It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Tsunami alert after New Zealand Quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Link to news article

"The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre has detected a large undersea earthquake south of New Zealand in the Auckland Islands region and is seeking confirmation that tsunami have been generated,'' it said.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Also an earthquake reported in Guam

Hope things are okay over there in the Pacific!

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
A Tsunami Alert was issued for NSW at 18:04 EST...Doesn't mention an specific threat to the NSW coast or even Lord Howe or Norfolk, but with these things, you never know...

Tsunami Warning

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
This just posted at News.com.au

COASTAL New South Wales and Victoria are no longer at risk from any tsunami generated by a large undersea quake south of New Zealand but parts of southeastern Tasmania could still be affected.

Theres a little more detail at the link above.

Edited to add this sarcastic response from the Daily Telegraph
Link
(more at link)

FOR two exciting hours today Sydney was about to be hit by a tsunami. Maybe.Under the alarming headline "TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST'', the Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre issued a bulletin at 3.49pm.

[edit on 30-9-2007 by ilandrah]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Thank goodness nobody seems to have been injured,

Im getting kind of worried that the quakes this past few weeks seem to be quite large, Im wondering if something has triggered a snow ball effect.

The epicenter was in the ocean about 400 km to the southwest of New Zealand, a press

link

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Tsunami warning was canceled about 30 mins ago, so it looks like the all clear...Apparently some small rises in sea level were observed in Tasmania, but it seems to have passed...

Cancellation of Tsunami warning

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   
See the following thread about web-bot earthquake predictions for the near future. Is it accurate? We will see. I am not one for predicting stuff but this seems legitimate.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Not sure if their software/reports are accurate, but from what you posted on the other thread, they missed the quake off NZ today...

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion but here is a portion of the text from the site:

The third quake, which linguistically is just ahead in the near future, should be at (or above) these kinds of levels, but the only question is where it will happen. Again, looking at the linguistic shifts of language, there seem to be two cases.

The first is that the Big One will come in the Western archipelago of Indonesia. If it is to hit here, it should occur before the 18th of the month, and it is likely to be a double quake. The kind where people run outside when it happens, stay outdoors for a while, and then just as they are about to return to their homes, the second quake (around same magnitude) strikes and more damage is done..

The second is more problematic: In this case, what happens is that a 'north of the equator' volcano pops off, and the impact of the plume from that sudden spitting of ash and gasses is large enough to disrupt air traffic for about a day and a half (or longer). If this happens, then the third quake in the series would like seem to occur in a region described as the northern USA West Coast, which might cover the range from Southeast Alaska, south to a region just north of San Francisco.

If you've been reading the fine print of the global news stream, you might be aware that there was indeed a volcano that popped off in New Zealand earlier this week, but it seems (no telling how accurate this new science will be on this) that it doesn't first. The reason is that Igor, whose background includes a little military this and that, says the language vectors seem to point to northern hemisphere are route disruptions.

So really these guys are indicating that this is not the culmination but just the prelude to an event that the technology is predicting for mid October. They have been updating this constantly for the past few months. Covering the quakes in Peru and Sumatra as well as many samller quakes. I am neither into "quake watch" (okay well maybe now I am!) nor predictions - I usually go to the site for the excellent economic analysis but this seems uncanny to me.

Links:

www.halfpasthuman.com...

www.independencejournal.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The tsunami was noticed in the Australian island state of Tasmania.
Link to news article

Tasmania's Bureau of Meteorology has confirmed the effects of a small tsunami have been noticed around the state.

Senior forecaster Simon McCulloch says the effects were minimal, with swells estimated to be around 20 centimetres.

He says the tsunami's effects were noticed about half an hour later than predicted.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Sorry, just drew that conclusion from the little in that previous post of yours

Given their tech is pointing toward something mid october-ish, I'll await it all eagerly
There certainly has been an increase in seismic activity on both sides of the Pacific recently...

I'll also check them out for the economic stuff, as I have a keen interest and same

Thanks for the info and links

Peace

[edit on 30-9-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Oh hey sorry guys... It was my fault, i fell out of bed this morning.

I blame it on daylight saving starting today.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sy.gunson

Rightio then Sy...

But what do say about the volcano last week ? Did you have a dodgy vindaloo or something ?

Bloody Kiwi's upsetting the apple cart all the time

heh

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Oh so you heard about the Tandoori takeaways down the road passing into new ownership ?

Actually we had another large earthquake and a swarm of them in northern NZ today near Tauranga.

The Volcano had a burp but a mountaineer staying in a hut on the summit dome of Mt Ruapehu got both legs crushed. One was amputated and the guys suffered hypothermia and renal failure.

Something must be stirring (besides vindaloo)

[edit on 30-9-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Wayyy off topic, but....

*ROFL*

I did indeed...And let's face it...What neighborhood doesn't have a dodgy take away or two ?

Thanks for making my sunday night Sy

Take it easy mate

EDIT - after thoughts...

Yes, I did see that on the news, poor bloke...To cop a hit like that must be huge odds...And yes, things seem to hotting up right round the Pacific lately

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The hut was crushed by flying boulders. Even more incredible though, his mate dodged the flying boulders and ran down the slopes to find a snow cat grooming skiifields at about 8.30pm. They used the snow cat to go back and rescue the guy in darkness. Everybody was back skiing withing 24 hours.

It's hard not to see these events as linked.

No harm in a little humour either. Good to keep it human around here.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Wow !!! Just happening upon a snow cat in a situation like that is truly amazing !!

And yeah, if ya can't have a laugh, why bother ?

Peace mate

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Well done Sy.gunson, I can't say I have ever seen humor and a scary news item combined so effectively. LOL

Back to the (non) tsunami though. There has been concerned raised over the timeliness and effectiveness of warnings for Australia.
New article

Mr Ryan said an earthquake would have to register at least 8 or 9 on the Richter scale to warrant concern.

But he admitted that the situation could have been handled better and the lag between the earthquake and an official warning was too long.

"By the time things went out it (the tsunami) would be on you. You can't wait around two hours. It's (the system) going to be fine-tuned," he said.

More at the link provided.

Apparently the alert first came from motion detectors in Hawaii. I would say that's a little far a field to be really useful. Australia has some lengthy areas of beaches, with many of them un-patrolled, but densely populated.
It all seems to be a case of "it won't happen here".
I would have expected that after the 2004 Asian tsunami we would be better prepared by now to handle something of this nature.
Our relationship with New Zealand is relatively close both in terms of geography and friendship, I would have imagined that the two nations had some kind of monitoring, alert and response system between them.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
www.gns.cri.nz...

The above link takes you to the Institute of Gelogical and Nuclear Sciences (GNS) quake watch site.

I am not overly concerned about the recent spate of 'quakes as NZ is straddling a tectonic boundary.
However, I am mindful that the 'big one' has a recurrence interval of 250 years +/- and that every day takes us closer to the 'big one', and Christchurch, where I live will suffer liquifaction and disruption of essential services so it is indeed prudent to have a survival kit prepared.

I am a geologist with contacts in Academia and the Research fields so I am happy to try to answer any questions. However, I am not on all the time, so bear with me if I don't reply straight away.

(OFF topic: what is geographically wrong with Australia?
It's above sea level!)

new topics

top topics

join