It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Asteroid that MSM isn't reporting?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

YouTube Link (in case above video isn't showing): www.youtube.com...

Ron Paul aside (his blackout is a conspiracy in itself), is the information at the beginning of the video true? Is an asteroid going to come THAT CLOSE to us in less than a month? How come I haven't heard about this on any news networks?

[edit on 1/5/2008 by SonicInfinity]

[edit: fixed code for video]

[edit on 5-1-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
wow this is terrible, another X to add to my calendar

[edit on 5-1-2008 by plug_pray]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The asteroid in the movie is 243IDA, with it's very peculiar shape. And not TU24 as reported!! SO what is wrong in it? The name, the pic or the tragectory»?!

TU 24 don't apear in the "big" asteroids list also...
(It's in portuguese, but scrool down and you see the list clearly)
Asteroid belt

wikki link to 243 IDA

As a asteroid it´s big but not the biggest one, but have a uniqueness, it have a very small moon, what it's quite rare.

I lost my astronomic programs, so i can't at the moment try to simulate it's trajectory.
Any one could try it please? Just to see if this have some true behind it.

[edit on 5/1/08 by Umbra Sideralis]Tons of typos & errors...as usual

[edit on 5/1/08 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well, that is the right trajectory.
NASA JPL Small-Body Database Browser

This is the only information I can find on the size. It's slightly less than 1/5 of a mile in diameter, but close enough..

Approximate diameter: 316 meters (H=20.153)
Closest Earth approach: 1.44 LD at 0830 UTC on 29 Jan.
Inside ten LD of Earth: 24 Jan. until 3 Feb.
Inside Earth's Hill sphere: 27 to 31 Jan.

via Earth's Busy Neighborhood

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Oh my. Gotta' show DG this thread. She'll appreciate it.

Ya' know .. THESE are the things we should be hearing about in the news. NOT Britney or Paris ... what a waste of time and what a distraction!!

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
TU24 is between 250 and 550m across and on the 29th Jan it will come to within just 1.4 lunar distances to the Earth - ie at it's closest it'll be nearly one and a half times further away from us than the Moon.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

There appears to be no risk of impact (near earth objects sometimes plass mcuh closer to the earth than the Moon) and it won't be visible to the naked eye.

Hence, not a news story.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I think that's just a prediction.

You know, these animated graphs that showed the dot movements of asteroids, planets, etc in the video - how many times did the asteroid dot hit the earth and that nothing happened?

[edit on 5-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

That makes sense. I am not trying to be facetious here or anything, but why is it that with the large meteor that may or may not hit Mars at the end of the month (weird coincidence on the timing, isn't that on the 30th?) they are revising their odds of impact on almost a daily basis? Yet with this one, it is just a done deal that it will be 1.5x farther away than the moon, no need to panic.

Do we just have more accurate monitoring systems for the asteroids that approach the earth? I would have thought that the same would be used for both with similar accuracy levels.

Again, just an honest question.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Is it just me.. or is it odd that the picture representing Asteroid here, looks uncannily close to the photos taken here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is it just me? I am referring to the 2nd of the pictures.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hummm...Excuse me, sorry to interrupt your asteroid debate...But why nobody noticed, as i stated in my last post, that the asteroid TU24 image in the movie is in fact the 243 IDA!!??
Pause the video in the asteroid image and compare it with my pic!...thx
It can be possible that nobody can't see anything weird in that?

I wonder what you would think if i had make a similar video using a flying potato pic instead of a 243 IDA one, calling it TU24...

I am wrong in any way and 243 IDA now is known also as TU24??

But i think not...anyway...just asking

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
well if the Asteriod does a close fly-by people Will See it, and something could very well happen right after with the general population.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

That makes sense. I am not trying to be facetious here or anything, but why is it that with the large meteor that may or may not hit Mars at the end of the month (weird coincidence on the timing, isn't that on the 30th?) they are revising their odds of impact on almost a daily basis?

The Mars asteroid, 2007 WD5, is a recent discovery so its orbit is being refined as more observations are made.

And, as far as I know, the chance of 2007 WD5 hitting Mars has been revised only once, from 1/75 to 1/25. I'm hoping it gets to 1/1.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
shhhhhhhh! I know what's going to happen!! we'll remove it from space with help from our secret military base on the dark side of the moon. One large laser plus zero atmosphere equals cloud of dust!! perfect cover story. no one saw a thing. Or something like that.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
There's nothing to report!

Every day the nightly news reports the deaths and accidents.
They don't report the near deaths and near accidents do they?
No.

Every once in a while the news reports the latest person to hit the lotto.
Do they report the guy that came close to hitting the lotto?
No.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This OP brings up a very good point regardless. Even with our current tech advances no gov or scientific org has really seriously addressed how to manage a NEO possible strike. If we got our heads out of the sand this issue should be as globally addressed as our billion dollar ISS. But then there is SARS, bird flu, supervolcanos etc. I guess the only plus would be the panic sex. I read somewhere there was a mutual russinan/us volley of missiles launced from the arctic two years ago. If true, I wonder what that was about?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Just as food for thought, there are threads here and elsewhere about "comet" blasting space probes of ours. And then in the FOIA Documents, (or maybe something I read from a Post in Space Exploration), there's a study on how to use a space rock as a weapon.

Now how much lead time and math would you need to know just how to nudge such an ideal sized potentially wonderful kinetic energy weapon at earth, and be reasonably sure it would hit near it's target?

How much physical damage would it do? How much political damage would it do? How much psychological damage would it do?

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If Tenguska is any indication of complete obliteration for many square miles consider a strike over a metropolis. I remember reading somewhere (God only knows where) the fear a meteor strike over pakistan/india might be construed as a nuclear strike and start a major nuclear exchange. It was years ago but well remembered.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
*bump*

Is this thing serious or not?

watchZEITGEISTnow

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

How bout this time like you say, it wont actually hit the earth, but ends up hitting our moon or earth?

I believe we need both...
the trayectory gives us an idea where along it flies, lets just hope your right.

just to be sure I'll make sure to have the best 9 days till then

top topics

<<   2 >>

join