It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkey Protein Fights HIV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Ever thought there was no use of becoming a monkey other than being able to swing from brach and act like an idiot and be socially acceptable?
Think again. If you are a monkey, you may get bad breath, but not HIV.

"A protein in monkeys that disables the AIDS virus once the virus enters a cell is apparently the reason that monkeys do not become sick after exposure to HIV, the virus that causes AIDS."

GNN

"Human cells make a protein that looks like the monkey protein, but it is much less effective in blocking HIV than the monkey version, researchers from Harvard Medical School in Boston report."

Looks like our evolutionary friend may help us find a cure to HIV.

Any comments?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is an incredible discovery. Hope this leads to AIDS being one step closer to being a curable dissease.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Bless them monkeys!!!... Thank you Hoju, Mo-jo Jo-jo, Bo-bo, Abu, and any other famous monkeys i failed to mention...

Oh yeah thank you King Kong... although not technicallya monkey (he was only claymation after all) he deserves a thank you anyway

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

This is an incredible discovery. Hope this leads to AIDS being one step closer to being a curable dissease.

Hope so too.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Hope so too.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
Bless them monkeys!!!... Thank you Hoju, Mo-jo Jo-jo, Bo-bo, Abu, and any other famous monkeys i failed to mention...

Oh yeah thank you King Kong... although not technicallya monkey (he was only claymation after all) he deserves a thank you anyway

does anyone else see the irony in this? wasn't the origional AIDS infection of a human from a monkey host?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX

LMAO

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It'll be interesting to see how research with this goes.
It's great to hear.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

does anyone else see the irony in this? wasn't the origional AIDS infection of a human from a monkey host?

Really? Could you provide us with some info on your assumption?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I believe there is speculation that monkeys did indeed give humans HIV... it was either someone eating raw monkey flesh or some sick mo-fo having sex with a monkey... i've articles in national geographic and stuff... sorry no links...

But i guess there never will be proof to where it came from...

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I believe there is speculation that monkeys did indeed give humans HIV...But i guess there never will be proof to where it came from...

Thanks, never knew that before.

No matter who gave it, the monkeys are going to help us find a cure for it, that is what that matters, isn't it?

jra

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I thought I remember seeing on a TV program that a long time ago an HIV/AIDS type epidemic swept through the monkey population and a lot were wiped out and I guess some were resistant to it and then there genes were passed on and now they remain emune to HIV/AIDS... my momeory is fuzzy on this and I don't have links to back this up, so don't take this as fact, it's just what i remember hearing somewhere.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I caught that too....

Oddly enough, most monkeys were only carriers, and didn't suffer from the effects, so you think that they would have looked at this sooner?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Oddly enough, most monkeys were only carriers, and didn't suffer from the effects, so you think that they would have looked at this sooner?

Do the scientific community know absolutely that the HIV came from the Monkeys, or have they made educated guesses?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

Really? Could you provide us with some info on your assumption?

what monkey host?

do you really know the history of hiv? to say the least hiv has been a scam since it was discovered...if you want to call it a discovery

get the book by dr.len horowitz aids and ebola emerging viruses...very interesting, but look into the history of hiv with an open mind. very odd the guy with the patent on the hiv test was also the one who codiscovered hiv and presented it as fact through the u.s. government without peer review...strange science indeed.

top topics

join