It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Man Faces Life in Prison for Stealing Pack of Donuts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

But I just want to know..where can you get a package of donuts for fifty cents

You only get six or so quarter-size donuts jsobecky!

Since he beat the wrap I think he's going to do it again.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Everyone is overlooking one thing, and this should be a lesson for all:

Don't mess with the cops primary food group.

LOL that is the best post here!

I would take this advice.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Sounds to me like somebody is an idiot who doesn't know how to behave himself. The laws are nice and clear. If it was me, I wouldn't allow myself to be in that position.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I actually know Robert personally I've been friends with his family since i was in high school. He has had some bad times done alot of stupid things but he has been doing good for a while now he is a changed man. I believe he did think the person he was with had paid for the donughts.

Now they just want to make an example out of him over a pack of donughts! He is not stupid enough to risk strike 3 for something like that he knew one more time in trouble would mean strike 3. Here in kern county they like to keep coming after you once youve been in trouble. I was arrested just after turning 18 for a minor crime but still get stopped if i walk down the street when i go back to my home town to visit friends or my parents and that was 12 yrs ago. Havent been in trouble since.

Just sad really.

[edit on 3/6/2008 by Prove_it]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

His charges were drug related if i remember correctlly.. and an armed robbery

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Fantastic. This is exactly what the law is for. Getting people with no moral training off of the streets. Thank God for three strikes. This man had his chances and he threw it all away, he knew the consequences.

Completely agree. At what point does joe idiot stop & think. Well I guess he'll have lots of time to think about his past actions now. Personally I think it should be 2 strikes.

brill

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by SevenThunders

Nice Christian attitude there. How about having a society that invests in humanity instead of prisons? Maybe we should try removing the causes of crime, instead of trying to disarm the bomb after it has already gone off.

the only way we could remove the cause would be...change the law....i don't see that happening

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prove_it
I actually know Robert personally I've been friends with his family since i was in high school. He has had some bad times done alot of stupid things but he has been doing good for a while now he is a changed man.

I'm sorry, but it's always the same with these guys. They just can't seem to stay out of trouble, whether it's because of the people they're with or the situation they find themselves in. It's always something.

One felony would be more than enough for me. At that point, I change my entire life, lose all my "friends," get out of town, get out of the country, whatever. Whatever it takes. I definitely would not need that kind of trouble. Two felonies? I would be a ghost. Invisible.

But these guys just can't help stepping in it. At some point, you gotta start to think that if they're not working hard enough to not have it happen again, then that in itself is very bad. Maybe they need to go to prison to protect us and themselves.

They clearly don't know how to function in this world, and rather wait until their obvious and proven stupidity eventually results in some poor innocent bystander getting killed, they need to be tucked away somewhere.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Guy commits two felonies. He gets two breaks on those felonies. He knows that he is on his last strike so what does he do? He goes out and steals more stuff. Real smart. Then I'm supposed to care about him? I am supposed to be outraged that this career criminal is finally going away to jail? Why? Don’t worry; I’m sure he will be eligible for parole and be out on the streets stealing more stuff before we know it. He definitely needs to head to jail at this point - for a long time. He has used up his chances and has no one to blame but himself.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by zerotime]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

So we should all pay for this guy's living for the rest of his life to make sure he doesn't steal another pack of donuts? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Prove_it

Originally posted by Prove_it
I believe he did think the person he was with had paid for the donughts.

It's not that I doubt you or him, but common sense would have dictated that you ask the cashier if the donuts had been paid for, no?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

So we should all pay for this guy's living for the rest of his life to make sure he doesn't steal another pack of donuts? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me.

What alterative do we have? Let him go free to commit more crimes? He is committing crimes he goes to jail. That is the system. And it makes perfect sense to me. The solution to this problem is simple. Stop committing crimes.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by zerotime]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Fantastic. This is exactly what the law is for. Getting people with no moral training off of the streets. Thank God for three strikes. This man had his chances and he threw it all away, he knew the consequences.

Hey, maybe he did. And now he's sitting in prison getting free meals and free housing.

Can I still ask: why should the American taxpayer contribute to pay 40+thousand a year for inmates who have stolen donuts, smoked or sold some pot, or other petty crimes?

It's not about justice. It is a machine. And frankly, I'm a little disgusted at the comments of my fellow Americans.

We may not like felonies in this country, but since when are we about imprisoning people for petty theft? That's not American, that's some sick sort of Chinese communist mentallity. I'm surprised that the NWO has got so many of you thinking that way.

Shameful.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
ho hum, the article clearly states could be charged; so it hasn't happened yet.

All offenses come with a set maximum penalty. It doesn't mean that the maximum penalty is automatically fixed when the person commits the act.

The court will decide based on the circumstances what penalty to set...

this seems a little sensational.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
ho hum, the article clearly states could be charged; so it hasn't happened yet.

this seems a little sensational.

Thank you. I'm still shocked at the complicity of posters, fellow American citizens at this story...
once you have people using twisted logic to imprison one another for 'crossing the line' with petty crimes, you know something has changed.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

What alterative do we have? Let him go free to commit more crimes? He is committing crimes he goes to jail. That is the system. And it makes perfect sense to me. The solution to this problem is simple. Stop committing crimes.

Let the punishment fot the crime for God's sake!

But you're right, that is the system. Maybe if we're lucky, the system will start executing people for petit theft.

The solution is simple. Start giving people jobs that they can make enough to provide for themselves.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

What if they made a law about condescending attitudes? You might be in trouble then.

Three strikes!

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Yea, that's called being uneducated. It's a problem in the US today. People don't take the time to learn, and they just repeat what they hear on the news. We've got a few million little Bill O'Reillys running around.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bravocomp

Does the job description for DA include "You must be a stupid ***hole."?????
Sort of like the DA who had those border guards jailed for doing their jobs.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join