It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember the Keating Five??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I’m surprised no one has brought this up yet. Remember ‘The Keating Five’? – Alan Cranston (D-CA), Dennis DeConcini (D-AZ), John Glenn (D-OH), John McCain (R-AZ), Donald Riegle (D-MI).

Considering John McCain’s comment that ‘the economy isn’t his strong suit’, I thought it was a good time to review one of his biggest career blunders … which just so happens to be in the area of economics.

In the end, he was accused of ‘using poor judgment’.
He says now that no one should even give the appearance of something illegal.
He now strongly campaigns against special interests, etc.
Is he just trying to convince people he has changed, or has he really changed?

In my opinion, it should have ended his senate career.

One story here

Put the way-back machine to 1987. Charles H Keating Jr., was a major developer (some called him ‘The Godfather of Developing in Arizona’) with a problem. The government set to seize Lincoln Savings and Loan, which was a subsidiary of Keating's American Continental Corp.

Keating had given Sen. Dennis DeConcini, D-Ariz. thousands in campaign contributions. John McCain, another senator who Keating gave contributions to, was tapped to help since he had already known Keating since 1981. Alan Cranston, D-California and John Glenn, D-Ohio were also involved. Ed Gray, chairman of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, was in on the meetings. Gray offered to set up a meeting between the senators and the San Francisco regulators.

Others involved were Sen. Don Riegle, D-Mich. and William Black, then deputy director of the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corp., James Cirona, president of the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco, and Michael Patriarca, director of agency functions at the FSLIC.

During the meetings, McCain expressed severe reservations and he eventually backed out. However, that doesn’t excuse him. Keating accomplished his goal. He had bought some time.
There is a lot to this such as McCain accepting gifts and free vacations from Keating. And of course the biggest part is the massive amount of money this cost the American tax payer. I have read the figure to be anywhere from $2.6 to $3.4 billion. Not to mention all that was lost to those who had their money in the Savings and Loan. Another sad note – two ‘American Heroes’ were involved in this – John Glenn and John McCain.

Wikipedia – Keating Five I know – this isn’t the best source. But it does have some good information.
Free Republic blog
Is John McCain a Crook?

[edit on 4/17/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
A month and no one cares about the Keating Five?
Everyone is still wrapped up in the Obama v Hillary thing?

Oh well .... I thought it was important vetting material for a potential POTUS.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
No.

But thanks for bring it up. Now I know. I must have been busy durning all thqat stuff. But politics can be boring and theres so many good comic books to read and stuff.

Banks ain't paying much intrest now also. Seems like lots of political people get in trouble.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Here is a pretty good timeline and connections he had during that period.

It's quite an interesting read.

John McCain: Are His Backers out of Prison?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Here is an interesting video I found concerning the Keating Five.

join