It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danger on the seas as walls of water sink tankers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
SWeet pics, I just saw a show on these things. There are more then previously thought, the ocean people confirmed this by taking sat pics. Pretty scary stuff. Just in time to go see Posiedon!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Yeah, they've totally been seen by satellites. Look at this Google Maps image of one near Galveston, TX!!

Google Maps

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Nice find on google ! thatone rocks

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Wow, that is is an impressive find. It looks like the wakes of tankers converging. Those huge ships make really large wakes. Could it be that this picture of a wave would be just that, the wakes converging? I have heard and read on the internet of how some surfers ride tanker waves for miles and stuff. Other than that the wave looks really big in comparison to the tanker, which those things are gigantic. If only you could see the hours before this snap shot to see if wakes did indeed cause it. Which brings to mind, will Google have google Earth but a video version? That'd be cool.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If you have the Science Channel, they have a show called "Killer Waves" on right now.. followed by "Killer Lakes"

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It is possible that some of these waves could be created by meteors impacting in the ocean. A bus sized meteor impacting in the ocean at mach 5 could easily drive up a 40-75 ft wave that could travel for a hundred miles or more disipating before reaching landfall and therefore going unnoticed unless a ship or bouy happens to be in its' wake.

Other than the meteor theory, I think the underwater landslide or earthquake theory makes the most sense.

Question: Do ships have sensors that can detect such waves a couple miles away?....such that they could at least turn the ship into the wave and avoid getting hit broadside?

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
It is possible that some of these waves could be created by meteors impacting in the ocean.

Except that radars like the government uses to track objects around the world would pick it up. Also, aircraft would see the streak of fire and the plume of smoke following it and report it.

So I think that that's out for what the usual cause is.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Don't overestimate radar capabilities. The world does have good radar coverage over much of the land surface, especially over first world countries, but the coverage over the oceans is much less than most people think.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Huge wave strikes oil tanker, kills two crew.

BBC: Two killed as wave strikes tanker

11 November 2006

Two men have died and a third has been airlifted to hospital after being hit by a huge wave on an oil tanker in the Pentland Firth. The incident happened after the tanker FR8 Venture left Scapa Flow, Orkney, heading for Texas in the US, in "horrendous" weather conditions. The third man is in a serious condition in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

apc

posted on Nov, 12 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Natural events like these always bring a smile to my face. With all our knowledge and technology, we are still dumbfounded by many of nature's acts. Some people seem to think they are able to predict the extinction of marine life, yet we fail to explain something as simple as a ripple of water. Truely, we have much to learn.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
A large wave came out of nowhere and killed two crew members on a US submarine, just after it left Devonport dockyard in UK.

BakuTODAY.net: Two US submariners die in Britain after being hit by wave

29/12/2006

Two crew members from a United States submarine died after being hit by a wave while they were standing on the hull of their vessel as it left port, police said. The two were among four personnel from the USS Minneapolis-St Paul rescued from Plymouth Sound, Devon, south-west England, Friday morning.

[---]

"The vessel was leaving port, they were on deck and as it went out past the breakwater, a large wave struck," a local police spokesman told АFР. He said that the submarine had just left Devonport dockyard, a British Royal Navy base.

[edit on 2006/12/29 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Rescue drama after ferry Riverdance was hit by a freak wave. The passengers were evacuated.

Rescue drama after freak wave hits ferry

Passengers and crew of a stricken ferry, including a nine-month-old baby, have been airlifted to safety after the vessel was hit by a "freak wave" caused by gale force winds.

[---]

The roll on, roll off ferry, called Riverdance, sent a Mayday at around 7.45pm in 70 miles per hour gales after it was hit by a huge wave off Morecambe Bay which knocked its cargo out of position and caused it to list.

[---]

Liverpool Coastguard declared it a major incident. Watch manager Anthony Topping said that the ferry was at one stage listing 60 degrees and passengers had to be evacuated.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
What a great thread from the past.

I had not seen it before.

I found this part of the original article very interesting:

These giant waves cannot be predicted by standard meteorology. Waves - even in the worst of storms - should not reach much more than 40ft. The fact that walls of water up to 100ft are being observed regularly suggests that something is worryingly wrong with meteorology theory.

I wonder if they have come any closer to explaining these waves?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join