It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we reduce our mass?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Here is a stupid question:

Can we reduce our mass to such a state where we have no mass (null, 0)?

If that is possible, then according to Einstein we can travel at the speed of light, right? Just the way light does.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
then according to Dr.ballon's rule, we'd float around

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
With what we know about physics now, there is no way to decrease your mass. You can increase it though, by going near the speed of light.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I'm going to second this question. I asked it a few months ago, but no one responded.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Not with present knowledge or predicted future knowledge, a solution to the problem is presently unfathomable

but anythings possible i guess *shrugs*

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I also think you would die if all the particles you're made of would suddenly have no mass. The electrons in the atoms would have different orbits (their orbits depend on their charge/mass ratio) and that would screw up almost all the chemical reactions in your body.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Umm...

If you had no mass, you wouldn't exist?

Mass is the measure of how much matter you have. If your body is composed of null mass, it would mean that your body has no matter, which would be nothing, which means that you no longer have a physical being.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
These people have the answer!

Sorry - couldn't resist!!

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It depends actualy. I'll make a few gross assumptions for what i'm about to propose.

If who you are is your thoughts, a compexity rather than a physcial body then yes. If you were to transfer the information of your mind, you, to a massless medium then you could indeed travel at the speed of light. You would need to structure massless partcles (such as the photon, maybe the nuetrino, etc) so that they contained all the information that is your concious mind. Of course you would lose all of your body including your sense organs and therefore be cut off from the world around you. However in theory if you can take the information that is you out of a body you could then transmit your information at light speed and place it into a new body at the arival point. This is pretty much teleporting, or "beaming" from startrek, except in the show you send your entire body, not just your mind.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I said in another post of mine that we have loads of gaps in our physical being, so to the nearest whole number...we already don't exist - we are 0% matter. Kind of hard to reduce 0...(We're actually 0.0000000001% or something like that, so for us to be even smaller we'd have to be something like 0.0000000000000000000001% matter....)

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
ScienceGuyQ, I don't think your idea would work. First, you would have to program every location and movement of all molecules in your brain that are involved in the process of your thinking. By reading this information you would change the location and movement of those molecules. Then you would need to send that enormous amount of information encoded in light (neutrino's seem a bit stupid, you can't detect them reliably). Then you would also have to find a way to put all that information of location and movement to use on a entirely different brain. It just doesn't seem probable to me.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
You must increase your resonate frequency then mass will decrease as your material state transcends into higher energy level or in short you move from one dimension to annother.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
By which of course Neo means no, we cant.

Not now, nor any time in the foreseeable future.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
It would be difficult for some people to improve being so low already.

Others would require less investment so to speak.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'm not so sure this is so far fetched...

Think about an atom...a lot of it is empty space... Now, if you could "tighten" the orbit of the electrons, you would make the atom smaller...

So, if you could do this with every atom in a body (by increasing the gravity on each nuclear nucleus), then theoretically, wouldn't a person "shrink"? Also, assuming that the "empty space" contributes to the mass of the object, it would be reduced as well. Or, if it didn't factor in, at least you'd be smaller, but still be the same mass.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Consider elements that are at the top of the atomic scale, they have high mass but in our experience are very unstable eg. do not really exist. But do they not exist?

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
You must increase your resonate frequency then mass will decrease as your material state transcends into higher energy level.

I like this part of the explanation. I think it's possible.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
i was without mass when i was floating through the infinite on lsd which may connetc to the neo's frequency thing, i was on some crazy frequency that nite woa woa

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm not so sure this is so far fetched...

Think about an atom...a lot of it is empty space... Now, if you could "tighten" the orbit of the electrons, you would make the atom smaller...

So, if you could do this with every atom in a body (by increasing the gravity on each nuclear nucleus), then theoretically, wouldn't a person "shrink"? Also, assuming that the "empty space" contributes to the mass of the object, it would be reduced as well. Or, if it didn't factor in, at least you'd be smaller, but still be the same mass.

Increasing the gravity of the nucleus will not sinificantly affect the orbitals. Increasing gravity involves increasing mass, which would probably adding another electron or neutron, effecting the chemical properties, charge of the atom, and possibly the isotope.

The only reason why electrons spin around the nucleus is because the nucleus has protons, which have a positive charge. Electrons have a negative charge, and opposite charges attract.

So no, it will not affect your size. Sorry.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Convert it to energy.

-P

<<   2 >>

join