It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia - It is so damn HOT!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Coober Pedy!
My dad was up there a few weeks ago!
Try 48 degrees heat!

Underground is cool though!

only 3 hours to the New Year!

helen

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by helen670

I know, I have to jump in the shower and get ready to shake my booty!!

I am dragging my butt though, blame the weather.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

MELBOURNE had its hottest New Year's Day on record, with the temperature climbing to 41.2C.

The top temperature was recorded at 1.30pm (AEDT) yesterday, beating Monday's 41.1C.

source

Maybe a decade ago people didn't even need an aircon in Melbourne...
I know my extended family there put one in due to the rising temps.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hi to the folks from Australia.

I know it's hot, and it's easy to link a very hot summer day with global warming but please remember weather and climate are different. The weather always exhibits extremes.

It's unbearably hot this December in parts of Australia, but its bone chilling freezing in parts of the US at the same time...

DENVER (AP) - Bitterly cold air poured southward across the nation's midsection Wednesday, dropping temperatures to record lows from Montana to Illinois.
The mercury dived to a record 45 below at West Yellowstone, Mont., the frequently cold spot at the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park, the National Weather Service said. The old record for Dec. 7 was 39 below, set in 1927.

www.breitbart.com...

This website www.bom.gov.au... shows that last December was the coolest ever recorded for Perth,
and that the highest December temperature ever recorded in Perth was in 1968 (42.3)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky

I know it's hot, and it's easy to link a very hot summer day with global warming but please remember weather and climate are different. The weather always exhibits extremes.

yes of course it does...but:

ADELAIDE has sweltered through its hottest year since records began 120 years ago, in a sign that meteorologists say shows climate change is already here.

The Bureau of Meteorology yesterday released its annual climate statement for 2007, showing South Australia also had its hottest year on record and Australia had its sixth-warmest year.
Adelaide's annual mean temperature was 0.3C above its previous maximum of 18.1C, set in 1914, and the hottest since records were first kept, in 1887.

more

Check out the image in the above link...

Really is so dry because of the drought... imagine seeing or experiencing a dust storm like that!

I am glad to see the BoM release the stats that support what I was saying.

Hottest year on record since records began!!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Hey, hey, hey, been there, done that. When I was living in central Oz's great dead heart it hit 60 (not in the shade) on Christmas Day 17 years ago. No, I am not lying, but I do point out this wasn't the shade.

Thats impossible because the highest temperatur ever recorded in Australia was 53.1 at Oodnadatta. How do I know you ask? I work for the weather bureau. Cloncurry did have the record sitting at 58 degrees but that has been ruled out due to the fact that the thermometer was kept in a beer crate instead of a stevenson screen which we (Bureau of Meteorology) use

[edit on 3/1/2008 by OzWeatherman]

[edit on 3/1/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Christmas day in Sydney was 21c. I'm more pissed off about that. Cold Christmas! It just doesn't seem right!

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Dingleberry has it right, Sydney must be in a different country.
www.bloomberg.com...

Sydney's Coolest Summer in 50 Years Leaves Empty Cafes, Gloom
"the La Nina weather pattern is delivering rain to farmers after the worst drought in a century, it's cutting profits for cafe owners, travel agents and insurers."No day topped 31 degrees celsius (88 degrees fahrenheit) for the first time since 1956. Average daily sunshine totaled 6.7 hours, an hour less than normal and the lowest since 1991-92. The average maximum temperature was 25.2, the coolest since 1996-97.

``Suddenly we get one cool, wet summer and everyone's complaining,'' said De Salis.

How has Adelaide and Perth been over the summer? Most of the prior complaining was in Spring.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by Eagle1229]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Read what I wrote more carefully.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Actually, 60 celcius would equal 140 farenheit.

ZOOMER

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I find it amazing that for the past few years Vic & SA have had heatwaves and over 40C temps while this year in Brisbane we barely cracked 30C all summer......Maybe Oz can explain it. I was even thinking about starting the fire at home shortly which I dont do until late may.....

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Dang....and holy crap!!!

I'm over here in Ontario, Canada, freezing my arse off, and you Aussies are having the opposite affect!!!

Well...I'm not asking freezing...sitting here, all snug and cozy in my warm apartment.

We use 'Celcius' over here too, and when I was looking at the poster's responses before me...wowwwwwwww

I have to ask you Aussies...how the hell do you keep cool at night? If it was me, the A/C would be CRANKED to the max right now.

I love my moderate/temperate climate here. If I were to step off the plane in Austraila right now...I'd be sick as a dog. Seriously! I can't handle too much heat. I'm a wuss. There. I said it. lolololol. I'm fair skinned, and burn TOO easy.

Here's a kicker for ya? Tomorrow, we supposedly getting another 15-20 cm. of the filthy white stuff again. Just after everyone plowed it, flakes are going to fall again.

The one thing I like about the Fall and Winter around here, is that, on some days, when it's not TOO cold outside, You can take a big breath of FRESH air. Feels Wonderful!

One of the things I hate about Summer time, is the HUMIDITY in the air. Once that kicks in, it's pretty hard to breathe.

Do you Aussie's have a bit of humidity around the coastlines, and is the air more drier towards the center of the continent?

~Ducky~

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
The heat is different.

Roger that! It definately is. On paper, there's not much difference, but in reality 36 deg's is like 44 five years ago.
Got my car booked in to get the aircon fixed tomorrow. Was hoping the heat was all over now Summer has ended, but now we've got another hell wave going on here.

Originally posted by TheDuckster
Do you Aussie's have a bit of humidity around the coastlines, and is the air more drier towards the center of the continent?

Pretty much. The southern coastline isn't nowhere near as humid as the northern one is. Here in Adelaide we have really dry heat. It's more tropical style heat up near Darwin etc.

[edit on 6/3/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The USA really needs to catch up with the world and use Celsius

Sorry to hear its too hot for you down there. In Eastern Canada we've had double the average snow fall. Woohoo! It's snowing! Again! Been a bugger digging it.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
very high 30's all week in adelaide, and the same forecast for next weekend.

looks like ill spend this weekend + the public holiday monday indoors, i had to work outside a few days this week and IT WAS HELL !

i started getting those "chill" drinks (frozen coke) on the way home to cool me down a bit and the darn thing is gone before i get down the road, i just need to put my lips up to the machine and sit there slurping it down as quick as it comes out.. i love those DIY "chill" sections at my local petrol station.

(licks lips)

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au
i started getting those "chill" drinks (frozen coke) on the way home to cool me down a bit...

No way! I started getting those last week too and now I'm hopelessly addicted to them!

Must be the marketing excellence of Fitzy.

[edit on 7/3/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
It's in the 40's here in South Carolina too. Actually 47. Of course to you guys in Australia that would probably read 8.333 degrees Celsius.

Google has a nice conversion calculator where you just type in something like
47 F = ? Celsius and click on search and out pops the answer.

I guess Australia is not getting much benefit out of the cooler La Nina effect then is it?

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The great lakes region which I reside is in for anywhere from an 8 inch to 2 foot snowfall coming from a low of all places the gulf of mexico. I used to remember the prevailing westerlies commanding most weather. The weather patterns have been changing, for what reasons I do not know.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rizla

The USA really needs to catch up with the world and use Celsius

If the USA needs to use Celsius instead of Farenheit Why doesn't the rest of the world need to use Kelvin instead of Celsius? Why do you want a temperature system that revolves around the Earth (you) instead of the Sun?

Picking a system that has nice round numbers might be perfect for Adrian
Monk but not everyone is Obsessive-Compulsive.
Which is a better title for a book Faranheit 451 or Celsius 232.777
0C is 273K and 100C is 373K Note the 1 for 1 degree corespondence
yet I doubt most would want to switch to Kelvin if they are used to Celsius.
Well maybe the Global Warming nuts would love to say its 300 degrees
today instead of 80.6F

Even older persons in English speaking countries still use Faranheit instead of Celsius That said, if you lookup what they think Mr Faranheit used
for his temp scale, its obvious they never asked him:-) everything from horse blood to mixtures of ice with chemicals to armpit temps.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a few weeks ago, it was 37C+ for at least 6 days straight! (here in perth that is.). that is nuts, never has it been so hot for so long, at least as far as i have lived here. this happened several times before too, December was a corker, christmas day being about 40 or something.

yet, the funny thing is the Goverment are telling us to turn out air conditioning down...! what planet are they from ? it still is hot now too, though it did in fact rain for the first time ever the other day, which was nice, for about 20 minutes until heated up again and made the humidity go through the roof. i envy those with single digit temperatures, or negative doubles... throw some of that weather over here!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join