It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was a 'Scientologist', there is something you should all know...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The recent splurge of Scientology 'media' coverage didn't interest me that much, until I woke up this morning in a daze with the feeling of 'Whoah, that must be it', like you've discovered the mysteries of the Universe.

In 2001, I was a Scientologist for a brief moment of time, went to the Sunday Service - which bored me as much as my previous 'Christian' Sunday services, and completed one of their courses. I also did an IQ test which gave me a score of 135. I never thought of it much until recently, but I'm sure they 'upped' my score to make me feel special and to make me feel that I belonged.

Anyway, this is the most shocking bit of all.

I was attending a seminar in the Church, a talk given by a guest speaker from the USA (I'm Aussie). And I kid you not, this is what he said...

"Our global goal WILL be completed within the next 7 to 10 years" at the time, the room erupting in cheer, with me of course, sitting there like a complete idiot. I asked someone later what the global goal was, and she stated that it was the dream of every Scientologist, and that is to stop War, Poverty, and Insanity. Of course I should have realised this as these words were strewn on posters all over the church.

Now at the time, I thought 'how in the world are you going to do that'. And it never really occured to me (and I still don't know whether they can pull it off), but the recent media attention seems to be the start of a major activation of starting their 'world domination'.

This anonymous group, I'm believing that its a Scientology setup, I mean, documents that have been 'leaked' are not supposed to be in ebook format, all their stuff is hard copy. I would bet its a way to get some 'interest' in their beliefs - a lot of you started reading the material right??

This biographer of Tom Cruise - Anybody find out if he's also a Scientologist?

And who in the world 'leaked' out that Tom Cruise interview? Its all coming rather quickly don't you think.

As I've realised, ANY publicity, is freaking 'fantastic publicity' when it relates to the Church of Scientology.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

I find it hysterically funny what you just said here, although it could just be me, but I think that the Tom Cruise bit was released as a way to make Scientology look bad. LOL, I mean who would want anything to do with it if Tom Cruise does?

It's publicity alright, but negative publicity!

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

As I've realised, ANY publicity, is freaking 'fantastic publicity' when it relates to the Church of Scientology.

Really?

I have never seen positive publicity about CoS. And in fact, the more that comes out about CoS more people deem it as a crazy cult.

I believe people reading the material does not show they are interested in CoS in a necessarily positive way. It is people wanting to know what exactly is going on - like in a disclosure kind of way.

I really cant see anyone here converting to it anytime soon. However, I could be wrong - I am wrong *sometimes*

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Why on earth did you take a IQ test?

Is that something you have to do to be a member? and if so why?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Im a Marty

"Our global goal WILL be completed within the next 7 to 10 years" at the time, the room erupting in cheer, with me of course, sitting there like a complete idiot. I asked someone later what the global goal was, and she stated that it was the dream of every Scientologist, and that is to stop War, Poverty, and Insanity. Of course I should have realised this as these words were strewn on posters all over the church.

Yeah, as if they really could do this. It's their buble you know.

I see this that way:
How can you keep people bound to you?
Simple with promises that sounds fantastic and that you never going to fulfil. Fully Sientology style.

People have dreams. Scientology makes use of peoples dreams and desires in every way possible. Might and money and people that fall for this and give their money. That's what makes Scientology dangerous. It's like a cancer in society amplifying insanity and poverty and mabye even contribute to wars.
Are they really mighty or is it what they want you to believe?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Im a Marty
The recent splurge of Scientology 'media' coverage didn't interest me that much, until I woke up this morning in a daze with the feeling of 'Whoah, that must be it', like you've discovered the mysteries of the Universe.

In 2001, I was a Scientologist for a brief moment of time, went to the Sunday Service - which bored me as much as my previous 'Christian' Sunday services, and completed one of their courses. I also did an IQ test which gave me a score of 135. I never thought of it much until recently, but I'm sure they 'upped' my score to make me feel special and to make me feel that I belonged.

Anyway, this is the most shocking bit of all.

I was attending a seminar in the Church, a talk given by a guest speaker from the USA (I'm Aussie). And I kid you not, this is what he said...

Now at the time, I thought 'how in the world are you going to do that'. And it never really occured to me (and I still don't know whether they can pull it off), but the recent media attention seems to be the start of a major activation of starting their 'world domination'.

This anonymous group, I'm believing that its a Scientology setup, I mean, documents that have been 'leaked' are not supposed to be in ebook format, all their stuff is hard copy. I would bet its a way to get some 'interest' in their beliefs - a lot of you started reading the material right??

This biographer of Tom Cruise - Anybody find out if he's also a Scientologist?

And who in the world 'leaked' out that Tom Cruise interview? Its all coming rather quickly don't you think.

For those naysayers here, publicity, of any kind, is still that, publicity. If you bring something to someone's attention, whether negative or positive, you are still shoving it in front of their eyes, and potentially re-directing their "mind's eye" to pay attention.

For every 10 people that switch stations, there are at least 10 people that are watching it and defending it. Word of mouth travels fast.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Sounds very plausible to me.

Despite all the excitement and support for Anonymous, I think people forget to question a couple things.

1.) A conglomerate of hackers bringing down major corporations is one of the BEST ways to turn the internet into a 'terrorist warzone' for the government to patrol at will, someday, most likely, turning it into just another control zone for the NWO.

2.) The free publicity for Scientology is already out of control with the media (not a coincidence, people honestly don't care about Tom Cruise that much). Once the internet is all about 'taking down Scientology', a large portion of people are going to want to be on the other side of the battle (monkey vs. monkey syndrome). They will begin taking seriously the idea that Scientology is the new Christianity etc.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I have to say that I made a mistake on the first post - I was thinking while writing what exactly to say, but realised the goal was not to remove 'War, Poverty, Insanity' but rather 'War, Criminals, Insanity'. My mistake.

Thanks for all of your responses

Greeneyedleo - With reading the material, even if you despise the group, and something comes up that you agree on, you could possibly change your mind about the subject matter. Many people hate Scientology.... only because others say they hate it too, yet I doubt many people have personal experience with them. I learned quite a lot actually with the one course I did, and it was really quite simple ideas really.

Rumrunner - the IQ test is optional, the idea behind it was you take it before you join, then you do the test again after your a clear - as they claim that your intelligence improves after removing the 'reactive' mind. I never took the second test, i ain't clear *grin*

g210b - I don't know how 'mighty' they are, although some cities in the USA have nearly every citizen being a Scientologist. I believe 'Clearwater' is their mecca... 'Clear-water'. Get it
. They also have Scientology schools, all their education is Scientology based, university style. But I agree, I believe its hyped to make them greater than they are.

Spartankingleonidas - That was my point, you see, I never would have joined the church for I had not heard about it in the media. I never heard of them till 2000, and if I recall the news story, it was about them being labelled a cult in Germany.

NewWorldOrder - I agree there on point #2.

Thx

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I find it interesting that you said you joined after hearing publicity about it. Being labeled as a cult would be what I consider negative publicity at that, but you joined?

I don't mean to get to personal here, but what is it that made you decide to only experience this "for a breif moment of time?"

I read several books many years ago and thought it was interesting, in a Sci Fi sort of way, but actually threw all the books I had away when I heard about people commiting suicide while in the process of becoming a "clear."

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan

I find it interesting that you said you joined after hearing publicity about it. Being labeled as a cult would be what I consider negative publicity at that, but you joined?

I don't mean to get to personal here, but what is it that made you decide to only experience this "for a breif moment of time?"

I read several books many years ago and thought it was interesting, in a Sci Fi sort of way, but actually threw all the books I had away when I heard about people commiting suicide while in the process of becoming a "clear."

I didn't join because of the article, from a young age i always questioned everything and I rarely went along with what anyone else suggested - i was a sort of rebel in that regard. I joined Scientology because I was diagnosed with a mental illness (which I no longer suffer mind you) and i hated how the medication made me feel. I was looking for alternative therapies, holistics et al, and decided to join the church as just another avenue to get away from these pills. The one thing that I liked most about the church, was their support, however some might say that they had alterior motives behind their support - aka money.

Which was the reason I actually left, I left because I couldn't actually afford it, I was out of work and when i did get work, I had no time, so it was a catch 22 situation.

I do have a Scientologist friend however, he's a top bloke and very accomplished. He started Narconon over here, and he helped many people beat the habit of drug addiction, I've seen people transform so much, and for that I commend him.

Just like anyone else, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, Scientology was a part of my life, however its something I would never return to.

Thx

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think the OP's speculation is entirely plausible. In today's media saturated world it takes more and more to garner attention. One has only to observe the pathetic lengths to which Brittney Spears has gone as her star has fallen. The brain is, essentially, a computer and the media constantly downloads info, some good, some bad.

The reality is, as stated above, any publicity is good publicity when it comes to memes in society. There is an unseen architecture at work through the media. The PTB and special interest groups, such as CoS, have figured out to lob info-bombs at our psyches in order to illicit a desired response and most of us are oblivious.

However, I completely agree that it is entirely possible that such notorious "hacking" (and I use the term loosely as it may be staged) could lead to over-zealous and authoritarian tactics in order to clamp down on the internet.

[edit on 25/1/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, as far as criminals and war go, you can't say their cause isn't noble. The insanity stuff may be a little out of their league. They're a little bizarre. I only hear bad stuff about them and Tom Cruise is a little wacky, but since I've never personally looked into them, how am I supposed to make a fair judgement about their organization.

I'm not saying it isn't fun to bash them. But if you want to be fair, at least look at their side. Otherwize yous jest a Scientology RACIST!

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Does anyone know of other celebrities or higher-ups that are members of this church?

I am thinking now how funny it would be if CoS was officially exposed and all of these socialites started denouncing their involvement after publicly supporting it in the past. That's making a lot of assumptions granted.

I find this very entertaining.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

Here are a few that outside of John Travolta, surprised me as supposedly being members.

Kirstie Alley
Giovanni Ribisi
Jason Lee

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
reply to post by sputniksteve

Here are a few that outside of John Travolta, surprised me as supposedly being members.

Kirstie Alley
Giovanni Ribisi
Jason Lee

Also Jenna Elfman, and that chick from 'From dusk till dawn' - don't know her name.

Also Will Smith has been 'recently' recruited - and possibility of the Beckhams. Packer in Australia (Australian Media Mogule) is also one.

Thx

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

You sound like an apologist for Scientology more and more with every post. You begin negatively, then the bait and switch begins in earnest, with a scientologist freak you know being a good guy, starting a cool group to help people...

Sounds like you still have tremendous sympathy for them yourself. And as you were the first to point out in this thread, all publicity is good publicity.

Whilst I doubt your IQ score very much nevertheless you must feel superior to want to foist such bait and switch stuff here.

I wonder if the defunct site you have linked to a few times overlaps with Scientology much- possibly as a feeder cult.

I will investigate and report back.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well it was a part of my life, and as I said I only left because I couldn't afford it - so in that regard yes, I don't hate them like everyone else, I think i made it very clear that I wouldn't follow it anymore though, but thats it.

I also doubted the IQ score - if you read the post, you'll see why.

To save you time - the 'other links' have nothing to do with Scientology - but I'll wait for you to report back

Thx

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I agree that scientology is interesting in a Sci-Fi kind of way. I don't see it having any real application to the real world. If their reading material, texts, etc, were actually about a fictional group in a fictional world I might find a way to admire them. However, as things stand, I don't think that I could stomach hearing anyone preach about their beliefs. It's just another way for the rich and powerful to distance themselves from the average person, and make themselves feel righteous at the same time. It's childish overly imaginative optimism at it's finest, and it makes me want to punch the Snuggle Bear in the face.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Will Smith's a Scientologist

That man was one of my heroes (he may still be even though he's now lost his mind).

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyjackblack
Will Smith's a Scientologist

That man was one of my heroes (he may still be even though he's now lost his mind).

At least that is the latest rumor (see link below):

Will Smith boosting Scientology

It's interesting to me what some people won't do for a friend..lol

Johnny

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join