It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caracas prepares for US invasion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
5.000 Dragunov sniper rifles to be ordered by President Hugo Chavez to protect Venezuela from an eventual invasion by the USA: “We will knock out any imperialist that approaches”.

[url=http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/30-08-2007/96539-caracasprepa-0]http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/30-08-2007/96539-caracasprepa-0[/ url]

Should the United States be worried about this threat?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
ummm...the link is not showing the article, just a partial blank page...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I don't think Venezuela is a direct threat, but I would be conscerned about them sponsering clandestine activities (terrorism included) that could be even more damaging than an out-right attack. Along those lines, the fact that they ordered sniper rifles specifically is troubling and may be seen as a tip in the direction of clandestine activity. Then again, if they planned that they wouldn't let it be known they were ordering the rifles would they?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Those are more of a marksman's weapon than a sniper rifle. You won't find them being used by snipers usually but by marksmen within a squad.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
What threat? The threat to defend themselves from an invasion?

Oh wait silly me, it's not an 'invasion' when Amerika does it. Cause Amerika always knows better! Fighting evil communism over there, and fostering good old boy Christian corporate fascism over here! But who gives a hoot? We're all asleep dreaming the Amerikan dream! So please don't wake me, it's so nice and comfortable in here....

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Just the wiki about Venezuela's military.
en.wikipedia.org...

Venezuela Spending on Arms Soars to World’s Top Ranks
Military spending 2005/2006

These articles should shed a little more light on what is going on. Its not just about sniper rifles.

[edit on 30/8/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
There is absolutely no threat from venezuela and the country is probably one of the more obvious democratic governments in the world. Read about it from a Venezuelan's perspective, no one in that country dislikes Chavez.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Do you have a link to back up that assertion?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenya
There is absolutely no threat from venezuela and the country is probably one of the more obvious democratic governments in the world. Read about it from a Venezuelan's perspective, no one in that country dislikes Chavez.

Just some info that came into mind with what you said.
www.zmag.org...

Even though Venezeula is a democratic nation today, Chavez himself is a leftist. (communist) That alone makes Venezuela a threat, even if it is just a small threat. Read a history of communist nations, especially Cuba, and you can see why people are keeping their eye on Venezeula and Chavez. Also Chavez's efforts to form political and military alliances with nations like Cuba, Russia and Iran have made many take a stance that Venezuela should be watched carefully.

[edit on 30/8/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Pfeil

Could you please explain why being "a leftist" in Venezuela is a threat to the US?

Why has Cuba posed a threat to the US? Has it ever threatened to impose it's form of government on America or to invade it?
Just exactly what is the threat?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Basically it says the US will attack Venezuela at some point. The US doesn't like Chavez and they want his oil, sounds like a smart plan from Chavez.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   
hmm well pretty much all i have to say to this is read the book Confessions Of An Economic Hitman by John Perkins..it will all make sense.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Ever read about Operation Balboa?
It was a war game scenario where they were invaded by rebels etc and we went in to protect the oil reserves amongst other things. Chavez felt this was practice for a real scenario but not natural happenings like something the US would provoke. Anyway I haven't researched all the claims or it's basis. If anyone has info please add. I assume this thread would fit.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pfeil
Even though Venezeula is a democratic nation today, Chavez himself is a leftist. (communist) That alone makes Venezuela a threat, even if it is just a small threat.

As my friend Freeborn pointed out, why does Chavez' specific political stance make him a threat? What is it about communism that is such a threat to the US?

It certainly isnt the "undemocratic nature" of communism as boasted by conservative pundits and media mouthpieces. As US leaders have supported the most ruthless, fascist governments and dictators the world has seen.

What makes communism such a threat to US leaders and their interests is teh way the society is organized. They way wealth and land is distributed; the fact that there is no private capital accumulation is what is such a threat to "US interests".

Dont by into the standard anti-communist propaganda and rhetoric, think for youself.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
First of all, to the OP, heres your main problem: pravda.ru . Thats like the 'National Enquirer' of Russia. Next we'll hear from them will be the headline 'Batboy eats Elvis, then Invades Cuba'.

Second of all, Venezuela's military spending will be used to continue to suppress their own people. This guise of 'protecting from an American invasion' crap is to get some traction w/ the global anti-American crowd.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It is true that the US doesnt like Chavez and he sure doesnt like us. He has blamed an assasination attempt, a few years ago, on the CIA (and hes probably right) and ever since then things have been going down hill.
Venezuela is absolutely no threat to the US militarily but we highly depend on Venezuelan oil. If youve ever seen a Citgo station in the US, thats Venezuelan.
Ive never been shown a reason to dislike Chavez, except because the US says we should
Venezuela enjoys some of the cheapest fuel costs in the world and Chavez even sells discounted heating oil to poor areas in the US.
One of the above posters is correct, Chavez has a huge approval rating in his country and if the laws are changed, he will probably be able to rule as long as he wants.

Also, when I say theyre no threat to us militarily, im speaking of the country its self however, IF they began to allow foreign bases on their soil, China for example, that changes things a bit.

[edit on 8/31/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
could be a threat if they go gurrila/iraq stile then thats a problem but militaryily could be dont under estimate any country look at the afgans and russia look at iraq now never under estimate the enemy if you do that could be the end

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by manzoor

If for any reason we were to declare an ALL out war on Venezuela (which i hope never happens) we could literally bomb them into submission, without the use of Nukes. Level the capital of Venezuela and the entire country will capitulate very quickly.. Youre forgetting one thing, these fanatics in those two countries dont care if they die.
Venezuelans dont have allah granting them 72 virgins in paradise upon death

Anyway, youre on another thread this morning, spouting off the typical Anti-American BS so im not even going to argue with you.

[edit on 8/31/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
i really hope this doesn't happen because i think the us foreign policy is just getting worse borderline wreckless

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenya

Um, could that be because no one in venezuela is allowed to dislike presidente-for-life chavez?

And "more obvious democratic governments in the world"?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join