It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who has the best Special Forces ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by f16falcon
ya delta is chosen from the special forces i.e (rangers, seals, berets etc.,)

Au contraire, mon ami, any MOS can try out and qualify for Delta training if he has what it takes. They'll train you in the ways of Delta, just like any other MOS.

Speaking of Delta, Col. Beckwith trained with the SAS and GS-G9 (another crack outfit that hails from Germany) and built his idea around what he learned from them.

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
isnt it the spetnaz the german SF if not what is it

Russian

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 09:31 PM
link   
heres a page about delta force on special operation.com
www.specialoperations.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 09:34 PM
link   
ypu dont just try out for delta they choose you and then break u down then build u back up. How can u try out for sometine that there is really no proff of existance(u know the whole this they deny cetain agencies) ALso i heard the German SF were really good. I still hink delta would win in the SF olympics

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Gurkhas are from certain of the tribes in Nepal. They are mercenary soldiers and most work for the UK -British officers, Gurkha NCO's and lower ranks.
Nepal is one of the most piss-poor -and one of the happiest -countries on Earth and there's no shame for them in being mercenaries: indeed it is a family tradition and an honour.
In one of its rare moments of lucidity the British Empire decided last century that instead of trying to fight these little iron-men it would be better to hire them to fight on our side.
They've given gloriously brave (many VC's) service to Britain ever since - and this despite frequent bad faith from British governments over pay and pensions.
They are beyond question the best jungle fighters ever known and there were attempts to involve them in Vietnam: but politics forbade it.
And Bob's mention of Koreans is interesting: it can be easy to forget these Third World soldiers: the Koreans are as hard as nails and merciless(the Japs used them frequently).

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 09:50 PM
link   
canadas JTF2 is pretty good it took the government a while to admit they were in afghanistan

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I must have been in an alcoholic delusion when I thought I went to the tryout in Bremerhaven Germany. Got my butt kicked in the run dodge and jump course, even though I kicked everything else. The recruiter, who was the same MOS as me, made me try it a second time, and then chewed my butt for wearing jump boots for the event (I didn't even think about it when I got dressed that morning). He said, however, he did the same thing and didn't make it until the second year and demanded I ensure I come back the next year. The next year I was out of the army as I listened to my (now-ex) wife.

German SF? Used to train as op-for for one of their units. We used to kick their butts.

link   
...perhaps the best-known thing about the Gurkhas is the kukri -their combat-knife: a ferocious implement and once unsheathed, it has to have blood. There's a bit of hype in that; but it's largely true and this reputation was one of the reasons the Gurkhas were so successful in combating the Japanese. Not every Jap was a kamikaze; but every Gurkha wa a "me or you" soldier.

link   
Those are the guys that can kick ass that have those knives right. yea i heard of them. Last year someone hired them to be undercover agents on some crusie liners wish i could remebr wher i heard that crap stupid stupid stupid.

posted on Dec, 12 2002 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
...perhaps the best-known thing about the Gurkhas is the kukri -their combat-knife: a ferocious implement and once unsheathed, it has to have blood. There's a bit of hype in that; but it's largely true and this reputation was one of the reasons the Gurkhas were so successful in combating the Japanese. Not every Jap was a kamikaze; but every Gurkha wa a "me or you" soldier.

I have seen these knives they have a spike near the handle, so that if they don't draw thheir enemies blood they have to draw their own.

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Nod they came down to help out in E.Timor, and scare up the militias some.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read any books by ex-delta members? I've read a few by ex-sas types, and they all seem to be rather dismissive of the US SF. Nice guys and all, but not up to SAS standards. Was wondering what the general view of SAS from delta is?

It seems the large difference between the 2 is sas is much more trained to operate independently. I think in the first gulf war the SAS spent a lot more time in iraq than USSF did eh?

posted on Dec, 13 2002 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Au contraire, mon ami,

WOAW. You know some french words ! And you didn't do ANY faults !
I was thinking that I was alone here.

ha ha ha....You are learning french TC, when everybody is sleeping, you take a light and a french dico, and you learning discreetly.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Nod they came down to help out in E.Timor, and scare up the militias some.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read any books by ex-delta members? I've read a few by ex-sas types, and they all seem to be rather dismissive of the US SF. Nice guys and all, but not up to SAS standards. Was wondering what the general view of SAS from delta is?

It seems the large difference between the 2 is sas is much more trained to operate independently. I think in the first gulf war the SAS spent a lot more time in iraq than USSF did eh?

One of the best book to learn about Delta is Blackhawk Down. It goes into a fair bit of depth on the operators who fought in Somalia and their training at Ft Bragg. After reading this, it's hard to imagine that the Brtish SAS is any better in any way. Most Brit SAS acknowlege that Delta operators are the world's best at Close Quarters Battle.

The Australian SAS is widely regarded as the best, as they are more versatile and just as highly trained as the above mentioned units.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'll step up and speculate on the Russian Spetsnaz. They are obviously combat tested in Afghanistan and Chechnya, as well as other venues.

Consider that the only time that you hear about special forces in the media is when an op gets screwed up... you hardly ever hear about Spetznaz... Granted, that may well be because Russian media is so tightly controlled, or because they make sure if an op gets screwed up, the team doesnt ever screw up again...

As far as training, Spetznaz is in a cloud of mystery. However, the Russians are not at all squeamish about putting thier special forces through the most rigorous training, to the point of combat reality, and if thier troops get killed in training, that means they wont get killed in combat and compromise an op.

The one Spetznaz deployment that I am aware of was in Lebanon: In the mid 80s, about the time that US citizens were being kidnapped by Islamic extremists in the hope that the US would pressure Israel into concessions, someone got the bright idea to try the same with Russian citizens...

Russia never once demanded the return of these people, and all demands to the Russians were ignored.

A small Spetznaz group was deployed into Lebanon... within 24 hours, several wealthy/powerful backers of the extremists began showing up dead, killed in very gruesome fashion. In a matter of days, the Russians were released in good health. After that, not a single Russian was kidnapped in Lebanon.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I'm actually watching a doco on the Spetsnaz at his very moment. Very interesting, however it states that their training isn't nearly as good as the top western SF.

The Lebanon incident should have served as a good example to the West as to how to deal with terrorists. The reason for the success was because the KGB had extensive contacts inside terrorist orginisations due to the fact that they had trained half the worlds' terrorrists.

There was one harrowing bit of footage of a cut off Spetznaz outpost in Chechnya. The commander is screaming for support over his radio while other operators are trying to hold off the Chechans. Every man in this bit of footage disappeared. It gave me a chill watching this.

If the Russian government gave them the proper resources then they could be very very good.

PS. They are interviewing ex-spetsnaz guys who work for the mafia now. One of them brazenly states that they fought as mercs for the Chechans against their countrymen.SCUM!!

This doco is excellent]/b] it's in two 1 hour parts. I think it was made in 1998 by a British team.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   
PARARESCUE
With a motto "That others may live", I think we have a winner. Who do you think goes in when Delta or Seals need to be saved? I have even heard these guys have saved foreign operators, but which ones remain classified. I was going to become a Pararescueman but the Air Farce will not take prior service. Too bad, it would have been awsome.

A buddy of mine from the airforce said he was at a bar, the place was PACKED no room. Near by he saw a table of SEALs. In came a team of rescuemen, the SEALs gave up their table. I was like BS, but he said the respect was that high.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   
If the Russian government gave them the proper resources then they could be very very good. Posted by Mad Scientist

I think that is the main downfall of the Spetznaz, they dont have proper equipment or support. If they were as well equipped and supported as western troops, they would be very formidable.

PS, I am very interested in the new NATO/former WARSAW East European SF teams that apparently took part in the war in Iraq. Anyone have any info on them? (Czech, Hungarian, Polish, ect?)

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
A buddy of mine from the airforce said he was at a bar, the place was PACKED no room. Near by he saw a table of SEALs. In came a team of rescuemen, the SEALs gave up their table. I was like BS, but he said the respect was that high. Posted by ADVISOR

That is true. I work with a former PJ (Para Jumper), and it is said that they never pay for drinks at a bar frequented by other servicemen.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider

PS, I am very interested in the new NATO/former WARSAW East European SF teams that apparently took part in the war in Iraq. Anyone have any info on them? (Czech, Hungarian, Polish, ect?)

Dragon, try www.specialoperations.com..., it should have information on the units you are looking for.

Advisor, in a remote part of Afghanistan an Aussie SAS trooper was killed by a landmine when his Landrover ran over it. The US parachuted in 3 medics and 2(?) combat surgeons to try and save him. Is this PARARESCUE ?

[Edited on 29-5-2003 by mad scientist]

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist[/i

Advisor, in a remote part of Afghanistan an Aussie SAS trooper was killed by a landmine when his Landrover ran over it. The US parachuted in 3 medics and 2(?) combat surgeons to try and save him. Is this PARARESCUE ?

More than likely, I know of no other units trained to do so.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join