is not fair...........

In fact just go ahead and forget this list.

Any question critical of Barack Hussein Obama is just out and out racism, and don't you forget it.

[edit on 27-4-2008 by RRconservative]

[edit on 27-4-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

well more than one person has been guilty by association. people often judge others by the company the keep. i for one judge hussein by the company he keeps. so sorry. the man is friends with a man who bomed an american government building the pentagon to be exact.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Very funny use of hyperbole there RR!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

Maybe so, but he can spell!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'm a middle aged republican who also happens to be supporting Obama. He is the least damaging person running for office.

I enjoy listening to O' Reilly on the radio and do occasionally catch his TV show. I consider him to be fair, honest, and reliable. Some people may disagree, and that's great, listen to Rush or Hannity, then we can talk.

I was wondering what the he** was going on Friday afternoon when they had Tony Snow as a guest host and he play Wright's comment ad nauseam. I mean, let's get over this crap folks. We'll hear plenty of it when the real campaign starts.

If a person was chosen by the company they keep, the past presidents would look a little different.

The Rev. Wright will be speaking to the National Press Corp tomorrow (Monday, 28apr). Expect this to be covered somewhat by cable and network media.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
So apparantly Wright is going to be speaking at the National Press Club this morning. What it says to me is that he is certainly no friend of Barack Obama. While I don't dispute many of the points he made in his speech last night, the timing could not be worse or more dubious.

I guess even pastors are prone to being selfish and self-centered prigs. What a colossal idiot. Black Liberation Theology...exactly what the hell is that? Well for sure it's the kind of rhetoric that most whites cannot wrap their brains around. And certainly it's not the type of unifying message that Obama is trying to convey.

I find it amazing that Wright thinks that his cappy, animated and disjointed speech is more important to the interests of Black America than electing a likable, intelligent and forward thinking (black) man as president.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
While I have found it admirable that Obama has not sold Wright down the river, I now say all gloves should be off. Obama needs to come out with an eloquent and convincing speech addressing the issue.

I think the strategy should not be about race but generational politics - there are many, many older African Americans who hold the same opinions as Wright but there are also many, many younger African Americans who are over that mentality.

It seems as if people over a certain age - of any race- are much more concerned with racial issues than younger people.

[edit on 28/4/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

i mostly agree with this statement, but the sad fact is that race still plays a major role in every day american life. its not just african americans that need to get over this but whites as well.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Okay so now the reason for his comments is more clear...he is pimping a symposium that will analyze Black Liberation Theology as well as a book to come out later.

en.wikipedia.org...

Wright maintains that the flack that he has endured recently is not so much an attack against himself, as an attack on the Black Church.

What an idiot.

[edit on 28/4/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You people deserve the leaders these people give you. Obama is such a con, and if he gets in, will be good for america, lol. Remember he is your saviour, lol again.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
OMG...is anyone else listening to this speech! What racially divisive issue has he not covered!? Not that he is entirely wrong or doesn't make some very excellent points, but for pete's sake, the timing and relevancy sucks!

This man is definitely opting for a slash and burn strategy against Obama's candidacy. I say knee-cap him Barry!

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Personally, I think Obama is being swiftboated. I can't say who is behind it, but how else would you explain Wright being a guest speaker and running his mouth?

Was this event scheduled earlier, before he was known, or was was he asked to speak because of his new found fame?

I have only heard tidbits on CNN, but it sure seems the media has definitely turned against him.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Guilty by association? I wouldn't worry about Jeremiah Wright, I would worry about Barack Obama's connections to the Council of Foreign Relations and to the founder of the Trilateral Comission, who is one of his biggest endorsers and who is one of his foreign policy advisors.

As long as he has these ties. Barack Obama is not going to change anything. Nothing is going to change.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
O the Good Rev. Jeremiah Wright has brought us a message from the Lord. Here's his synopsis about why 9/11 happened. America deserved it. We had it coming.

why it is we are feeling what we feel after the trauma and the tragedy of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon

....America's chickens are coming home to roost.

hughhewitt.townhall.com...

If Obama gets the ticket, you'll see even more disturbing stuff than this come out. Tying him to someone who is almost giddy about the World Trade Centers being detroyed is a political death sentence. Obama is finished. Now will the Democratic party tie itself to Obama while he sinks? That's the question.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join