It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetics - Glow in the dark mice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I was looking at a program the other night that went into detail about genetics and the engineering of new species or sub-species. I for one don't believe it can be a new species or sub-species - it has just been messed with by mad scientists who are playing God. Ok, granted, it could help in "switching" off or "switching" on genes that control cancers aging etc.

One of the experiments was to take DNA from a Aequorea victoria jelly fish and insert into the sperm of the mice. Well 1 out of 5 survive but they have created mice that glow in the dark.

What would they stop at?

Another idea they spoke about was figuring out the gene in cockroaches that made them immune to radiation. OH HELL!! Can you imagine implanting the wrong gene into a human, or even the right gene. What would we end up with? They say they don't know and probably won't try that.

AH yes, i believe them. Wouldn't you? I mean they are such concerned people and only mean well?! Yep. I believe them - NOT. They have probably tried much more than that!

Info
More...

So people are, well some, worried about the NWO and other things going on. What sort of stuff is actually being engineered in laboratories? Will a tin foil hat be enough? Or should we rather wear serious kevlar armour??

This is what i would be worried about!! NOT the NWO, but genetic engineering!

[edit on 18/10/2007 by shearder]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
How about GM backbones for the fainthearted?

Interesting article, though the news is not exactly fresh.

Your take on it is yawnsome, though. The same old 'who are we to play God and what happens when something goes wrong?'-type Frankenstein fears expressed in a million threads on ATS and doubtless on other boards too.

Let's forget all that and make something interesting out of the issue, shall we?

Anyone got any potential uses for glow-in-the-dark mice?

Better still, how about talking about the future fashion possibilities of glow-in-the-dark humans? Maybe we could fit ourselves with some kind of switch, so we could turn our native fluorescence on and off.

It could become a kind of mating call, like it is for fireflies.

Or a way of indicating sexual arousal during foreplay.

Courage, shearder! Be done with this Chicken Little wittering! Let's look to the future with hope and confidence, not fear and trembling!

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
lol, I think I saw the same show as you. Pretty interesting stuff if you ask me. I wonder what they will come up with next. Im sure that they are much more advanced in it then this.

-fm

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Now, my friend, that is called biology, as a part of the great science.

I'm not worried about genetic engineering, to be honest, I've love to see it further and expand its idea.

You know, speaking of the immunity, there are natural creatures called waterbears, who can survive to prevent anything. Being frozen, boiled, dehydrated, and irradiated, and guess what? They too can survive in the space, too.

As for that, imagine injecting their genes into your body.

[edit on 20-10-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
How about GM backbones for the fainthearted?

Interesting article, though the news is not exactly fresh.

Quite right. It is old - as is genetic engineering as a whole. I just found it interesting enough to post in terms of what a human baby would have to endure if it was born with altered genes.

Let's forget all that and make something interesting out of the issue, shall we?
Anyone got any potential uses for glow-in-the-dark mice?

I don't think we could make it anymore interesting. What i do think is that we should limit this sort of thing to helping with deadly diseases and not screwing with nature.

Courage, shearder! Be done with this Chicken Little wittering! Let's look to the future with hope and confidence, not fear and trembling!

Courage? Oh i am not wittering as you put it. I just think we should be a little more concerned with this than we are about a NWO. I don't think we can really stop the NWO and won't discuss any further here. But, do you not think that we need to be more mindful of what we allow to happen in labs? Not that anyone will actually go out and stop this. I do believe we should be more concerned than to think it will be cool to glow in the dark.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by shearder

Quite right. It is old - as is genetic engineering as a whole. I just found it interesting enough to post in terms of what a human baby would have to endure if it was born with altered genes.

What, good health? The horror!

I just think we should be a little more concerned with this than we are about a NWO. I don't think we can really stop the NWO and won't discuss any further here. But, do you not think that we need to be more mindful of what we allow to happen in labs? Not that anyone will actually go out and stop this. I do believe we should be more concerned than to think it will be cool to glow in the dark.

I think the fearful, ignorant, misinformed, misguided, and uneducated should have no hand in deciding on science issues.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
As for that, imagine injecting their genes into your body.

Nothing would happen.

new topics

top topics

join