It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've offended Yahoo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Whilst creating an email account at Yahoo, I got an error message i never saw before. I wasn't using my real name, as will be obvious, but simply a two word combo I found from their news section. That combo was "Fuels Support", being first and last name respectively. When I tried to activate the account, here is what I got:

img.photobucket.com...

Please revise this entry since it may be seen as offensive.

Obviously I found this very strange. I can't see how this is offensive to anyone. So, I wanted to see which word Yahoo found offensive. I swapped the E and the U in 'Fuels' and tried to create the account again. Still a problem. I fixed 'Fuels' and took a P out of 'Support' and bingo, I was clear to go.

'Support' for a last name is considered offensive by Yahoo! I thought 'Fuels' would be at least slightly more inflammatory, but 'Support'? I don't think any real person is really offended by that word. Does it come off as just too radical and/or revolutionary? Bah....

~odievk

Got the same response with 'Wanted List' with 'Wanted' being the offender.

[edit on 7-11-2007 by odievk]

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/11/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Why do they care about your name. May be something has changed or it's because I only use the email but the email alias should be what is seen most of the time, at least with email.

Is there a part of yahoo that displays your first and last name?

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
LOL thats pretty funny there, nothing really suspicious but really weird. Maybe a glitch in code or something?

All in all, thats funny but strange......maybe its a siegel or something? Just throwing something in.....

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Muaahhhaaahhaa, yahoo knows who you are, where you live, your IP.
Freedom fighters are on their way to question you. In the morn, all shall be settled.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I tried to open account under Osama Bin Laden just now (the ID was gonna be itwasnotme911.blah....)

Said it would not continue as my browser was not accepting cookies - when it defiantly is?!?

Possibly using the prime ministers postcode might not of helped.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I got the same message with "Vagina" and "Talks"

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Huh, guess you guys trigged some word script in the confirmation of your names. or a bug in the confirmation of the names, or they just dont want people to have pointless names i guess......

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a very loooong shot but, those words may be offensive in other languages? ie, they mean something completely different in another language? just a guess .'/

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Maybe the just dont allow anyone to have the word Support in their name so as not to confuse people into thinking they are from Yahoo Support?

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I got one through under Osama Bin Laden! - used IE explorer instead of firefox this time.

The password is nobnob

Any one is free to use this account if they like! - just be warned that any one else can also use it!

Edit - forgot to put in the actual address!! - [email protected]
enjoy

[edit on 8/11/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
hahahahahha

This is a hillarious thread!!

It reminds of when we were kids and looking up dirty words in the dictionary!

hahaha

Thanks for the laughs!!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
'Tried vagina and 'talk'. LOL, I think I'm in love. Talk to me sweety! I've got some ping pong balls....

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by odievk

Because people will use: Tech Support or Yahoo Support to try and phish for passwords.

It's nothing personal, just a security precaution.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
well, my first name is the F word and my last name is YOU and they accepted that....

i always do that..never give my name....ever

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I've got to agree with the guys who are saying support is a no no because of phishing.

Years ago when I used to use AOL various words were blocked from use in screen name creations to reduce the risk of people pretending to be staff. "Help" "Guide" " Host" and dozens of other words were unable to be used in AOL screen names. I have no idea if it's still like this, but that was the logic. Someone with a screen name like "Tech Help" could have easily emailed and scammed hundreds of members out of their passwords...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Indeed, support is disallowed because of people phishing accounts.

Back in the day (it was a wednesday), we use to do this little trick with Hotmail where you could create an email address with blah blah [email protected] and people would give their passwords too you left and right.

It took hotmail about 2 years to catch on haha, but they all seemed to have caught this about the same time.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angry Danish
reply to post by odievk

Because people will use: Tech Support or Yahoo Support to try and phish for passwords.

It's nothing personal, just a security precaution.

This is the correct answer.

XBOXLive won't let you have the motto 'support our troops' because the word 'support' is censored.

No one wants people posing as support people to get your personnal information.

The 'some may find it offensive' is just a canned response to a banned word.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
They also wont let you use the name "Admin"

I used to run a couple of private boards...and I tried to use Admin as the name, since the emails would be coming from the Admin Staff and they wouldnt let me.

It all makes perfect sense

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Arrghh, my norton kicked in asking if it was ok someone took over my 'master accnt'.... stupid hacking hosers.... I'm putting a rabid squirrel where the sun don't shine! I can't go on like this. I have firefox loaded. Whoever said IE surfing was suicide wasn't lieing.

[edit on 8-11-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dznetworks
Maybe the just dont allow anyone to have the word Support in their name so as not to confuse people into thinking they are from Yahoo Support?

Yeah I think that's it. I think it's for security or scamming reasons.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join