It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archdiocese seeks a settlement as 500 sex abuse cases head for trial

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Archdiocese seeks a settlement as 500 sex abuse cases head for trial

www.latimes.com

After more than four years of negotiation, pressure is mounting fast to settle some 500 claims that the Los Angeles Archdiocese failed to protect children from clergy abuse, before the first trial begins this month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
All that money came from collection plates, how can anyone put money in a plate of an Organization that has as a rule, diddling children 2 times is OK but the thrid time your out??

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT - CNN is reporting that they are offering 600 million.

[edit on 7/14/2007 by theindependentjournal]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Wow, 500 is so large it's bordering on the absurd. I don't think these are opportunistic people, either, most people avoid the courts like the plague and won't go there for love or money.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Indeed, 500 cases, and you can bet that there are more cases out there in which the victims are too ashamed to speak out.

As appalling as this is, the church won't see it as a disgusting thing... basically, if the offenders repent (say sorry), then there's nothing wrong with it... they can get away with it multiple times.

To anyone with a conscience, it's absolutely disgusting.

Just one more example of the differences between religion, and decency.

[EDIT] The best part is that they are paying for this with YOUR collection money... You have directly funded the churches ability to get away with sexual abuse
Weigh that in your conscience and tell me you're proud of your religion.

[edit on 14-7-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
No amount of money, can cure or help those who have been traumautised by the abuse from, those in trust. Just goes to show that this goes all the way to the top of the Catholic Church.

Those involved need to be reprimanded for this. They need to be brought to justice. Settling with money is a slap in the face to those victims of these phedophiles

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

All that money came from collection plates,

that's not what iread in the article you linked us to...

the archdiocese has only paid 5% of some settlement ammoubts
and a mere 2Million in another settlement of multiple cases.

the avg agreed settlement per claim is about 1.16 million
of which 'insurance' coverage is paying the most,
the fornicater priests, Jesuits, Fanciscans, Carmelites & the LA
church business are getting off for pennies on-the-dollar

read the addendum at the end of the story text...

I -mailed a source provider, to see if the 'Mahoney' priest was
a cousin of mine from Pennsylvania....fortunately they weren't the same person

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Where is all this money coming from? I understand part of it is from collection plates, but $650 million?

Has the Vatican agreed to pay any of this?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Where is all this money coming from? I understand part of it is from collection plates, but $650 million?

Has the Vatican agreed to pay any of this?

Where else the Vatican off course, after all b eofre he became Pope, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger impossed , Crimen Sollicitationis, on Bishops, preists and the faithfull for 20 years...

It instructs bishops on how to deal with allegations of child abuse against priests and has been seen by few outsiders.

Source

And off course the Vatican is going to keep this quiet, nothing more than bigger a scandal, than protecting pheadophiles, and that being the so called one true church.............

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is alarming to say the least.

Is this where paedophiles go to get away with what they do? Religion is moot when you abuse a child and they are scarred for life. I agree - no money will ever be enough to cover for what they have experienced. At least castrate them, kick them out of the 'faith'. Death sentence anyone? They more or less ruined the lives of others - how about an eye for an eye?

Sickening.

- Naz

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This is absolutely shocking.

The Vatican are trying to pay the way out of this?

Take the money, settle so the Church can pretend it didn't happen.

It is quite obvious that the Vatican don't want this issue saturated in the news or courts...so settle and limit the damage.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Golly golly golly gosh...

It just doesn't stop does it?

A SPATE of new claims of alleged sexual abuse by a teacher at a prestigious Catholic private school has emerged, prompting calls for its former administrators to account for their actions.

The Canberra lawyer representing six former students at Canberra's Daramalan College said yesterday he was investigating several new complaints since The Australian exposed claims that the abuse could have involved dozens of boys.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

Maybe it will stop when the church runs out of money????

Sickening...

new topics

top topics

join