It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth from Space: Further break-up of Antarctic ice shelf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Earth from Space: Further break-up of Antarctic ice shelf

www.esa.int

This animation, comprised of images acquired by Envisat’s Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar (ASAR), highlights the rapid loss of ice on the Wilkins Ice Shelf from 26 February to 7 March 2008.

Between 28 and 29 February, an area of about 400 sq km disintegrated into large and small icebergs within 24 hours. The break-up was preceded by the formation of a new rift appearing first in Envisat ASAR and in Japan’s ALOS PALSAR imagery from July 2007.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
If any one who think climate change is not happening then please have a look at the .gif file which clearly shows the rapid melting of Ice in antartica

www.esa.int
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-3-2008 by Enceladus]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
People need to start using hemp for gas.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Umm Global Warming ended in 1998 and Al Gore made everything up so..

Not sure what is causing this then, but my guess is the dolphins are scheming. Or maybe the Sun is heated about something we did?

I don't have anything to add at the moment. Gonna read a little more. I will say this though. I am quite unnerved by all this melting that's going on

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Do you know they have found fossilized tropical plants there too. And your saying it's mankinds fault who do we blame for the last heat wave??

mikell

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Do you know they have found fossilized tropical plants there too. And your saying it's mankinds fault who do we blame for the last heat wave??

mikell

I might be way out of the loop here but I thought the general idea was this:

Global Warming and Global cooling are natural cycles of Earth's climate dynamics.

The thing that is being argued is how much Mankind is contributing to either direction.

Since there is much evidence of alarmingly exponetial increases in ice-melting and overall temp rises and what not, it gives credence to the notion that Mankind's huge population and industrial world may be a solid contributor. Again, I may be totally off here.

[edit on 063131p://31u23 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This is really quite disturbing. These sort of changes are huge flashing warning signs but I see very few people even talking about it.

I'm hoping that our Prime Minister here actually takes notice, this is coming in as news at the same time as a NASA employee is pleading with him to stop exporting so much coal.

I'd like to hope he'll do something, but it seems like the coal industry is right in the ear of them nowdays. I don't see how it's democratic for them to have such a huge ability to lobby against change.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by pro420
People need to start using hemp for gas.

OOOOOOOOOOh, you can't say that! People with think you're into recreational drugs!
I can't believe that on a website the seemingly promotes the 'Deny Ignorance" mindset that we can't have a discussion about Hemp, which is NOT a drug!

And yes, this does tie in with global warming because the misapplication/miseducation/mispeak about this plant does contribute to excess through application of more polluting technologies.

Oh, the Corruption!

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is a tragedy and has dire consequences for all of us down the track

I believe that mankind has contributed to the breakdown of this planet with his dependence on fossil fuels and other chemicals. Let's face it man has not really been all that smart with what mother nature has provided, he has been happy to live like a parasite on this planet and rape the landscape for wealth.

On the other hand, I also firmly believe that the Earth is in the infancy of a new climactic change and there is nothing that we can do to stop this. Like King Canute trying to hold the waves back...impossible. This is another geological phase that would happen even if there was no human race to assist the 'meltdown'.

just my 2c worth.

res

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
similar to the story line from The Day After Tommorow film.

bad news all round this.
we have passed the line in terms of fixing it.
we now have to sit back and wait on what's coming now.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
What is the radiation record in the ice.

I suspect atmospheric nukes caused all the Ozone and Ice melting
in Antarctica.

new topics

top topics

join