It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inactive members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
After glancing at the Seti home team I have noticed a significant amount of inactive users, and users that have signed up and have not transfered any WU's.
Is Simon the only one who can delete inactive members, and do we want to delete any inactive members? Will we lose their WU's? Would it set us back as team in any way?

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I'm doing my military service at the moment so I'll be pretty inactive for the next 6 months. I'll be keeping my computer on and churning WU's whenever I'm on a weekend leave, though. So pelase, don't delete me

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
looking at the member page for ATS it looks as though simon is the only one with editing powers over the group . work is in progress at the moment which will I think lead to the removal of some of the inactive accounts. I assume that those that are inactive but have submitted work units will be kept in the team as we would be shooting ourselves in the foot if we removed them. Take Toddler as an example, position 14 on the board with 1480 work units but hasn't submitted any since september 2002. That would be a big chunk of our units if he was removed.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Hi all!!

I'm sure you're correct to say that Simon has the "editorial" rights to the ATS SETI@home Stats board and is the only person empowered to "Remove inactive members"? Certainly, it would help if we could "remove" the people who haven't produced any WU's at all, as it gives an unneccessarily distorted picture of how many people are in the team (and, any resultant mean averaging we might want to do would be skewed ie we'd be dividing the total number of WU's by an incorect number of people).

Presently, for example, 62 138/ 232 (stated members) = 268 average WU per member

whereas, in reality, we have 62 138/ 198 (actual members) = 314 average WU's per member.

My own line of reasoning works something like this:

Remove the people who haven't contributed any WU's (at least those who have signed up over, say, one month ago, and haven't returned WU's at all: even running SETI@home as a screensaver ought to have returned 1 WU after a month, I would think?) If I'm wrong, please tell me!! There would be nothing to stop people re-activating their accounts if they decided to return to SETI@home in the future, as far as I know?

As for those people who *have* contributed WU's but are no longer active - like TCAB (3251WU's) and djastram (2519WU's) - then *don't* remove them, but hold their points in abeyance as for when they show who they are on the Discussion board itself. They've done the work for the team - and SETI@home - and I think it would be quite wrong to simply "Remove" them for being "inactive", having contributed so much.
They may well decide to return to the ATS Team - or run SETI@home again - they may even have "graduated" to BOINC or a similar networked suite of programs, like Climateprediction?? And, please don't worry Paradigm: how *could* we delete you!!

As for the rest of us "Active" members - well, hopefully the database will be ready shortly (no rush!!) and we can start to administer the points accordingly.

Thanx for all comments - duly noted!!

[Edited on 26-1-2004 by Genya]

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the facts Genya. I think that when ATS members start being rewarded for being in the team, inactive members will have to be removed.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Thanks for the facts Genya. I think that when ATS members start being rewarded for being in the team, inactive members will have to be removed.

You're welcome earthtone!! Well let's wait and see, eh? "Inactive" members *might* just start being active once more if there is an incentive to do so??

Either way, we've got a GREAT team here!! 100k WU's here we come!!

who

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I am leaving for the Army on March 11, so i have no idea when my next work unit after that will come up. Please dont delete me, i have 555 work units under the name Mike. Thanks

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I think you'll be safe who. Your 555 units are too valuable to us to be wiped off the board.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I feel that inactive members should be removed, I mean everyone else is using their resources and dont even have a chance to reach the top due to some of the inactives.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracer
I feel that inactive members should be removed, I mean everyone else is using their resources and dont even have a chance to reach the top due to some of the inactives.

Yeh that is true but if we get rid of members with points wont we be deducting from our total? I spose that doesn't really matter, if members are inactive for a long period of time without an explanation then they should not be kept on the team.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
errrrr yeah I can understand where your coming from, but who's going to tell simon? He hasn't sent any units since 2002. some members haven't sent any units for a while for what ever reason, but they have chosen to keep their units included in our team stats . I know that it makes it harder to reach the top (if that would ever be obtainable with the amount of catching up we've got to do to beat Bob88!) but at the end of the day, what we are really interested in as a team(aside from finding a signal ) is building up our team stats at the top of the page. The last thing we want to do is remove some of the members that have chosen to leave their hard earned units with the team.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
You are right. However they will have to be some kind of organisation as I'm sure is being discussed right now in the DISC forum. i am not really interested in my position on the board, I just want to see a really productive and well organised SETI team. ATS should have the best!!!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracer

Hi tracer!!

Well, I don't know about a chance to reach the top: think of it as a target to aim for. Given enough time, *everybody* can get past inactive members, since, by definition, thye aren't contributing WU's now and, therefore, each WU *you* upload brings you 1 WU closer to them...

And, as these people *have* contributed to the team over the years, i personally think it would be very "high-handed" of us to "remove" them from the team list arbitrarily...

I speak, incidentally, as someone who discovered he had been removed from the 3rd place by Xspectre8, who shows for the first time on the boards, with 4829 WU's!!
Way to go!!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
excuse this for being off topic, but I like the new avatar Genya

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
excuse this for being off topic, but I like the new avatar Genya

Thanx pantha!! The "rotating astronaut" was making me get kind of dizzy!!

I thought I'd "go the whole hog", as it were and try to find a SETI avatar. After about 5 minutes searching, I came across this one, and thought it would do nicely

Maybe UF could design the team a dedicated one pantha? It's be fun!! Deny Silence would look quite effective!!

Now, back on topic I guess?!!

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by Genya]

top topics

join