It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT finds a cure for fear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Found this article and didnt see it posted on ATS, only problem is its a little more than 48 old so it cant go into breaking news.

External Source

MIT biochemists have identified a molecular mechanism behind fear, and successfully cured it in mice, according to an article in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

Researchers from MIT's Picower Institute for Learning and Memory hope that their work could lead to the first drug to treat the millions of adults who suffer each year from persistent, debilitating fears - including hundreds of soldiers returning from conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan

Source

This could have far reaching effects, both positive and negative.

The positive side, as the article mentions is that troops and civilians suffering from debilitating fear after comming home from wars may be able to lead productive and enjoyable lives again.

On the flipside, fear is a natural response to a dangerous situation, have we really outgrown its necessity?

[edit on 17-7-2007 by InSpiteOf]

[edit on 17-7-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
And just imagine how useful this would be for soldiers going TO a war zone? I can see generals ling up for this one.

A dose of "No Fear" and a bit of mind control= Unisol.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My impression is that the research is related to fears linked to memories, and the memory is being unnecessarily selected for or given unnatural weight.

The drug they're talking about lets the memory's weighting decay naturally.

I don't believe from my 10 second glance at it that they're talking turning people into DareDevil.

Grant you, I have a few non-functional behaviors/phobias I really don't like much for no particularly good reason, that I wouldn't mind suppressing, if it was just a matter of popping a pill and doing the thing I don't care for a couple of times.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
My impression is that the research is related to fears linked to memories, and the memory is being unnecessarily selected for or given unnatural weight.

The drug they're talking about lets the memory's weighting decay naturally.

I don't believe from my 10 second glance at it that they're talking turning people into DareDevil.

Grant you, I have a few non-functional behaviors/phobias I really don't like much for no particularly good reason, that I wouldn't mind suppressing, if it was just a matter of popping a pill and doing the thing I don't care for a couple of times.

While you are correct in your summery, I believe this advance is the first step towards what NC was suggesting, afterall, science moves in baby steps.

I cant help but wonder if tinkering with our brains to this level will lead to an evolutionary mishap.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I've found a six pack of beer will have a similar effect on humans, of course there are some less then desirable side effects.

Sorry but I couldn't resist.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
i wouldnt mind having my fears taken away,think of how fear has stopped you from doing all kinds of things... but my main fear...is spiders...

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by KINGOFPAIN
i wouldnt mind having my fears taken away,think of how fear has stopped you from doing all kinds of things... but my main fear...is spiders...

But you need that fear, albeit under control, to keep you from doing something foolish like breeding and handling Black Widows or brown recluse spiders.

We have fears as a control, which in most cases we can override. But the control is a large yellow caution sign for us, so that we don't blunder into danger.

What if this wipes out paranoia in general? ATS ceases to exist, and no one questions the dangers of our leaders.

top topics

join