It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful earthquake with magnitude 6.3 - Nevada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
www.cnn.com... breaking news

"Powerful earthquake with magnitude 6.3 reported in the northeast corner of Nevada. "

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Is that anywhere near area 51, they always say that area is bad for earth quakes.

Any ideas?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
CNN says:

"A strong earthquake struck the northeast corner of Nevada Thursday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The USGS reported the quake was 6.3 magnitude and at a depth of 6.2 miles below the surface.

The epicenter was about 150 miles from Salt Lake City, Utah."

Fox News says:

"The U.S. Geological Survey said that a 6.3-magnitude earthquake hit northeast Nevada on Thursday.

The quake was reported at 6:16 a.m. PST near Elko, which is about 430 miles north of Las Vegas, according to wire reports.

It had an epicenter of only 3.7 miles and struckin a sparsely populated area 11 miles southeast of Wells near the Nevada-Utah line.

There are no immediate reports of damage or injures, but people as far away as Salt Lake City, Utah, which is 230 miles from Elko, reportedly felt the quake when it hit."

[edit on 21-2-2008 by Ronnie6657]

sty

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
another one , magnitude 4 this time:
41.02 -114.92 5.0 KM depth NEVADA

sty

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
the third strong earthquake in Nevada for today!
41.05 -114.92 Magnitude: 4.6 Depth: 10.0 km

i wonder what is happening with the underground constructions..

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Anyone know if there have been underground nuclear tests near those areas?

It would not suprise me a bit.

How could we check?
I'm sure the mil/gov complex is not in the habit of informing everyone when they are conducting nuke tests, but if so, aren't they awfully close to civilian population centers, and wouldn't they have to file something, somewhere?

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I just hope it isnt some prelude to the super volcano in Yellowstone waking up. I am not nervous about many geological events, but that particular one unnerves me.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
They could just be expanding there underground base.

If they intend to have more arrivals more room will be needed!

has anyone got any idea of the size of the underground base at area 51?

How many levels?

How many enterances exits?

Also is there any way if they were housing alien life they could fly there ships into the base?

But IMO they are expanding!

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
On local (Northern Nevada) news at noon today, they said that FEMA was in Wells, Nevada due to the earthquake. But the strange thing is, they said that FEMA said to expect a magnitude 7.0 or higher "aftershock" (in Wells area) and prepare for it. I thought I heard it incorrectly, but they repeated it.

Since when is FEMA in the business of predicting earthquakes?

I just phoned KRNV-news in Reno and verified the story. FEMA's statement was also on their website, which is down now, since the noon news, she said.

[edit on 2/22/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Since when is anyone in the business of predicting earthquakes. It's obviously easier to predict an aftershock as they almost always happen after a large quake but to say they should expect a magnitude 7.0 is kind of interesting. Almost makes you wonder if there IS some kind of underground testing or blasting going on. The first one could be a case of unintended consequences but I didn't think they did that kind of thing so close to populated areas. I think I read that Wells is only 11 or so miles from the epicenter and that's fairly close.

[edit on 22-2-2008 by Necrosis]

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I know-- it's bizarre: FEMA told channel 4 news, KRNV Reno, to expect a magnitude 7.0 or greater earthquake, presumably around the Wells area, since that is where FEMA made the statement. They said the people should "be prepared".

KRNV said when I spoke to them that they've had calls from people worried about that FEMA statement but they're telling people not to worry, that FEMA is "not USGS".

I still think it's odd as hell and wanted to post the FEMA statement, but KRNV's website has been down since the noon news.

sty

posted on Feb, 22 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I am not an expert in Earthquakes, but since when the aftershock is stronger than the initial earthquake?

top topics

join