It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enemies Of Reason, is it propoganda?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
What are your thoughts on richard dawkins's Enemies of Reason.

If you don't know what it is, it's a new mini-series on british television about how alternative medicines are nothing but superstitions and none are proven to work.

You can look for enemies of reason in google video, you'll see it.

Is it propoganda?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'll have to check it out later, but if your wanting opinions on this issue then I would say there is very little scientific evidence that shows Homeopathic remedies and alternative medicine work. Most of it has little to do with science and a lot to do with making profit off unsuspecting individuals. I say this because there are huge misunderstandings the public has concerning conventional medicine, and most do not understand the science behind Pharmacology and medical research well enough to make good decisions about treatment options. Holistic approaches need to remain in the realm of pseudo-science as far as I am concerned, as they are not based upon peer reviewed work, clinical trials, or scientific reasoning.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It’s not propaganda. It’s Dawkins.

[…]alternative medicines are nothing but superstitions and none are proven to work.

I think what he’s saying is more accurately paraphrased as “Most alternative medicines are proved not to work, and are usually superstitious in nature.”

Take note that it’s most, not all.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Homeopathic remedies

Homoeopathy is complete BS.

The idea behind homoeopathy is that if take something harmful and dilute it enough, it will do good rather than harm. However, they dilute the active ingredient to the point where there is less than one molecule of it in the volume sold to the customer. In other words, the active ingredient isn’t there at all.

Rational thinkers will understand that homoeopathy works entirely on the “placebo effect” – that just thinking that something will improve your condition will improve your condition.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by NRen2k5]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I cant put into words what i thought of this programme but this link tells very well of how i feel about it!

observer.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NRen2k5
Homoeopathy is complete BS.

I have to completely agree with you there. Alternative treatments and medicines are often mislabeled and contain very little of the active ingredients they say they do. This is why the FDA rarely will rarely approve these treatments for sale in the US...because they are improperly labled and unsubstantiated with real clinical proof.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NRen2k5

LOL...

Spoon fed!!!! all i can say! believe what you are being told on TV! believe that homeopathy is placebo! so much water and only a drop of the liquid..

Now compare Earth in this great universe, we are so small yet for each one of us who is smaller than the Earth has a great life to tell of, a spirit and a body that lives in this almightly universe who can effect others and the earth itself just be breathing.. (butterfly effect) you tell me now that homeopathy is a placebo... what people do not understand is that we can overcome things by the use of external medicines and that we as individuals have much more control over our bodies as we are made to believe.. this isnt a placebo its an awakening of who we actually are... what we poses and what we can do to heal ourselves and others!

Makes me feel ill that people out there watch this show and come out of it thinking what the goverments want us to believe.... "They are helping us" If only we were all to wake up and help ourselves!

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Having seen the first episode only, before YouTube pulled it down, I would say, no it's not propaganda. It's TRUTH. I agreed 100% with everything he said on that first episode and quite enjoyed his calm questions being met with blank puzzled stares.

I sort of felt like Dawkins at the UFO Expo last weekend.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by misuneko
I cant put into words what i thought of this programme but this link tells very well of how i feel about it!

observer.guardian.co.uk...

1700 personality types, eh?

There’s baloney by being wrong, and then there’s baloney by being overly broad.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

reply to post by NRen2k5

LOL...

Spoon fed!!!! all i can say! believe what you are being told on TV! believe that homeopathy is placebo! so much water and only a drop of the liquid.

Water isn’t always the solution used in homoeopathic remedies. There is usually much less than a drop of the active ingredient. Or, as I said, it may not even be there!

Now compare Earth in this great universe, we are so small yet for each one of us who is smaller than the Earth has a great life to tell of, a spirit and a body that lives in this almightly universe who can effect others and the earth itself just be breathing.. (butterfly effect)

That’s nice.

you tell me now that homeopathy is a placebo.

Okay. Homoeopathy is a placebo.

what people do not understand is that we can overcome things by the use of external medicines and that we as individuals have much more control over our bodies as we are made to believe.. this isnt a placebo its an awakening of who we actually are... what we poses and what we can do to heal ourselves and others!

No, actually, that is a large part of the placebo effect. I suggest you research the term.

Makes me feel ill that people out there watch this show and come out of it thinking what the goverments want us to believe.... "They are helping us" If only we were all to wake up and help ourselves!

I haven’t even watched the show yet. I believe there is some good in some alternative medicines, but I understand that homoeopathy is absolute bunk.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Science cant prove anything spiritual because science isnt that far advanced to understand yet.

Scientific fact changes from time to time, it will change again soon enough! Wait for our little human minds to catch up with our spirits then all disbelievers will follow the herd.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Science cant prove anything spiritual because science isnt that far advanced to understand yet.

Scientific fact changes from time to time, it will change again soon enough! Wait for our little human minds to catch up with our spirits then all disbelievers will follow the herd.

That’s nice. Doesn’t have anything to do with what we’re talking about, though.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NRen2k5

Personally i believe 100% that homeopathy does work.. from personal experience, placebo effect or a unity of my inner affermations mixed with taking the remedy I can safey say ive have a lot of experience in what is in the substances i take and how they worked for me.

I will contiune to take them instead of other forms of medicine.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Either that or spirituality is not based in science. I'm not going to get into a religious discussion here, but matters of spirituality can't be explained by science because they do not lie in the realm of what is testable and what is not. It's not a matter of science "catching up to spirituality", because in many cases so-called "spiritual" events can be easily explained by science...whether it relates to Chemisty, Physics, Medicine, etc. Therefore, spirituality is a matter of Faith, and there are more than a few that would argue it doesn't exist.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   

reply to post by NRen2k5

Personally i believe 100% that homeopathy does work.. from personal experience, placebo effect or a unity of my inner affermations mixed with taking the remedy I can safey say ive have a lot of experience in what is in the substances i take and how they worked for me.

I will contiune to take them instead of other forms of medicine.

Your mistake.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   

but I understand that homoeopathy is absolute bunk.

DO you understand from personal experience? Or do you doubt your own healing as a human being and put all faith in scientific medicine. An organisation that has done a lot of good things being a multimillion pharmaceutical industry swimming in its rewards! Good that a society can treat the illness, id prefer a society that could treat the cause of the illness to stop it happening in the first place.. whoops there would be no money in that eventually now would there!

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NRen2k5
[Homoeopathy is complete BS.

The idea behind homoeopathy is that if take something harmful and dilute it enough, it will do good rather than harm. However, they dilute the active ingredient to the point where there is less than one molecule of it in the volume sold to the customer. In other words, the active ingredient isn’t there at all.

Rational thinkers will understand that homoeopathy works entirely on the “placebo effect” – that just thinking that something will improve your condition will improve your condition.

Also isn't the more diluted you make it the more powerful the cure? I always thought if this was the case then a drop of the top 100 cures into any major fresh water would basically turn our tap water into a cure machine.

I would think whether something is standard or alternative medicine both need to pass the “does it work test”.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Either that or spirituality is not based in science. I'm not going to get into a religious discussion here, but matters of spirituality can't be explained by science because they do not lie in the realm of what is testable and what is not. It's not a matter of science "catching up to spirituality", because in many cases so-called "spiritual" events can be easily explained by science...whether it relates to Chemisty, Physics, Medicine, etc. Therefore, spirituality is a matter of Faith, and there are more than a few that would argue it doesn't exist.

LOL... the more than a few would argue... your right there! lol

Spiritual events can esily be explained by science I thought you said that they do not lie in the realm of what is testable and what is not?

so you saing events can easily be explained by science must be incorrect!

Your right Spiritual events do lie in other realms and not in the physical testable realms!

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

DO you understand from personal experience? Or do you doubt your own healing as a human being and put all faith in scientific medicine. An organisation that has done a lot of good things being a multimillion pharmaceutical industry swimming in its rewards! Good that a society can treat the illness, id prefer a society that could treat the cause of the illness to stop it happening in the first place.. whoops there would be no money in that eventually now would there!

And what illness are you talking about? The ills of America of not eating right or taking care of their bodies with a healthy lifestyle are where most of prevention is lacking. To treat or create the cause of an illness is a lifestyle and not alternative medicine. To attack scientific medicine and view it an inferior approach to alternative medicine is not very smart.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

but I understand that homoeopathy is absolute bunk.

Yes, I understand from personal experience. That personal experience being graduation from high school.

If you dilute a solution to the point where there is only one molecule of the active ingredient per litre, and then draw 100 millilitres of the solution, there is only a one-in-ten chance that the active ingredient is even there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join