It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Online MIT courses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
ocw.mit.edu...

Yeah, title pretty much says it all. Go to the link above and you can get free lecture notes for tons of MIT courses. I haven't looked at them much, but I've browsed what's there, and hope to look at the more interesting ones in further detail later. It looks really promising, and MIT is making it available FREE to anyone with an internet connection.

In case anyone is worried about copyright issues or something, it's all good because MIT knows they're giving this away, so it's not stealing or anything.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Open Courseware is awesome. I've been downloading various courses for the last half a year or so. I definitely approve.

/tn.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Why are all these courses out of date?
Are they still good???

I could use some schooling for work.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I'm not sure how to get the audio courses too work...any help would be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Yale has a similar program. They even stick webcams in for the lectures.

The catch is you can spend all of your time attending the lectures, reading the material and doing the coursework but you can't get credit.
It's great for the pompous underachiever to make him feel superior to his friends and family.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Or someone who loves information but doesn't necessarily want the feeling of "I have to study this because I'm paying $50k for it". Instead now I can look at it and say, I'm looking at it because I find it fascinating!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Angry Danish

Agreed, although personally I'd rather buy books on languages (japanese) any idea if those web cam lectures have any language classes as well? I'd love to get back to Japanese as well as French

EDIT: Quick question, I downloaded one of the japanese courses. But when I go back to the same link that the OP posted, it takes me to a completely different MIT website, anyone know why that is?

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Question]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Yale has a similar program. They even stick webcams in for the lectures.

The catch is you can spend all of your time attending the lectures, reading the material and doing the coursework but you can't get credit.
It's great for the pompous underachiever to make him feel superior to his friends and family.

Do you happen to have some links handy? I'll look on yale.edu and see what I find, but it sounds interesting

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I went to Berkeley, which is not as good as MIT, but a pretty good school nevertheless. While many of my professors at Berkeley were among the best researchers in their field, they were often lousy teachers. This is not to say that there were no good lecturers, but rather one would be shocked at how many bad teacherss you would find at a supposedly good school. Many professors had a disdain for teaching undergraduates because they felt it distracted them from their research and consultancies.

I would imagine MIT would be similar to Berkeley. Both schools' faculties consist of the top researchers in their field. Both schools' faculties focus on reasearch and consultancies and view undergraduate education as an afterthought. That being said, if you want to watch a real good college lecture, I would not expect to find it at MIT. I might loook towards a school whose faculty puts more focus on undergraduate education.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
mmm, pretty interesting, i'm looking into the learning japanese one right now.
and theres a lot of engineering ones but its pretty outdated

so that doesnt really help me much

join