It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have stopped believing in life outside of this country

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Although I made a joke about it in the beginning I think the person who started this thread has been totally misunderstood throughout it.

Forget aboutt he America stuff basically he's saying "If I havn't seen it with my own eyes how can I believe it exists?

I think at some level we all have that feeling as well. Think of the time we sit watching TV news during dinner and see pics of starving people in Africa. If we REALLY thought it was real how would you feel?

The problem is that TV makes the fictional so real, that now we look at the reality and think its fiction.

The same arguement goes for religion and the existance of God. Just because you have never experienced God, or the truth in religion doesn't mean that others have not.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think the point of this topic was to...well, make a point. He's saying he doesn't believe there are people outside of the country, because he's never been there, etc. We all know there is life outside of the US, many of us have been there, or even live there currently.

But now what you need to do is take that leap. There is no life outside of earth because we haven't been there. There is no spiritual realm because we haven't seen it. etc.

By phrasing in such a way that we ALL know that the statement is false, it can allow us to compare other statements we make along the same lines and wonder if our certanty shouldn't be so certain.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Lol, sorry netchicken, didn't go to page 2 before I replied. I figured it would be along the same lines of all the other posts. Great point, though!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This is what I have been saying on this board for sometime now. What is real? For most of us it is what we can acknowledge with our senses only. If you don't see something or experience it, is it real for you?

Just because pictures exist and others tell you about it does it make it real? For example many people don't believe in UFO's but that does not mean that there is not lots of evidence of their existance.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I dont believe in life outside of my little Igloo in Canada.

Deep

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hey ZD did you see the size of that polar bear?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Thank you Netchicken and junglejake for seeing through crappy US prejudices

The point is not that im a fat lazy american who has the mind the shape of a corridor. If I wanted I could have said I didn't belive in life outside of canada or the U.K.

The point is everything as we know it may not be real. There is nothing we can truly believe in besides ourselves, and even that is hard sometimes.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeratualKalashnikov
The point is everything as we know it may not be real. There is nothing we can truly believe in besides ourselves, and even that is hard sometimes.

Are you saying that FOX news is unreliable?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Are you saying that FOX news is unreliable?

I don't think he's going thaaat far!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If you can taste it, touch it, feel it, move it, let it affect you....then its "real" in the sense that it alters your perception.

on a serious note, I totally didn't understand your original post, thanks to netchicken for breaking it down for me.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This post made me think of a book by Fred Hoyle. "The Fifth Planet" about how physical time can actually be different in dfferent areas on a planet. And that doesn't include timezones, it actually means maybe 100-200 years different, but the way the universe and dimensions exist the time difference is unnoticeable.

Thought-provoking and baffling read.

Oh, and to stay on, ummm, topic. Visit England no can beat our friendly hospitality (yeah right :p)

-M.E.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
?he ,adanaC sselB doG

I think its funny, the positions people take.

This guy brings up a question of whether anything other than America really exists.

Half take it literally. Half take the spiritual, deeper meaning. Of those who took it literally, half try to assure him that other places exist, and half tell him this thread is stupid, or comment on the degradation of society.

Of the half that took the spiritual cake and ran with it, half said they could sympathize, because it really does make you think. The other half said that it was a pointless thread anyway.

Its just interesting, all of the division over a philosophical plea for help.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
uhmm. The original, poster is obviously talking about alien life in space.

Saying that, just because wwe havent seen them, even though there is proof of their existance, doesnt mean they are not there.

And what the hell is that other silly person talking about... saying that australians call "coffee", "beer"??????

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I think the point of this topic was to...well, make a point. He's saying he doesn't believe there are people outside of the country, because he's never been there, etc. We all know there is life outside of the US, many of us have been there, or even live there currently.

But now what you need to do is take that leap. There is no life outside of earth because we haven't been there. There is no spiritual realm because we haven't seen it. etc.

By phrasing in such a way that we ALL know that the statement is false, it can allow us to compare other statements we make along the same lines and wonder if our certanty shouldn't be so certain.

OK, Jungly JAke got there first.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It crossed my mind that americans think they are alone on this world few times, but then I think naaah..
So it seems that my suspicions were correct. It is probably your governments propaganda to prevent emigration or something like that.
Tsk tsk..

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Hopefully, your location will "improve" Intelgurl!

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This post is very good, One thing I learned been outside america is that education is better less bias, and news are more splicit and you get the hole vertion of the truth.America is a grate country but we are to shelter.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeratualKalashnikov
I have never been outside the US. What I see on TV and in the news could be fake images, what my friends say about cancun may be hearsay. In fact there is no way you can proove to me that there are people living outside this country without actually taking me there.

Just something to think about.

What would be the point of making up the fact that there is life outside the US? surely tou know someone who has been outside the US, do you think they are all playing a joke on you? What would be the point when you could just go and have a look? I assure you, there is life outside the US, I live outside the US. If you don't believe it, go check it out, you'll see.

Now if there is a place I don't believe in is Wyoming. Have you ever met a person from Wyoming? No? See what I mean? (hehe... heard that somewhere, just had to say it
)

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I can understand the feeling that there are no other countries except America. With all the media influence from America I feel like that sometimes and I live in England and have many times visited other countries in Europe.

Sometimes I have to watch local news just to know that things do happen here.

It's just plain weird.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well I live in Georgia, and is people here that never been outside Georgia so I guess you can live in US. and never know what the other states look like, I have been across country 6 times two times on the northen states, 2 times central states and 2 times southern states, the prettiest, the northern states.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join