It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technical Publication Prohibition ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Being of a Technical mind, I have enjoyed collecting books and technical documents from a variety of categories related.

After aquiring libraries and books from a variety of sources, my library has become quite large and diverse in the area of science, engineering, and electronics. Primarily historical publications that are old, but not necessarily.

Lately I have started to be somewhat concerned of the post 911 mindset of the government.

In this day and age, are there technical publications that are frowned upon as owning? Before, it was just 'a geek owning books'. Now, it could be perceived as something else.

I mean, today you can be arrested with federal charges, for having a pair of nail clippers in the wrong place.

I would find it difficult to explain, other than collecting, if the feds were to bust in the house, and surmise my intent, of owning books that 'could' be perceived as something a terrorist would own.

Publication Prohibition?

Anyone with thoughts on this?

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Being of a Technical mind, I have enjoyed collecting books and technical documents from a variety of categories related.

After aquiring libraries and books from a variety of sources, my library has become quite large and diverse in the area of science, engineering, and electronics. Primarily historical publications that are old, but not necessarily.

Lately I have started to be somewhat concerned of the post 911 mindset of the government.

In this day and age, are there technical publications that are frowned upon as owning? Before, it was just 'a geek owning books'. Now, it could be perceived as something else.

I mean, today you can be arrested with federal charges, for having a pair of nail clippers in the wrong place.

I would find it difficult to explain, other than collecting, if the feds were to bust in the house, and surmise my intent, of owning books that 'could' be perceived as something a terrorist would own.

Publication Prohibition?

Anyone with thoughts on this?

No Offense smirkley but after reading this post my thoughts were "maybe you shouldnt oughta tell "

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I understand, but trust me 99 percent are just electronic books and manuals, as well as physical science books. Anything I own, are fairly common and bland stuff that can be found on ebay on any given day.

But it occurred to me that maybe there are publications that are now considered bad to own in this day and age. That was the direction of my post. To see if anybody had thoughts of what I was eluding to. The fingernail clippers of textbooks.

You know what I mean?

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
For example, when I read articles or comentaries like the following, I too begin looking around at my "Anachist Cookbook", copy of the "Constitution and Bill of Rights" and copy of "Brave New World" and think, hmmmmm, "Am I the kind of person my own country considers to be Evil or a possible Terrorist?"

Redefining terrorism
Posted: November 29, 2002
2002 WorldNetDaily.com

I'm worried.

I'm concerned that many of the anti-terrorism laws we're passing in America won't be used against terrorists at all, but rather against ordinary citizens.

In fact, there's evidence it is happening already.

Let me give you one example.

Steven A. Magritz of Wisconsin doesn't fit the terrorist profile. Yet he is the state's first victim of an anti-terrorism unit formed after the Sept. 11 attacks.

In 2001, Dane County seized his 62-acre property in the town of Fredonia because he reportedly didn't pay some $30,000 in property taxes. Now the property, with frontage on the Milwaukee River, is being turned into parkland.

Well, understandably, Magritz was pretty upset by the action. So what did he do? Did he hijack a plane? No. Did he make threatening comments to government officials? No. Did he hold anyone hostage? No.

Instead, what he did was to file legal documents against government officials that were found to be false.

For this, he has been found guilty of "paper terrorism" and faces up to 70 years in prison and fines totaling $70,000.

Doesn't it seem like THE PEOPLE of this country should be able to send the IRS to prison for 70 years and $70,000 in restitution for establishing an Illegal Institution that uses "Paper Terrorism" against everyone?

Wait a minute, that sounds like something only an Evil Terrorist would say. Evil terrorists are always speaking about an Individuals Right to not be Taxed on his/her Income earned. Evil terrorists always try and push Equality amongst all PEOPLE, God Given Rights which are above "Civil Privileges" given and taken by Government according to THEIR wishes. That's what them terrorists are all about aren't they....Freedom for Humanity and the Right of Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness! *We better kill em' all, cause who want's all that stuff???*

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
For this, he has been found guilty of "paper terrorism" and faces up to 70 years in prison and fines totaling $70,000.

wow. this is one case where semantics is of real world importance. yeah, the guy evaded taxes and that's a crime. so charge him with tax evasion. "paper terrorism" sounds like something out of a Monty Python sketch. (insert images of paper airplanes crashing into the Pentagon here)

but really. are they going to start calling speeding tickets "automobile terrorism citations"? that's retarded, and it fails to take into account that there are actual differences between a person that commits a minor crime (speeding, etc.), hardcore criminals, and terrorists. those are lines that society can't afford to blur.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I'm screwed then. I have a copy of 1984 and most of David Icke's tomes. The reptilians will definitely have me under scrunity.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Smirkley, unless your books are on secure timers, remote timers, safe switches etc., I doubt you have anything to worry about.

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Ironic. I have old books too, and some of them are chemistry books. Some of them have recipes in the back on how to silver a mirror or make glue, stuff that many chemist had to do themselves, because they couldn't just buy it. Well it also has recipes for Nitroglycerine and other things that go boom. Picaric Acid, Mercury Fulminate. My old Special Forces books have some good stuff too.
Piss on them aholes. As long as I am not building the stuff in them, I should be good. "with freedom comes great resposability" I guess we aren't free anymore are we?

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I have about 150 Army TMs and FMs on CD. If anyone wants a copy U2U me and send you one for shipping.

They're really good references.

Oh, and they are unclassified. Distribution is unlimited.

DeltaChaos

top topics

join