It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Coningsby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hi there to all.

i am hoping some one can help me identify a feature at RAF Coningsby here in the uk...

hee is the feature:

img443.imageshack.us...

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I can only speculate, however for an active base to have a separate 'secure' area seems a bit strange.

It kind of looks like just a storage tent in an usual location, also, the water tank or storage tank to the left seem a bit misplaced.

It appears you could get right to the fence at this point, the road to the right looks as though it is public access. Shame I'm not still in Lincoln, otherwise I'd go check it out.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
hello hyacinth,

yes it is strange.....what is even stranger is that the fence is electric !!
it is very like a signit building in the fact it is in a seperate compound on the base...but it def looks like a bunker entrance...and trucks go into the porch bit then come out a while later a lot less heavier !!

v strange

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hyacinth

I can only speculate, however for an active base to have a separate 'secure' area seems a bit strange

That is not true. I live on a very secure active Air Force base. We have numerous areas on base that are "extra" secure w/ electric gates and other security measures. Absolutely nothing strange about it. Usually areas containing fuel, amno/weapons, and other numerous areas are located in extra secure areas. Even our K9 kennels have extra security. Our Security Forces has its own "compound" right on base.

We are free to roam the base....however, there are some areas that just anybody (civilian or AD) cant enter....thus the extra security measures.

With all that said. Who knows what it is.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I have no idea what that could be but I do believe that a "bunker" could be plausible.

Anyway, SOMETHING is obviously important enough for them to have above ground level structure with grass on top of it to try and camoflague it. However, with that being said it could just store Military Police vehicles.

It would be nice to check the area out in person and monitor its traffic.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by amanbuthimself]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I too know what it is like to live on an active airbase greeneyedleo, both in the UK and abroad. I can totally understand the fact that certain things require extra security, especially as a lot of workers on bases here are civilian, but it still appears a bit extreme - to use a secluded area of the base and then to have what looks like a purpose built guard building just doesn't quite fit. I'm sorry if my views offend you, but I was just speculating.

Anyway, snoopyuk, it looks to me that the grass hills are from a long time ago, and I would also say that the structure between them seems not to be touching the grassy hill, so it's unlikely to be an underground storage entrance, however i could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS !!!

Here is what Allan Turnbull had to say on it when i emailed him:
(alan runs the very famous website WWW.SECRET-BASES.CO.UK
COPYRIGHT © 2007, Pagliacci Productions Limited )

Many thanks for your enquiry and for your kind comments.

After some research, here are my findings.

The compound does not appear on any OS maps at any scale, not even 1:10000. If you go to Getmapping's official website there are two versions of aerial photography available for the immediate area - the original 1999 data and later imagery from 2004/5.

Guess what? The compound does not appear at all on the 1999 imagery. That means it's an obvious new build.

Rather than a new fuel depot, or a sigint area, it looks very much (I'm guessing a bit here) to be a new weapons arming / disarming facility for the new Typhoon Eurofighters based there.

The obvious mounds (known as revetments) surrounding the building are to contain an accidental explosion, as seen on many explosives storage sites.

It could also be connected with Coningsby's other function as home to the RAF's Fast Jet and Weapons Operational Evaluation Unit (FJWOEU).

Those are my thoughts so far. Feel free to quote me on your forum and see what everyone else thinks.

Regards,

Alan Turnbull
www.secret-bases.co.uk

[edit on 2-12-2007 by snoopyuk]

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I work at RAF coningsby.

Its a missile prep area just down from 3 (f) sqn, nothing sinister.

And the fence isn't electric

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by amanbuthimself
I have no idea what that could be but I do believe that a "bunker" could be plausible.

Anyway, SOMETHING is obviously important enough for them to have above ground level structure with grass on top of it to try and camoflague it. However, with that being said it could just store Military Police vehicles.

It would be nice to check the area out in person and monitor its traffic.

[edit on 30-11-2007 by amanbuthimself]

The building is not camoflaged? This is blast deflection the building looks like a wepon storage bunker or something to that nature, could be photo recon or s/f encampment what aircrat operate out this airfeild

new topics

top topics

join