It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now that Fidel Castro has resigned, what's going to happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Will his brother, Raul Castro, take over and rule for another set of years like Fidel Castro did (he may be too old for that)? Will our government do some sort of secret co-op and take over the country of Cuba? Do you think any secret plans by our government (US) is in the works?

jhh

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
If this and the next administration had any brains. They would extend their hand, end the embargo, and make up. But since grandfather bush lost a @#$%load of money after Castro nationalized every industry, probably won't happen until the Castros are out of the picture.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
True, our government has a huge grudge against Cuba. After Cuba gave them the finger, they shook the saber at Castro, then everyone else told the US to back the heck off. I guess the fact that a little blip of a country could be so close to America and not give a rip about we think would grate on alot power brokers here. To bad, too. Cuba's beautiful! great healthcare, too

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I personally would like Cuba to return to what it was before Castro.

A corrupt, wide open, hedonistic, playground for adults.

With the Buena Vista social club music playing in the background.

Let the developing and modernization begin.
But please keep the laid back lifestyle intact.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
They say you can't go home again, but I think that after Cuba opens up again organized crime will be back. I think there are going to be some mighty turf wars. The Russian criminal underworld will be fighting it out with the mafia and other gangs for control of the island.

Being Canadian we have a different perspective on Cuba than the US does, or than the Miami Cubans do. Canadians have had a lot to do with Cuba over the years since Castro took power. There is a guy from Canada named Thomas Hinds who got the exclusive (I think) right to import Cuban cigars into Canada. He has dealt with the Cubans for many years and is quite knowledgeable about the situation on the island under Castro.

He said in a magazine interview that I read that if Cuba ever gets out from under the US trade embargo it's economy is going to take off, because Castro has done a great job of educating the Cuban people and building up a sense of social pride and accomplishment. Cuba is not a nation of peons anymore.

But having said that, I don't think it will make any difference. I don't think they will be able to withstand the dark forces that surround them. The best thing they have going for them is the dictatorship of Castro. When that is gone they may wind up with a democracy that is very easy to destabilize and manipulate. That's what happened in the Phillipines when Marcos was ousted.

If the Miami Cubans return to the island, there will be a lot of trouble, even if Raoul Castro manages to normalize relations with the US and clear up the financial settlements and adjustments that must be a precursor to normalization. My two cents worth.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by ipsedixit]

top topics

join