It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful Quake Strikes Peru

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Two Powerful Quakes Strikes Peru

www.foxnews.com

2Powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquakes rocks Peru 100 miles near Lima, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-8-2007 by The_Coo]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Two powerful earthquakes have hit Peru , one measured 7.7 the other 7.5

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Link

(CNN) -- Three major earthquakes struck Peru on Wednesday evening -- a magnitude 7.7, then two magnitude 7.5 quakes a moment later, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The first two quakes struck offshore, while the third was on land.

Three Quakes of this magnitude? I've heard of aftershock... but this is almost unheard of.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Not three earthquakes! Whoever wrote that haven't spent much time on the USGS website. It's the same earthquake. Only one earthquake.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
A Tsunami WARNING has just been issued for most of South America including Mexico!!!

This doesnt look good at all.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Im watching it here on SKY , says 2 earthquakes and that some buildings have collapsed.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
A Tsunami WARNING has just been issued for most of South America including Mexico!!!

Is there more information about this? Like is this going to affect the gulf of mexico? Or along the other side? I would think if there are going to be any after affects that hit the US, they would surely issue some warnings here. But big waves are different, you dont get much warning.
Im on clearwater beach, would be nice to know, as I will be the first to go.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Reuters reporting 2 earthquakes as well, Helmutt, is this still a case of misinterpreting the USGS data?

Powerful earthquakes hit Peru

LIMA, Aug 15 (Reuters) - Two powerful earthquakes within minutes of each other struck Peru on Wednesday shaking buildings in the capital and cutting power in some areas.

The first quake, with a magnitude of 7.7, hit about 20 miles (33 km) west of Chincha Alta, at a shallow 11.2 miles (18 km) from the earth's surface, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

It said the second had a magnitude of 7.5.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5

Originally posted by dgtempe

Is there more information about this? Like is this going to affect the gulf of mexico? Or along the other side? I would think if there are going to be any after affects that hit the US, they would surely issue some warnings here. But big waves are different, you dont get much warning.
Im on clearwater beach, would be nice to know, as I will be the first to go.
No Warnings have been issued for the east side of the continents.
Not yet if at all. I'm tuned into CNN and watching- i will certainly let you know.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Just in from Reuters Alertnet:

TSUNAMI WARNING!
www.alertnet.org...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Reuters reporting 2 earthquakes as well, Helmutt, is this still a case of misinterpreting the USGS data?

Right now, USGS has only one earthquake at Mag 7.5

At first the data is not certain. When they get more data, they might update their quake page, often making the old pages "404 missing". Whenever they update their data at USGS, the RSS feed is "bumped" with a new entry. People who are unfamiliar with this and only watches the RSS feed, may believe that there were a lot of earthquakes when there was in fact just one.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The USGS initially reported three earthquakes, but revised its report, blaming a computer glitch.

CNN

Now they're saying it was just the one -- magnitude of 7.5

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Right now, USGS has only one earthquake at Mag 7.5

Thanks Hellmutt,

As of right now the reports are at one 7.5 mag quake,

It's great to have people experienced at disseminating the USGS data here on ATS.

ED:correctly spell ATS's USGS data disseminators username..... my apologies.

[edit on 2007/8/15 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The latest from Reuters Alertnet now is TWO earthquakes:
www.alertnet.org...

And this is the newsite that always comes out with the news first.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Here's some of the Tsunami warning info:

Major earthquake strikes Peru; tsunami warning issued

(CNN) -- A magnitude 7.5 earthquake struck off the coast of central Peru on Wednesday evening, prompting a tsunami warning for that country, as well as Chile, Ecuador and Colombia.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also issued a tsunami watch for Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador , Mexico and Honduras, and a tsunami advisory for Hawaii.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries from the quake, though there were power outages in Lima, the capital, Reuters reported, and people ran into the streets in panic as the tremor shook office buildings.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Confirmed two quakes by Reuters
www.reuters.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
First I've herd of it.

But it's 0200 UK and it was BBC's first story.

Tsunami is said to be for Ecuador - how can that be right?? Ecuador is just north of Peru, I would of thought a tsunami wave would head AWAY from (in this case) Peru - and into the Pacific.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
seems to be a lot of earthquake activity lately.

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Just seen another update.

Someone on the phone (I had attention elsewhere) said they would know about a tsunami in apx 15 mins from now 02:10 uk

Edit: BBC says 7.5-7.5 mag initial quake (1) and aftershocks in the range of 5. Tsu warnings for pacific coast south America and mid pacific coast US

[edit on 15/8/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
BBC just had USGS on phone - they lifted tsunami warning apparently, they should of seen something by now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join