It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whistleblower site offline: Wikileaks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Whistleblower site Wikileaks.org is offline.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Anyone knows why or what was leaked ?
ATS could be the next one.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hawk123

Why ATS? ATS is HARDLY the place where whistleblowers come. Its more like the hoaxers ; that website was dedicated to allowing others to break federal law of the utmost srcutiny and release documents and stuff that allows anyone to see. Not very smart......

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It was down for a while but it is back up here:

www....__._/wiki/Wikileaks

Also, the secure server stayed up during the outage. That's an interesting site to check out.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
BBC News Source

The case was brought by lawyers working for the Swiss banking group Julius Baer. It concerned several documents posted on the site which allegedly reveal that the bank was involved with money laundering and tax evasion.

The folks at wikileaks definitely pressed the wrong people's buttons.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I haven't followed the case that much lately but there seems to be some quite sinister things at work.

According to journalist Susan Hall at ITBusinessEdge.com:

...the site (Wikileaks.org) also suffered from distributed denial-of-service attacks and a fire that took out servers at its main host in Sweden, according to Network World.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It seems to have vanished again, i can not understand how a judge can order they have their databases wiped because of one case? i know there is likley to be more cases in the works but isnt that illegal?

Anyhow in my mind they just made the biggest mistake they could now it has a ton of publicity and people will want to see whats in those documents, i know i do.

All they have to do is link to a site out of the USA and if my thinking is right become untouchable? all this crap does is drive people underground with information.

When will these people learn the people will win in the end, you cant have a slave society with no slaves, when all is done and the depopulation is over, all that will be left are those doing the dirty work for those in charge, and guess what mr ill do your dirty work for you does not understand is its them who are left, so they are to be the slaves.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jarheadjock
that website was dedicated to allowing others to break federal law of the utmost srcutiny and release documents and stuff that allows anyone to see. Not very smart......

hardly smart?! I think it's a great idea. How could anyone be against this?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I do not understand the decision of the Court.
- Whistleblowers must be published for being Sarbanese Oxley compliant.
- Moneylaundering of a Bank is not allowed.
Who is wrong here ?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
they are online and thanks to the BBC here is the link: (if this is of interest to you that is)
wikileaks.be...

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Very interesting:

The largest Swiss bank specializing in hiding the assets of the ultra-rich, Bank Julius Baer

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Just checked the link and it's down...

anyone visit that site often? is it a decent source for info?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's back up for the meanwhile.
From what I can figure out they are directly defying the court order to shutdown which is brave.
This is such an open infringement of free speech where the courts are siding with the rich and powerful whilst the real crime is ignored and the real criminals are being pandered to.

These Wikileaks guys are awesome, there's an SOP for Gitmo on their site, they rule!!

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
BinaryFreedom supports Wikileaks.
binaryfreedom.info...
But I do not think Arnold Z will help.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Great ideas and smart ideas are not the same thing. While they're not mutually exclusive, they can be.

I think it's a great idea, but I also realize it's not a very smart one, especially if they can't cover their ass P2P style.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Interesting that the site is exposing corruption by big banks and their business and you have actually the law going in favor of the corruption? I guess somebody most be paying very nicely to have the site shot down.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Here's an article concerning the the matter:

blog.wired.com...

Wikileaks, the whistleblower site that recently leaked documents related to prisons in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, was taken offline last week by its U.S. host after posting documents that implicate a Cayman Islands bank in money laundering and tax evasion activities.

And evidentially the there been a fire set at the secondary hosting site also.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by scientist

Great ideas and smart ideas are not the same thing. While they're not mutually exclusive, they can be.

im still missing the point. they are still online - the only thing that happened, was that they lost 2 of their domain names. Big deal. Smart = hosting in multiple countries and using multiple domain names, which they are doing.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
One would have to weigh in the 'cause and effect ' vs. turmoil and outcome.

If they are not looking at any jail time or huge fines, I say they should continue on in their endeavor and keep people in the loop.

If say... 10 more sites popped up with the same game plan, the government or the other powers that be would be hard pressed to shut everyone down.

As mentioned, having multiple servers in different locations certainly makes it an uneasy tasked. The more you get the information out there, the harder it is to suppress.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Damn. I've had this site in my regular links for sometime now. But I haven't visited it for a while so I have no idea what those swissbank activities refered in BBC article were.

Damn, this is serious. It is of course debatable that whether or not classified documents can be legally posted in the internet - in my opinion they should, but I can see where the government stands in this. It was down just few minutes ago. I googled about it and found at least one more "mainstream" article: Slashdot... I hope I'll find more about it.

Generally sinking wikileads is just more government BS in the US

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I agree 100% that this is super serious. A fire in a server facility is rare to say the least, not to mention the D.O.S. shortly before. Now a California judge has stepped in to cover someones hindside. Here is a link to the files that caused the problems. I suggest as many people as possible download them immediately as this probably won't stop at just a fire and a court injunction. There are also torrents of the entire wikileaks site backed up. Here is the page with the file link and some other useful links. I am damn sure going to dig on this one because alot of people are going to alot of trouble to make this go away.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join