It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you doing to help the poor this Xmas

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Myself am considered living in the poverty level but I am blessed by having my own car and I have a lot of art stuff and my computer.

This year I saw posted on a local Freecycle a lady giving a gift to a child away so I decided to do so as well. I could not afford a lot but in the end I bought two when I intended to give one away.

But in the long run I gave 3 of them away. It is a art kit for kids who like art. I gave one to Toy's for Tots and the other one I put on Freecyle.

But I got more emails then I had kits and I could not say no to the one so today I went to buy another one and I will give them another one.

I know the deck is stacked against people in more ways than one but I also know there are those worse off than I so I decided to help myself.

I choose kids who like art to promote the art in them so they can build a good future. I may not do freecyle again and I may do a battered sheltor place to help the kids as I read in this thread.

Barb

[edit on 14-12-2007 by FancyLady]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonna
I pray that our Father in Heaven work through many this Christmas season to help those less fortunate than them. May Father's light shine through them. Amen.

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree, there. Even the saintly Mother Teresa seemed to think that God purposely creates and maintains a group of poor, beaten-down people on Earth so that it gives other people a chance to do good by helping them. Maybe she was onto something. If there were no downtrodden people in the world, how could be display our charity?

"You can't count on God for jack. He pretty much told me so himself." -- Bender

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Well, I dont think just the poor need extra attention during the Holidays.

The families of our service members need help too. Even our service members who are in theater need things. Then there are the single [in my case] airmen who are far from home, who need a good holiday meal or just some acknowledgement. So usually I will bake them some cookies and leave a stocking on a couple of the doorm rooms doors..filled w/ things (snacks, gift certf)

I clear out my house and donate TONS of clothing and household stuff - including majority of my daughter's toys because she will be getting so much more stuff from family/friends.

I sponsor a military family. I bake cookies for the single Airmen. I send things to people who are deployed. I babysit to give the "single" mother some time off - because usually when their husbands are deployed they NEVER get a minute to themselves.

I try and do what I can do!

[edit on 14-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'll chuck a penny at a few maybe a fag if they are lucky.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Yesterday or the 13th of this month, a man down on his luck, asked me if I could spare some change. I reached into my pocket while saying yes, and handed hima $20. His eyes about popped out of his head, and he said to me God bless you. I replied, No God bless you.

After getting into my friends car, he was still laughing, looking over at me he commented about the fellows eyes, I had to laugh as well. But it was more do to my friends surprise at the fellas responce, so I said, did you see his eyes when I gave him that $20.

Laughing still he goes, yeah thats why I am laughing so hard.

Not that the fellows situation was hilarious or anything, but the features of surprise on his face was worth the moment. The guy went straight across the parking lot to a Pop Eyes chicken fast food place.

It's a good feeling, to help another person who needs it, wasn't the first time I have helped some one. It wont be the last either.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm glad you asked! Modesty forbids a reply. ------------------------------PC

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I thought it would be a good idea to emulate what Bush and Cheney are doing for the poor this year so I am glad to announce that I am doing absolutely nothing.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Perhaps we should have a worldwide Communist Government without money so everybody is the same.
Personally, I've already helped the poor. I went out, found a job, and support myself and my family. And when that job wasn't enough, I sacrificed so I could get more schooling and get a BETTER job! And then, when I got divorced, and most of my money was going to the ex-wife, I got a BETTER job so I could continue to support myself.
I saw a man on the street once. He was holding a sign saying he'd work for food. When I offered to bring him out to our construction site to do some clean up work for 3 hours in exchange for $25 in groceries, he refused. He wanted the cash. I said no to cash and he politely gave me the finger. At that point I wanted to spit on him but I held back and merely suggested he change his sign to something more honest. At that point, he kicked my truck door. So, I called the cops and showed them my door and hauled him away.

It was at that point my charitable nature went BYE BYE! To hell with the poor.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
What am I going to do? To be honest, not much or nothing at all.

I live a simple life in the middle of nowhere, farm and sell my grain.

Somebody will eat the product. I guess thats helping... ish.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ahh, Christmas. The season of goodwill to all (for the sake of political correctness) people. For the sake of human correctness, to all things.

Why do we need a season for goodwill?

Where I can, I donate charitably all year round and make my actions and endeavours of those towards those of such that will alleviate suffering (or at least towards such that wil not increase suffering). All year round. Not just limited to any specific season.

But then again, I am not Christian...

Enjoy your annual salve of the soul, people.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
>>>>>>>>>>>>>I don't think helping the poor for a few days out of the year is a tremendously noble thing to do. Instead, what I'm doing is grinding away at my own job, keeping the economy chugging along, and trying to keep myself from becoming poor.

Otherwise, I think it's more important to try and acknowledge people who are depressed or lost in their lives, regardless of their financial situation. Some people are not bothered by being poor, while others are disturbed and saddened even though they seem to be "successful" and have a lot of material possessions.

But it's a full-year thing, not just for the holidays.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I take all my old food, and throw it in the trash so that when someone digs through it, they can find something. I also take all my old clothes and use it to make a huge bon fire in my back yard. This way any wondering vagrants can look in awe and beauty from a distance at the wonders of a warm place. I also occasionally pay my taxes which are use to support a bunch of lazy people, and insult them on the street when I see them to incline them to get a job, get off the street, or save me a bunch of hassle, and just die, perferably a quick efficent death next to a hospital so that we can harvest there body to save people that actually contribute to society.

Cheers, Merry whatever and all that.

Camain

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
this thread is ironic. I hope some of you other posters / readers can see the irony of these posts.

Person A: "I like helping the poor during the holidays"
Person B: "I like helping people all the time, I'm doing more than you"
Person C: "They don't need material items, I'll keep the world turning"

Regardless of your reasoning for donating / not-donating, it's your attitude that counts. Even if you are donating to charity, if it's out of spite - than I think it's because of some guilt you are dealing with. Don't look down on anyone else because they are or aren't helping someone less fortunate, no matter what time of year it is.

There are so many other things to nitpick and debate about, this thread would have been the last place I would have expected it. Shows how very naive I am I suppose. I'm learning though

[edit on 15-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
T o help the poor I am voting for Dr. Ron Paul.
By increasing the freedom of the individual we are increasing the Individual's ability to help themselves.
A farmer feeds his sheep because he owns them and they are his responsibility. Due to the fact that I do not want to "own" another human being and believe that slavery is evil, I wll not feed any other man. Only help him get the oppurtunity to feed himself.

Freedom form the elitist bankers and globalists, warmongers and tyrants. That is how you help the poor. Put them in the position where they can and must help themselves.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
since charity has become mandatory through by the US government, our household have paid alot in taxes, some of which goes to helping the poor who many times in the past have enjoyed a lifestyle we couldn't afford....
think we did our part.
I have given a little bit to a coworker this past week so he could go to the doctor and others in the shop have helped him get that nice $160 perscription filled, but well, it was officially confirmed, he isn't poor, so I guess that doesn't count does it?

[edit on 15-12-2007 by dawnstar]

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I see the good, the bad and the ugly in this thread, and you all know where you fall.

Peace, love, Health and Happiness to all

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FancyLady

Barb...Your story touched my heart...and I am a gettin old softy

But...

For you to be so generous, despite your situation....You really do deserve much praise for your so kind acts from the rest of us...

I hope my blessings to your and yours help some over the Xmas period...You are one of those people who continue to make me so glad about the future of humanity..

You keep yourself and your tribe safe, well and happy over Xmas Barb....If there is more I could do, from half a world away, I would...

But just know there is some guy in Australia thinking bout you guys on Xmas day and loving you guys to the max

Peace

Tony

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Ditto to what Tony said.

Thinking and helping others not only at this time of year but all year long should make your soul feel good.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
As much as I can. I'd like to do more. This Christmas I'm paying back--with time and/or money--the people who helped me out when I was going through a difficult period in my life. The ability to give without being judgmental is a great gift.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It was originally slated to be my university adopting the family, but it quickly turned into my girlfriend and I running with it.. and it has gone rather well. We've adopted a family of five for Christmas and have bought gifts for each of the three children, and for the mother and father. We have worked to receive donations from local organizations to provide a meal for the family, and have picked up whatever else was needed.

The three children, four, two, and three months, all have some of the newer toys that are out. From a Thomas Train Set to something called Baby Alive, it was a lot of fun doing the shopping. (I hate shopping!)

We're going to meet the family on Tuesday and give them everything, so they can put it all under the tree in plenty of time.

We can't change the world, but we can change it for one family.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join