It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Weather Set To Hit UK On Monday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I just thought I would give all my fellow UK ATSers a heads up as this sounds as though it could be pretty bad.

An extreme depression is coming in from the west bringing damaging gusts of up to 80mph and heavy rainfall across the UK. Flooding is likely along the west coast as it coincides with the spring high tide. The rest of the UK will also be affected.

Get the sandbags out and baton down the hatches... we all know what this kind of weather does to our homes

More info...

Met Office

Sky News

Also, check out the video of the scuppered landing on the Sky news page.. pretty hairy!

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yup.. looks like its our due storm,

I really dislike high winds as i have half a really big tree from the last one, And im sure the other half will now go,

Guess all we can do it get prepared,
Im going out to the garden to move things that can fly around, and secure anything that cant be put away..

Making sure i have candles and money on my mobile,

Well i guess we will see what happens!

Stay safe fellow uk'rs, and dont go out in it unless you have to,

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hi there,
i forgot i read this earlier in the metro(free rag).
Its definately worrying times with all this weather.
I just hope my roof can take it.My house has been making some odd noises since the earthquake and i have cracks upstairs near the ceiling as a result.
I lost my shed roof last week,2 gardens away.
Oh well,thank god for relatives lol.

this bit made me chuckle from that sky news link

Wind speeds five or six miles up in the atmosphere will approach 240mph and anyone flying back from North America at the end of the weekend might do so in record time.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by tracey ace]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracey ace
Hi there,
i forgot i read this earlier in the metro(free rag).
Its definately worrying times with all this weather.
I just hope my roof can take it.My house has been making some odd noises since the earthquake and i have cracks upstairs near the ceiling as a result.
I lost my shed roof last week,2 gardens away.
Oh well,thank god for relatives lol.

this bit made me chuckle from that sky news link

Wind speeds five or six miles up in the atmosphere will approach 240mph and anyone flying back from North America at the end of the weekend might do so in record time.

[edit on 7-3-2008 by tracey ace]

Yeah, every cloud has a silver lining eh! lol. All we can do is be prepared as Asala said and hope the damage isn't too bad... meanwhile I am off out to enjoy myself

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
One of the biggest worries is that this storm coincides with one of the highest tides of the year. Could be spectacular scenes around the SW coast - but risk of serious damage from coastal flooding in place

SW Ireland looks set to be worst affected by winds, followed by SW England, Wales, South Coast and some inland South/Central parts of Southern England.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
As we have also suffered greatly in the past couple of years here in the MIdwest of the US , one suggestion I have is to have plenty of water drawn up and I even prepared some premade meals. Make sure to have plenty of comfort foods like homemade cookies and snacks. I will be following this with you guys, even if I can't help. Blessings and stay safe.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Thanks for the good wishes Antar
. It is a good point to mention that water supplies for anyone likely to be affected by flooding are crucial, look what happened in Tewkesbury and all around that area last June! You can never be too prepared.

Here is the latest update

BBC News

Met Office

[edit on 9-3-2008 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Great, ive got to go to work tomorrow on my push bike. They said the winds will be 80+. Ive got to go 3 miles to work, mayb i will take a day off? Better to be safe than sorry i guess.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Thanks for the early warning fiftyfifty, and also for the kind thoughts from antar. I have spent the whole weekend replacing steel sheeting on the back of my workshop, just finished and it's a little after four o clock Sunday. Thanks again, and good luck to all.

Horsegiver.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Dosnt anyone care about ireland? lol
It will hit us harder than it will the UK and earlier,
Its funny, while i hear all these warnings to the UK on english tv , on irish tv i havnt heard one thing about it

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yes Take care DIs, N ireland will also be hit hard,

The worst storm of the winter is on track to batter Britain tonight,
causing traffic chaos and coastal flooding.

Sailors in Dover secure their boat with storm cablesResidents are being advised to stay indoors and avoid unnecessary journeys.

To all Its better to be safe than sorry so if its bad in the morning take a day off,

your life is way more important,

I cleared up my garden so that hopefully nothing flys around,

Also make sure you get any pets in early,
news.sky.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Does anyone know if schools will be open tomorrow and if so, do you think it's wise to send the kids to school?
They said it would get worse again later in the day and i am thinking if that means around school ending time, it could be quite dangerous for kids walking home.
Any thoughts?

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
As we have also suffered greatly in the past couple of years here in the MIdwest of the US , one suggestion I have is to have plenty of water drawn up and I even prepared some premade meals. Make sure to have plenty of comfort foods like homemade cookies and snacks. I will be following this with you guys, even if I can't help. Blessings and stay safe.

This is great advice. I would add to maybe keep ice in the freezer and then put it in a big cooler to keep your previously frozen food cold. I have a charcol and gas grill that lets us eat in style even if the power goes out. Have batteries for a radio and hopefully you have some good radio programming. Planning ahead to have some comfort will let you ride through the alot of the worst. You can barter cookies for booze.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by geek101

With my professional hat on, I imagine schools will be open. I've not heard anything from my boss so I'm still going in tomorrow. If it get's dangerous, the kids will get sent home - we had to do it last year when tiles started flying off the school. Kids were screaming that they were gonna die and it was really all quite funny.

I'm getting set up to watch it all roll in.

I live in a second floor apartment right on the River Mersey so it shoudl be fun to watch - apart from the fact that my window frames leak, but I've stuffed them with kitchen roll so it's all good...

The spring tide today on the Mersey was about a foot from the promenade at one point so this could really be a fun storm (I find them fascinating - look at my avatar). Glad I live on the second floor.

Let's keep watching for it and hope no-one gets hurt.

Remember - 'There will not be a hurricane tonight.'

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

I have beer, pies and cigarettes.

All good. Not quite prepared for SitX - but it'll do for a storm.

I'll try and get some pics if it goes proper wild.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by more_serotonin_pls

thanks for that

kids are obviously hoping for it to be bad in the morning

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Disgustipated

i did hear it on irish radio disgustipated but the south and west is gonna get the brunt of it!

the east won't be as bad but i will be going to look at the high tide tomorrow and get some pic's..

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
geek101- Go on your gut judgement in the morning, If its real bad out there ... keep them home,

Do you have a way to pick them up if it gets bad? If not remember stuff like falling trees and roof slates, Also keep in mind of flooding if you are in an area that could be affected.

Its not just wind remember, High winds, hailstones, lightnings, and heavy floods,

so just keep all that in mind,

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Thanks Asala.
Well, i just got up, it's 5.13am and it sounds pretty bad out there, but apparently it's just starting, so i guess they will be staying at home. They walk home, i pick my daughter up (we walk) and my boys come by themselves. So yeah, walking is probably not the best idea

(I'm in west london by the way so it will probably hit us more in a couple of hours)

Hope everyone else is ok

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I've just got up, 7am and it's not too bad. It's rainy and a little breezy but i guess the Midlands will be hit later on as the low moves northwards. I've got a 3 hour drive to suffolk starting at 8am though so hopefully it won't be to bad on the roads!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join