It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the Point of Watching?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I always watch shows like Destination Truth or Monster Quest where they search for cryptids or other shows that search for things like Atlantis or the Holy Grail and the like. I've been thinking about this for a long time and I wanted to bring the issue here and ask honestly, what's the point?

I hope such things are found, but I'm quite sure there will never be a "shocking discovery" on one of those shows. While I think its possible they could find something, such a discovery is bound to hit the media before the program airs on TV. How likely do you think that they would be able to keep quiet on such a discovery? Has anyone else wondered this? I really doubt they have some protocol to keep the lid on a discovery. So knowing that, is there really a point to watch these shows?

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Iv'e given up no these,i had high hopes for the ghost shows with the new techs being used, but all i see is people scared of their own shadowsor cryptos that have no understanding of animal behavior.
Sci fi channel has sunk to anouther low with all the latest reality shows.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I don't usually bother with Monster Quest because it just bores me. Destination Truth will probably never find anything great but at least the show has a good host. He is at least entertaining us while not finding anything, if that makes sense. Ghosthunters on the other hand has caught some awesome footage and evps. If you are looking for a show with the best/most results I would stick with Ghosthunters.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

while you do have a good point OP, i think that some of the shows are pretty entertaining. but the real reason we should watch and support these shows? to raise awareness amongst the general population of these subjects by giving these shows a large veiwing statistic. how does that help? well they play the shows more, they get commercials on other channels, the get more seasons and so on and so forth. this gets the subjects more coverage, people see the commercials on other channels and may think "hmm that looks interesting, i'll check that out" and another person is opened to those topics many of us find fascinating and believe in. so really these shows are good for those of us interested in the paranormal,cryptozoology,and the like. whether or not they find anything really shouldn't be the point...the point is...at least they're looking!

so even if you dont think they'll find anything, which who knows, watch it anyway! it's good for expanding the will to search! and if they do find something you'll be able to watch the episode after the news announcement and see how it happened.

just my thoughts on it

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'd have to agree the only point those shows is awareness for those who dont know its even an issue.
For avid crypto peeps and ufologists or ghost hunters, these shows are like sesame street. I was at my friends house at he was watching Ghost Hunters, and I could not stop laughing, these people are not very scientific about their approach to the paranormal. there are about a million factors that could be interfering with their research. nonetheless I am very happy to see its a subject matter that is available to the public.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
i know they are going to leave you with a question in your mind after you are watching it for hr or two... like you, i have also realised that but still I watch because most of the mystries I have read and i really like to see in them in actua, like the place, people... how it would be...

thats the point I watch those serials knowing they are not going to tell me anything new... only perspective and some images

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Not so sure I want awareness to come in the form of Monsterquest...

SLPEXE

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

That's really an excellent reply and a great way of looking at things. Lately I have been skipping over the paranormal/crypto shows unless its something I'm not too familiar with, like the Paranormal State episode about the Mothman, I knew very little about it until I watched that episode and saw how well documented that crypto is.

With Ghost Hunters though, I think if Jay and Grant shook hands with a full body apparition on live TV it wouldn't matter at all until the science was there. They have a lot of awesome evidence that would convince me if it weren't for where they do their investigations at. All of the public sites have a lot to gain from being on Ghost Hunters and having TAPS say their place is haunted, so its real easy for me to believe that they would hoax the TAPS team.

If I had to put my money on any one group making a huge discovery I think that it would be the Destination Truth team. They seem to be pretty thorough and are investigating cryptos I've never even heard of.

posted on Mar, 15 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The problem with all of these types of shows is that they are created for ratings. While I enjoy them, I know that they will never reveal anything new, but they do give a good background information for those who have no clue. I enjoyed the first two seasons of Ghosthunters, but now it seems that they are in it for the ratings. Maybe someday we will get a show that really does not care about ratings but will present information without bias.

top topics

join