It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nellis range airport designations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
www.lazygranch.com...

I noticed the Tonopah Test Range has designation KZ79, which is odd since it is known as KTNX in most databases. Also, the new runway at Yucca dry lake may be NVH1. Groom Lake is still KXTA Homey.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
good stuff!

Thanks for the list. It's really a trip to look dive in and research all the abandoned airfields out in that area. Unfortunately, being on the opposite side of the country, its a bit difficult in the physical sense. However, some of you may find this site to be interesting: www.airfields-freeman.com...

I wonder if some of these strips still carry designations? I can't imagine why not since most look like they began as dirt strips and still are.

Anyway, thanks again!
-Granola

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by granoladude
good stuff!

Thanks for the list. It's really a trip to look dive in and research all the abandoned airfields out in that area. Unfortunately, being on the opposite side of the country, its a bit difficult in the physical sense. However, some of you may find this site to be interesting: www.airfields-freeman.com...

I wonder if some of these strips still carry designations? I can't imagine why not since most look like they began as dirt strips and still are.

Anyway, thanks again!
-Granola

groups.yahoo.com...
is a yahoogroup along the same lines as Freeman's website.

Other than ELINT/SIGINT and of course photography, which requires being near the range, you can get a lot of information about the range off the net, especially from screw ups in environmental reports.

Google Earth can certainly be used to find these little known airports, but you need a BS filter for those "google earth community" posts. Some are just so wrong you have to wonder what the poster was thinking. For instance, if you go to n37.797906 w115.929038, this person thinks they did a nuke test here. Geez. It is off the test site, and all those nuke tests off the test site are well documented.

Look at all those community posts by the so-called Groom Lake experts. Since little is known about the base, you can post just about anything. Yet there isn't a post by things you can ID, such as the runway localizer at
N37.285866 W115.824183 .

join