It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever See Water Freeze on Contact with Air?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Anyway my girlfriend got some images sent to her from her grandmother or something like that telling her someone that she knows is/was or something in Antarctica. These images below are what happens when waves break the ice and come to the surface.. Usually its frozen instantly.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Anyway so much for global warming.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Wow, those pictures are amazing! Truly beautiful to look at. I HATE cold and winter, but I'd make a trip just to witness something like that in person

Michelle

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Haven't seen it myself, but a WW2 Royal Navy officer told me that when he was sailing on the Murmansk convoys, the waves crashing over the bow and sides froze while in the air .. between the sea-proper and the ship.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Oh WOW those are the coolest pics I have seen in a long time.

That is just unbelievable.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
really nice pictures, theres something very pleasing about that yet more of the world i want to see

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
That is pretty awesome. I wonder what the temprature would have to be, to cause this effect.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Beautifull pictures, we live in an amazing world. I have never seen such pictures before, thanks alot for posting them, well done!

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have seen small droplets of pure water freeze in midair, but a whole wave of saltwater freezing in mid wave I suspect is impossible. What I see in these pics is uplifted ice, common wherever you have ice sheets over water.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
That was totally cool! I have never seen anything quite like that, thanks for posting it.

Try this one: Boil water (rolling boil) Temp outside must be minus 50C or so, and air completley still.

Toss water into air.

Enjoy the show!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It really is a beautiful world eh? It's amazing that the water would freeze so quickly, it reminds me of the creatures that were flash frozen.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
My brother also sent me these pictures via email, I am just astounded each time I see these pictures. Can you imagine getting tubed on those waves?

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This has already been debunked on Snopes, the walls of ice represent water that froze in the normal way (not through immediate contact with air), and was pushed up above the surrounding ice through pressure:

www.snopes.com...

They are beautiful pictures though, and it is a very interesting phenomenon!

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing these.

They are indeed beautiful.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It's blue. I thought the only blue ice was glacier ice. I also have a hard time believing a wave 200 foot high freezes instantly. Where is the ocean in those pics anyways?

[edit on 2-9-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Very nice pictures, but those are not frozen waves. This is what is known as “blue” ice. Blue ice is very old sea ice that over a large number of years of being frozen all the impurities, such as salt, actually drain out of it leaving nothing but pure water, the purest. If one just imagines how many years (1000s?, 10,000s?) it would take for the impurities to flow down through solid ice that is how old that ice is. Those areas are pressure ridges that push the ice up and then the wind carves it as it looks today.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Thats some real cold right there! I want to experience temperatures like that someday. I want to throw a cup of coffee in the air when its 50 below. Just to see what happens, even though I have an idea what happens.

posted on Feb, 9 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtb2008
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Thats some real cold right there! I want to experience temperatures like that someday. I want to throw a cup of coffee in the air when its 50 below. Just to see what happens, even though I have an idea what happens.

I don't know about coffee...but if you take boiling water and throw it up in the air at, say, -40 (that is when i tried it, when i lived in Laramie, WY), it will turn to snow instantly.

There is a video of it somewhere on the internet. I saw it on YouTube once (search Mt. McKinley, i think), and it reminded me of when i lived in Laramie (God it was cold there).

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
im sorry but to me it just looks like a glacier forming due to an ice age type process

it will most probably later cause some type of corrie and become another part of the sea

although that seems millions of years away it could happen much more quickly
as my theory is that once 2012 hits it is scientifically prove that we will be exactly in the centre of the universe where there is a dark rift but if we make it through onto the other side the climate will be different on that side

i believe this is why climate change is happening

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
.......thats why aliens come to earth...because its just such an amazing planet. We got the best pad in the universe
. thx for sharing the pics, awesome.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join