It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BioSteel...and it looks good too!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well you knew I had to join in on this one......

I do believe that this takes us into dangerous territory, where a corrupt mind could create creatures straight out of our nightmares.

This genetic manipulation has tremendous potential, and could be one of the discoveries that could usher in a new Golden Age of humanity. The problem lies in the power that it creates, and the possible corruption that grows from that power.

Personally, I'll keep my genes right the way they are, no matter how commonplace this stuff becomes.

I think this biosteel is an incredible breakthrough though. Now we just need to see how the animals' creation is debated by the morality and scientific communities.

It could be the first step in creating natural alternatives to synthetic threads such as kevlar. I guess only time will tell how it works out in the end.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Black Isle? Have you played FO 1 (FallOut) and FO 2? Good games. I like the Enclave and their power armor.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDemonHunter
Well you knew I had to join in on this one......

I do believe that this takes us into dangerous territory, where a corrupt mind could create creatures straight out of our nightmares.

This genetic manipulation has tremendous potential, and could be one of the discoveries that could usher in a new Golden Age of humanity. The problem lies in the power that it creates, and the possible corruption that grows from that power.

Personally, I'll keep my genes right the way they are, no matter how commonplace this stuff becomes.

I think this biosteel is an incredible breakthrough though. Now we just need to see how the animals' creation is debated by the morality and scientific communities.

It could be the first step in creating natural alternatives to synthetic threads such as kevlar. I guess only time will tell how it works out in the end.

Well, I'm more of a "more-can-than-man" type myself. Give me cyber and bioware, as much as you can cram in. Move-by-wire, bone lacing...the works.

The BG series has sucked down more hours of my life than you cna possibly imagine.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Fallout 1 & 2 were good. DE, what is the BE series?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Baldur's Gate series. Composed of:

Baldur's Gate
Tales of teh Sword Coast (expansion)
BG2
Throne of Bhaal (expasion)

I'm thinking a good 600 hours gone between teh four of them.

DE

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Damn thats too cool. I want a car made out of it

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Oh yeah...duh.

Anyway, on the further subject of bio-enhancement see this story I wrote for ATSNN - Bio...Technological?

Post some comments about the freaking rats...LOL!

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Deus Ex, I am with you man, Cyberware me up! Ever played Shadowrun on Sega Gen? Man that game was so fun, get me some cyber eyes, dermal chest plating, wired reflexes, and maybe some claws!

Lol it'd be the # I tell you!

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Well, I'm more of a "more-can-than-man" type myself. Give me cyber and bioware, as much as you can cram in. Move-by-wire, bone lacing...the works.

Okay, having a skeleton laced with biosteel would be cool if it was possible. I suppose if I'm going to ask for that, I might as well ask for the cybernetic claws though to complete my makeover....

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I played it on SNES first, then read the books....then got into 2E and 3E paper and pen. I've rendered characters down to .02 of an essence point. It's horrible and beautiful. Bone lace titanium+ move by wire + muscle boosters= pure street sam= ME

DE

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Ooo, a spiderwire car. Would it be sticky, though? Might be a pain to clean, but wouldn't dent!

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Lmfao Jake, thats a good one.

You know, if we had augmented bodies, in Theory we could not die by natural causes.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taxman
Lmfao Jake, thats a good one.

You know, if we had augmented bodies, in Theory we could not die by natural causes.

I am not so sure. Anything "natural" or bio, would still breakdown over time.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Yes, something "bio" would likely breakdown over time, just as we do. The question becomes "How long does it last?"

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
think of what you could do with body armor with that stuff.. or simply using it for airframes...

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The company Nexia realeased it's report for the first quarter 2004. Still lots of R&D money spent and not much in revenue yet.

Nexia has three categories of protein-based products in development: BioSteel�-M, BioSteel�-I, and Biopharmaceuticals. For the biosteel, it looks like they are working to get sutures on the market, and technical sporting gear. Ballistic protection is down the list a ways.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Cool! Once more, reality seems to be stealing ideas from William Gibson

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Baldur's Gate series. Composed of:
Baldur's Gate
Tales of teh Sword Coast (expansion)
BG2
Throne of Bhaal (expasion)
I'm thinking a good 600 hours gone between teh four of them.
DE

Totally offtopic, but I really did like those games.

Back ontopic -- I think there's a number of interesting issues here in the biosteel/other arena, one of which is the impact on environment. To be truly useful, this material needs to be something that we can recycle without having to develop special technologies to do it. Creating a bacteria that munches it into components would be fine if we're talking about a process that takes place in space and nowhere else. But let loose on a planet... we don't know the consequences.

The ecology of trash is an interesting subject... but a bit too much to go into in this thread.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
LOVE THOSE GAME LIKE YOU LOVE SYSTEM SHOCK 2!

Yes, public servie annoucnement aside, that creates an interesting dynamic. What use would biosteel be if the enemy simply had a bacteria that they could hose your men down with. Then, they'd be unarmored. Maybe it would simply biodegrade, as it seems to me that it's based on proteins and organics. Might take awhile, but it would.

Now, here's the big question: Do you think that another firm will swallow up this company? It's possible, because they're taking huge hits because of their R&D spending.

DE

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
hi im realllly reallly bored

<< 1    3 >>

join