It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BioSteel...and it looks good too!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Now, scientists at Nexia Biotechnologies in Quebec have bred goats with spider genes in them. The result are goats the have spider silk proteins in it's milk, which cane be filtered into BioSteel. Its stronger and more flexible than steel. Its tensile strength is greater than steel and it is 25 percent lighter than synthetic, petroleum-based polymers.

These qualities will allow BioSteel to be used in applications where strength and lightness are essential, such as aircraft, racing vehicles and bullet-proof clothing.

BBC Link
ABC News
How Stuff Works

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

[Edited on 15-1-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think that this technology is a great breakthrough because of the varied uses of it. This new product can be used not only in space flight but also in the medical field.

Here is a press release on the matter.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Wow, it's about time! I was watching something on Discovery about a year ago talking about how man hasn't been able to synthesize anything with the tensile strength of spider silk. I suppose if you can't beat it, join it (with another animal)!

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Ya, this should be promising.

I think also they need to reaserch in modifying humans with other creature's DNA. Make us stronger, faster, smarter (and somehow prevent control).

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taxman

I think also they need to reaserch in modifying humans with other creature's DNA. Make us stronger, faster, smarter (and somehow prevent control).

Yeek, that's just getting into scary country...

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Here is the company's 2003 year end report on BioSteel

BioSteel� Program Update

Regarding the BioSteel� program, fibre development activity in conjunction with Nexia�s
partner, Acordis Speciality Fibres Ltd., is ongoing with a target of achieving the required
strength properties in 2004. Concerning BioSteel� suture development, Nexia is continuing to
evaluate the nature and scope of clinical data which will be required to support a Pre-Market
Approval (PMA) filing with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Nexia�s ongoing BioSteel�
activities include a number of applications-specific material evaluations that may result in
partnered development programs.

In addition, the technological challenges experienced with the BioSteel� program and delays
have resulted in a number of changes in the program direction with respect to the capacity
requirements for transgenic production of BioSteel�. The Company will concentrate its farm
operations at the St. Telesphore facilities and as a result, the Company has recorded a writedown
of $829,000. The Company has decided today to close its facility in Plattsburgh and
expects to record a charge of $120,000 in the first quarter of 2004.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Now you could have that silk shirt, yet it could possibly stop a knife. Can you imagine rope and braided cable strength? Lighter vests for police and full uniforms for soldiers.

Amazing stuff really. Think it will be "mainstream" in the next 20 years?

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The spot where the would try to hit you would hurt like a motha, but yeah I believe it should stop it.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yea that would be cool.

Also junglejake, I like to freak out people, its entertaining

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Originally posted by Taxman

Yeek, that's just getting into scary country...

Heh.... squeamish about your humanity? Augmentation is coming, mark my words. I figure it'll eb mainstream before I die.

As for the BioSteel stuff, I think it'll work like chainmail than convential armor. Stop a knife, yes. Stop a bullet, yes. Huge amounts of concussive damage, yes. Biosteel alone would be rather pointless unless you had something to help absorb thr mad blunt trauma on impact.

DE

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Heh.... squeamish about your humanity? Augmentation is coming, mark my words. I figure it'll eb mainstream before I die.

You ever see the Simpsons where Dr. Hibbard augments everyone with animal DNA. I don't want my baby being half spider! And think of Stewie, being mutated into a killer, egg laying octopus! He could take over the whole town if we don't have guns!

As for the BioSteel stuff, I think it'll work like chainmail than convential armor. Stop a knife, yes. Stop a bullet, yes. Huge amounts of concussive damage, yes. Biosteel alone would be rather pointless unless you had something to help absorb thr mad blunt trauma on impact.

There would be something to help absorb the mad blunt trauma: Human flesh!

DE

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Now you could have that silk shirt, yet it could possibly stop a knife.

I can always use a better silk shirt.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Augmentation would be great, if its regulated and uncontrolable at the same time. I want to be like JC Denton and be able to cloak!

But seriously, Augmentation should only be used when nessicary.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Originally posted by DeusEx

You ever see the Simpsons where Dr. Hibbard augments everyone with animal DNA. I don't want my baby being half spider! And think of Stewie, being mutated into a killer, egg laying octopus! He could take over the whole town if we don't have guns!

There would be something to help absorb the mad blunt trauma: Human flesh!

DE

Or think about making your baby stronger, faster, smarter. Losing an arm in a car wreck and having it regrown in a week and reattached in two. Think about cat's eyes instead of yourself to help you see in the dark, a suprathyroid gland, or enhanced articulation of your limbs.

As for human flesh...hemhoragging=bad. Flesh can hemorhagge. In addition, where teh vest would cover (ei. your torso, where all those ribs are) doesn't have must flesh over it. massive blunt trauma+ ribs =death.

DE

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Lol, both of my responses were ment to be humorus, not real. I do have a bit of a problem with augmenting humans, because this is being done on the genetic level. We couldn't be changed, only our offspring. So then our offspring reach the tender age of 20, and we're obsolete and sent into a retirement home at 40.

Also, what would be the long term genetic effects of doing this? What would happen if a spider-woman were to marry a buffalo-man? Could they reproduce? What would happen to the offspring? What about 20 generations down the line?

And yeah, hemoraging is bad. You just have to make sure it's someone else's flesh in between the silk and you

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Good point jake.

Scratch the genetic mod.

Augmentation would be cool though.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
So ka, I realize this. I meant augmentations not on a genetic level, but on a personal level. You want better performance RIGHT NOW... you slip in some bioware coded to your genes, give it a while to grow in and adapt to your system... and voila. Instant better you. Not just biological stuff, either. Machines. Cyebrarms. chipjacks. Imagine the possibilities. And yes, augmentatiosn will one day become commonplace. Ever seen Gattica? Or read/played Shadowrun? Mix thsoe two, adn you've got what's coming within the next 50 years.

DE

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Indeed Jake.

It also got me thinking, would modification upset people (assuming they modify fetuses) who could not be changed for some genetic reson? Then you might have a new racism similar to the "x-men" movies.

Or most likely it would be available like any surgery...but very expensive. So, would the "elite" take over the world? Is that the true NWO? The rich genetically enhance themselves over the poor?

Side note: LOL DeusEx...I just saw the "So, Ka..." and was thinking ShadowRun. Great books, etc... Why no ShadowRun movie, I'll never know. Johnny Mnemonic is the closest I think.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Deux Ex, isnt voila a stringed instrament like a violin?

They should have the augmentation affordable to everyone before they allow it to be released.

posted on Jan, 15 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Indeed Jake.

It also got me thinking, would modification upset people (assuming they modify fetuses) who could not be changed for some genetic reson? Then you might have a new racism similar to the "x-men" movies.

Or most likely it would be available like any surgery...but very expensive. So, would the "elite" take over the world? Is that the true NWO? The rich genetically enhance themselves over the poor?

Side note: LOL DeusEx...I just saw the "So, Ka..." and was thinking ShadowRun. Great books, etc... Why no ShadowRun movie, I'll never know. Johnny Mnemonic is the closest I think.

That's always an issue. Why not? Isn't it possible for them to create a superarmy to keep us in check? What happens if criminals get chromed?

Watch Gattica... same idea. Freebirths vs Trueborn.

And yes... FASA owns a third of my life, Black Isle Studios another third, and then my writing owns whatever's left.

And Johnny Mnemmonic is about as good as it gets.

DE

<<   2  3 >>

join