It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the news change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
When I'm at work I'll often read the news during breaks or lunch, I take note of interesting article and send them to myself so I can look them over at home as well.

There are times when I have received my own emails and wondered what I found so interesting... and yesterday I found something odd happening ...

I found this article interesting - at first I had found it interesting because it had quoted a gentleman stating the the US economy is weakening at an accelerating pace (or something to that effect). But if you read the article, there's not a peep about that in there anymore.

Yet, if you google the article with: TOPIX + us economy weakening as the keywords one of the top 3 results will have the quote in it still...

Japanese Stocks Tumble; Topix Has Record Opening-Day Fall ... ``The U.S. economy is weakening at an accelerating pace,'' said Yoshihisa Okamoto, ...

I've also noticed some news on Yahoo! News change as well... I understand editors want to make sure stories are correct or are updated with information, but wonder why it seems to be "negative" information that gets removed.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I find this particularly intriguing because most people only read the news ONCE so, who would notice? How long has editing of internet news been going on? How quickly do the changes take place? Is it only negative information that gets edited out? I'll be looking at this with much more detail in the coming weeks...

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
There's some other on ATS that are asking a similar question.

Sometimes news topics completely disappear or get buried by the specific news media.
I was looking for a bit of news on the BBC news web site the other day that i had only just seen a few hours beforehand. It wasn't there.

I knew where I had seen the article, but was left confused, so i searched all my other bookmarks to no avail. Went back to BBC and did an article search using keywords and i found what i was after.

It does seem to strengthen the theory that we are told only what they want us to know and sometimes, according to others here, the actual articles do get modified accordingly.

Why is anyones guess right now.

Check this thread as it is along the lines of your question.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hope this has gone some way towards answering.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Not modifying, updating it's called as more information becomes avialable. Objections from people in power, threats about sueing will alter a text for sure, or sometime someone might write something that some higher up just doesn't agree with.

BBC alters its articles all the time. Try to open any news snippet from BBC older than say one day, and chanches are the text has changed. The worst in that regard is Bloomberg. You can find rather sharp comments, only to find the whole article rewritten a few hours later.

I guess it could be a question about suiting the costumers. And they are not us but the advertisers.

join