It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug trafficking double-standard in Michigan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Friday, November 16, 2007
Sheriff's deputy gets probation for drug trafficking
Associated Press
PORT HURON -- A former Wayne County sheriff's deputy who pleaded guilty to drug trafficking could have gotten 20 years in prison, but was sentenced to 30 months' probation instead.

U.S. District Judge Lawrence Zatkoff said Dorian Merriewether has to serve the first 8 months of his sentence under home confinement.

Merriewether, 36,of Farmington Hills pleaded guilty in September to possession with intent to distribute and distribution of coc aine. Federal prosecutors say he used his position as a deputy to smuggle coc aine and marijuana to inmates in the Wayne County Jail in Detroit.

The government says Merriewether smuggled the drugs into the jail from 2004 to August 2005.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
source

So apparently there is a double standard in America where someone with possession of marijuana or coc aine for personal use (i am NOT condoning the usage of coc aine I'm mearly using it as an example) will get a mandatory minimum incarceration on TOP of probation.. and for drug traffickers I believe mandatory minimums can reach as high as 5 years in prison for a first offence, whereas this cop was not only trafficking coc aine, but selling it inside a prison for over a YEAR and got 30 months probation. PROBATION NO JAIL TIME. This is a slap in the face to democracy and fair prosecution.. its almost saying if your a cop its not as wrong of a crime where I believe it should be MORE of a crime because the police are out there to serve and protect and should be held to a higher standard. I don't know Ron Pauls views on police corruption but I hope he increases penalties for officers caught in corruption cases. These are the people who we're supposed to look up to as role models for us and our kids.. just think if Andy Griffith was slanging dope in mayberry our parents might have turned out very different.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
1. It was NOT Trafficking, it was "Possession with Intent to Distribute."

HUGE Difference

2. He was NOT a Cop, He was a Sheriff's Deputy that worked the jail. They typically go to Jailers School and not the Police Academy.

Now that is cleared up,

I agree the sentence was light, however I have NEVER, NOT ONCE EVER seen anyone receive even close to the Mandatory sentence in ANY case.. I know it happens, I have just never seen it in 22 years..

A little jail time would have, in my opinion, been appropriate here. But understand that "Possession With Intent to Distribute" is just the next level up from "Simple Possession"

Semper

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
2. He was NOT a Cop, He was a Sheriff's Deputy that worked the jail. They typically go to Jailers School and not the Police Academy.

Well, I live in Michigan.
A Wayne County Sheriiff is a cop. (Although I cannot figure out why they don't have to live in Wayne County
)
So is every other County Sheriff that I know of in this state.
They have guns, badges, can arrest your butt and probably taser you, too.

Although the few I know aren't the most professional law enforcement agents I've ever seen :shk:

[edit on 18-11-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Could be my "Bust"

My Police Mag. Lists him as a "Jailer" and in the states I am familiar with, they have different standards completely...

Semper

top topics

join