It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concept of infinity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It's sometimes a scary thing to think that the universe is infinite and time goes either way infinitely. One of my theories is that the universe has expanded and collapsed infinitely.But how can time be infinite and space be infinite?

Realize that there is NO "first" or "beginning" of anything because time is infinite. Realize that if our "universe" did have a boundary then whats beyond that? And beyond? And beyond?
Time is infinite and still going even if it can theoritically "pause". But when does pause the "real" time continues infinitely and ticking.
By using logic I induce that time and space are limitless; now I don't feel like I want to live anymore

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
from 0 to 1 is inf.
from -1 to 0 is inf.

you can go even smaller/larger.

0.00000000inf when ever you want to add a number

the possibility's for imagination.

[edit on 5-11-2007 by Bseat]

[edit on 5-11-2007 by Bseat]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Consider the universe a circle. A circle has no beginning or end. The universe could very possibly be a loop, which never ends, thus being able to go on forever.

Think about it like this. You are a speck of dust inside a balloon. The rubber walls of the balloon are the boundaries of the universe. You can go around forever, in a never ending loop around the balloon.

Realize that if our "universe" did have a boundary then whats beyond that? And beyond? And beyond?

If you believe in the idea that there a multiple dimensions/universes, then consider them a bouquet of balloons. You go through one side of a balloon, and into another.

[edit on (11/5/0707 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
So if the universe is donut shaped then whats beyond the donut? =p
or in the center?
Or are there infinitely many donuts x(?

[edit on 5-11-2007 by die_another_day]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Has driven more than one mathemetician quite insane.

[edit on 5-11-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
So if the universe is donut shaped then whats beyond the donut? =p
or in the center?
Or are there infinitely many donuts x(?

[edit on 5-11-2007 by die_another_day]

Whats beyond the donut, is another donut, then another, and another.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well I've never thought of Infinity for kicks, but for the purpose of finding religion.

You're statments of nothing having a beginning or ending , in an infinite universe has bothered me to far extent. But this is not about me, this is you.

And i comfort you with a grim/depressing story.

Our galaxy(The milky way) will one day stop existing. There are major black holes that atomize all things around them. Over a google amount of years these black holes will have devoured everything in our galaxy, until nothing is left, except itself (the black hole). The black hole will then procced to eat itself alive, atomize itself , until nothing remains.

So in the essence of time, all things are not infinite. One day it will all end.

In the essence of distance, the only thing i can tell you is when you hear that the universe is infinite in distance this is meant as if the universe is round. As people above me touched on earlier. The universe in theory is round. And the circular motion makes it non-ending. Having no start or beginning.

And to this you said, well whats beyond the walls of the orb. And i have to tell you, that the breaching of such walls will put you on the other side of our universe. This is hard to explain, so ill try my best.

When you've reached the end of the universe, you arrive at the beginning again. This is touching into quantum pyshics, and i honestly do not know that much about said topics.

And you said you feel like you dont want to live anymore. This touches on the purpose of life, if you want my opinions of such, and how suicide is destroying the purpose of life, just u2u me.

[edit on 5-11-2007 by spaceman16]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
But what if the Universe is finite? I mean, scientist don't know what, if anything is beyond the event horizon, and before that, there was nothing, according to theory. So if the event horizon is the begining, and there was nothing in the begining, wouldn't that mean that there is a finite constraint?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisJr03
But what if the Universe is finite? I mean, scientist don't know what, if anything is beyond the event horizon, and before that, there was nothing, according to theory. So if the event horizon is the begining, and there was nothing in the begining, wouldn't that mean that there is a finite constraint?

Your statments are very confusing. But i understand them.. i think. Im going to describe what your saying using a box. Please tell me if i have it correct.

The universe is a box. Everything inside is the universe. The universe has ends, or the sides of the box. Whats beyond the end of the universe, whats outside of the box? Nothing? If nothing, then how does the universe exist?

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Spaceman.. ive rather enjoyed your words.

as far as the "i dont want to live because..." then kill your self and stfu.. its hard for me to tolerate people that cant enjoy life. especially because of a concept.. sorry to be so billigerant. ^-^

-G

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GlahES
Spaceman.. ive rather enjoyed your words.

as far as the "i dont want to live because..." then kill your self and stfu.. its hard for me to tolerate people that cant enjoy life. especially because of a concept.. sorry to be so billigerant. ^-^

-G

lol

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Spaceman you seem rather refreshing.. you should check out my threads in the science and tech forum.. would extremely love your input there. ^_^

-G

[edit on 6-11-2007 by GlahES]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Infinity is the day after tomorrow or the day before yesterday. Add them together you get nutten. /tilt

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GlahES
Spaceman you seem rather refreshing.. you should check out my threads in the science and tech forum.. would extremely love your input there. ^_^

-G

[edit on 6-11-2007 by GlahES]

Will do.. tomorrow of course, being it is ... 3 a.m >.>

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Well it's not like I don't want to live anymore, but this concept makes me think. I've been skeptical about the realness of this world... Sure we can sense things physically with definite shape... but infinity... no end...

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
Well it's not like I don't want to live anymore, but this concept makes me think. I've been skeptical about the realness of this world... Sure we can sense things physically with definite shape... but infinity... no end...

Reminds me of a quote, don't ask where i got it, i cant remember.

"Gods fear us. Because we are mortal. Because infinity is not an option, because we are sure of our promised doom. Because everyday we live , could very well be our last. The world is beautiful when you aren't promised another day."

Granted that might be improvised, pulling from my head, but it gets the point across. If it makes you feel better, ignore the possibility of infinity, and think that everything has a beginning and an end. And leave it at that.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
odd that i just can't seem to see a sphere or donut as an infinite object since its a repeatable object. Meaning that, were I to start building a wall, lets say, and went in a straight line, eventually, I'm going to end up right where I started and hit the beginning of that wall. Closed systems like that are not, nor have they ever been infinite.

I figure it like this, the universe is infinite, meaning with no end, period. now, the matter that exists in it is currently in a finite and measurable (though fuzzy) area within this universe container. The matter is the universe we can see, the rest is the places we cant reach yet because we haven't gotten there, as in matter and the energy it reflects back to us.

they say that an electron does have a life expectancy, so one could assume that infinity is actually a measurable thing, and that distance being the speed of light (assume its the fastest speed for arguement) x lifetime of electron + 1 planck space, which would be the distance you can't achieve because your base unit of matter just expired.

Quantum entanglement flies out the window if you assume that all matter was created at the same time, given the theory that matter and energy can neither be created no destroyed, just changed in state.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I think for about the universe in terms of consciousness. I believe it has the capacity to take on any shape we want, but since we have not seen those parts of it yet, it still remains to be seen. I think at the ends of the scale of space and time, we are being connected to it as we discover it.

If this seems too hard to understand, it is like the old adage of if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound? What I believe in is a hybrid theory between spirituality and something like the matrix, where the universe is in fact a digital like program that we experience. The program itself is basically "God" and is infinite. Since we only experience parts of it at a time, its physical shape can never actually be defined because with each new discovery it takes on a different shape as we become aware of it.

This isn't far from when man believed the earth was flat. For all intents and purposes, it was flat because that is all man knew. The moment man singularly or collectively thought that the earth was round, it became so and took shape of a sphere.

God creates reality through us and we will find that it is never ending.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I stumbled upon a site that really got me thinking. Just because of one statement in particular.

"If the Universe were infinite and contained stars throughout, Olbers said, then if you looked in any particular direction, your line-of-sight would eventually fall on the surface of a star"

Now for those who can't picture this ill try to make a diagram.

www.flickr.com...

This tehcnique and known occurance is used highly by painters to make their works seem 3-D. And occording to Olbers quote, would apply to the observation of the universe.

With so many stars in the universe, you limited field of vision would have no choice to point you to a star in the middle of the night sky.. always.

The article I linked above also touches on the idea of an expanding universe. Now what puzzles me is that if the universe is infinite, how does it expand? And if the universe is finite, what is it expanding into?(Or more or less whats beyond the universe)

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
first off, thanks for the thought provoking thread, I have always really enjoyed these kind of debates. If the universe is finite and a void or nothing exist beyond it, how can that be? Nothing does not exist, there is no such thing as nothing. I read a good book called "The hole in the universe" The only book that I have read about nothing
It deals with the infinite and finite possibilities.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join