It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southland Tales -- Could we be headed that way?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So I have finally picked up the movie Southland Tales and a few boxes of pizza to get me through the movie. (Haven't even gotten through the first box!) First I would have to say that just for those that haven't seen the movie yet, probably going to have to leave out some details as not to ruin it for those. So the point of this thread will just be on speculating whether or not we are moving to or are already at a time that is presented in the movie.

Here is a synopsis of the plot for those who haven't seen it yet.

El Paso and Abilene, Texas have fallen victim to twin nuclear attacks on July 4, 2005 – a catastrophe of unimaginable proportions which sent America into war. The PATRIOT Act has been upgraded to a new agency known as US-IDent, which keeps constant tabs on citizens – even to the extent of censoring the internet and using fingerprints in order to access computers and bank accounts. In order to be able to respond to a newfound fuel shortage, the German company Treer designs a generator of inexhaustible energy which is propelled by ocean currents, called "Fluid Karma." Unbeknownst to them, the generators alter the currents and cause the Earth to spiral out of control through space, ripping holes in the fabric of space and time...

en.wikipedia.org...

Now if you just take out the space and time part of it and the part about finding a new energy for our cars and what not. Would you say that we are moving closer to this type of life?

(It would probably help a lot of people saw the movie, but eh the movie got me really curious and I just had to ask
.)

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Leviatano

I'd say we are in a fashion not so dramatic as the movie. A Us-ident organazation doesn't seem that far fetched to me. And as far as the earth slowing down to create a time rift, I see that as possible also. I can see the world coming to end end like that, with a BANG. I just didn't quite grasp the entire concept of the movie. I didn't understand some parts of it. Anyways, cool movie if you can get through the 2 1/2 hrs. of it, I did. I would watch it again to try to figure the rest out but I returned it already.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by schism85

It still followed the way Donnie Darko was written.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yep written practically the same way Donnie Darko was written, which got me thinking as to why Richard Kelley would use the same "elements" in his movie, unless he knows something we don't know. The way this one was portrayed I just couldn't help that he was trying to make it "realistic" in a way, which got me thinking about about those elements of his stor(ies) and why he uses them.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Leviatano

Well, it makes a great plot for a storyline. Its the kind of thing writers come up with when they have writers block.

The two are almost the same.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by shiman

Heh that is true, since there seem to be a few movies coming out with a few rehashed plot lines.

I guess for now I won't be able to say much about the movie till I pick up the books and read through those as well.

new topics

top topics

join