It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Layer of Magma Found Under American Southwest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Scientists have spotted a thick layer of melted rock beneath the Earth’s crust that could be part of a fluid band of hot magma circling the globe. The magma ring has until now remained a theory.

The molten-rock layer is 10 miles thick and can’t be seen, felt or smelt from the surface. Researchers Daniel Toffelmier and James Tyburczy of Arizona State University found the layer using a relatively new technique that measures changes in weak electrical currents flowing through the Earth’s mantle rock.

The current is created when the solar wind, a continuous flow of charged atomic particles emitted by the sun, interact with Earth’s magnetic field, called the magnetosphere.

news.yahoo.com...

I tried to post this before and it said the thread was already posted, I searched and found no such thread being posted, this is from the 22nd (last Friday).

Anyways. This is very interesting as it shows that a change in the Sun's output will affect this magma layer underneath the Earth which in turn affects the Earth.

Although the theory that the entire Earth is surrounded by this layer has not been corroborated, the fact that it exists under the American SW is very interesting and compeling evidence that we do not yet understand all factors and forces which affect the Earth, and it's climate.

[edit on 25-6-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Very strange. I agree that we know little about the planet we live on. Most of us are spending far too much time looking up, and not enough under our feet IMHO. I dont believe the hollow earth people stuff but I think more money needs to be spent on geology

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Anyways. This is very interesting as it shows that a change in the Sun's output will affect this magma layer underneath the Earth which in turn affects the Earth.

It doesn't say any such thing.

The researchers are using this small current to measure the conductivity of the underlying rock, different types of rock possess varying conductivity. It's a way to 'image' the structure underground.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I suppose changes in the intensity of the solar wind might affect the strength of the very weak electric current in the magma ..... not sure how that in turn affects climate though
Although since it's changes in this current that allowed the discovery of the magma, one assumes any variation in solar wind is already accounted for.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   

The article in question makes no mention of this...

Although since it's changes in this current that allowed the discovery of the magma

The changes in current at different depths are caused by variation in the chemical makeup not intensity of the solar wind.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It is quite interesting but when you consider that there is the Yellowstone mega-volcano caldera and then there is the long valley California mega-volcano caldera and then there are the volcanoes that run up the spine of the western hemisphere as part of the ring of fire; its not very surprising or should I say unexpected.

But as for the rest of it is is just one more piece of Muaddib's never ending campaign of obstruction, disinformation and spin against the theory human involvement is global warming; and should be taken as such with, not just a shaker of salt, but a pound or two.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Why in the world are some of you claiming "it does not say such thing", when I clearly bolded, and I quote....

The current is created when the solar wind, a continuous flow of charged atomic particles emitted by the sun, interact with Earth’s magnetic field, called the magnetosphere.

But i guess some people really have to bring down any and every evidence that "there are natural factors which affect the Earth's climate which in turn might be a threat to the claims of some people about AGW"....

[edit on 27-6-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Here is another article on this discovery.

Seismic data has shown that the inner Earth is layered, density altering markedly at three different depths. In 2003, Yale geophysicists proposed a layer of molten rock at the upper layer, 410 kilometers, (about 250 miles) extending around the Earth
Proving that is another thing.

Using solar research techniques, geophysicists at Arizona State University have come up with an ingenious method of doing that, one way or another.

The solar wind affects Earth’s magnetosphere. The magnetosphere, in turn, affects the electrical conductivity of deep subsurface rock, several hundred miles down. This causes electrical currents within the rock, which are measurable electromagnetic fields.

www.digitaljournal.com...

And of course the most interesting part.

That’s really difficult chemistry, given the issues of chemical composition, temperatures, and the compounds which might be able to form under those conditions. The presence or absence of some elements could produce quite unknown, unique, things. Maybe super dense rock, at high temperatures, has properties that affect the Earth’s gravity, rotation, etc. There’s physics which would support that.

Excerpted from above article....

An increase in the intensity/activity in the Sun affects the Earth's magnetosphere, which in turn affects this magma layer, which in turns will affect the chemical composition, temperatures of the rock, magma, which in turn should affect the Earth's gravity, rotation, etc, which should affect the climate.....

So my statement that the increase activity in the Sun will affect this magma layer, which would affect the Earth's climate is correct... Thank you very much...

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Interesting, I guess because the molten lava is flowing it has a way to move without having to come to the surface.

But I kind of find hard to believe that is moving around the earth. I think is excaping to the surface some where under the sea.

Look at the volcano in Hawaii it is the only one in the world that the lava is not as thick making posible for it to flow freely.

I wonder if the lava found under the American Southwest is like the one in Hawaii.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
And some more "real science" to corroborate my statement.

The effects of past variations of the Earth's rotation rate on climate.

Palaeological evidence indicates that the rotation rate of the Earth during the late Precambrian was 2−2.5 times faster than now. Typically high rotation rate in a fluid system reduces the characteristic size of dynamic features, their associated transport processes and the overall intensity of the motions. The climatic consequences of the high rotation rate during the Precambrian are outlined. In particular, it is hypothesised that variations in the rotation rate imposed an important, and possibly dominant, effect on the genesis and termination of the Precambrian ice age. Other possible implications of the high rotation rate to oceanography, life forms and geology are briefly noted.
[./ex]
www.nature.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wonder if the lava found under the American Southwest is like the one in Hawaii.

Humm, I am not completely sure, but it is very possible that this layer connects with layers of magma which are closer to the Earth's surface.

Deep in the Earth these magma currents have to affect the upper layers of the Earth, so they should be connected, but since noone can see it, it is a theory. We see the results as in volcanoes erupting etc.

The Earth's upper layers are in movement, the tectonic plates, since it is believed that under the lithosphere the fluid underneath is denser, (this layer which was found under Arizona should be part of this denser magma layer) making the lithosphere float and move around, but since noone can go down there, these are just some logical guesses.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Are you having a hard time getting people to believe you anymore Muaddib? Are you having credibility issues? It could stem from the fact that you are beginning to sound like a broken record and those of us who remember records don't like them when they skip.

ANYTHING to to blame global warming on to deny man's involvement.... note I said involvement, not sole blame.

Next I expect you to start blaming cow farts for it.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I am not connoisseur of lava but I spend 3 years in Hawaii and is amazing how Mauna loa keeps seeping lava all the time and changing the Island shape.

If this magma is flowing it has to be many other areas that it's getting to the surface.

It will be interesting to see if scientist can find the magma areas of scape through the earth, to make better predictions.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Are you having a hard time getting people to believe you anymore Muaddib? Are you having credibility issues? It could stem from the fact that you are beginning to sound like a broken record and those of us who remember records don't like them when they skip.

Mr. Clown..... i did not write up this article, nor made the discovery..... do you have actually anything positive to add, or are you just clowning around like always?...

Oh btw Mr. Clown, as far as i know, opinions do not make facts...so just because some people disagree, it doesn't mean their opinion is right.

i gave data to back my statements and did not rely merely in opinion like some people around here do always...

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I am just making fun of the fact that you try and tie everything but humans into a cause for global warming. It does get funny after awhile. How many things have you blamed it on now?

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Muaddib, you said this...

as it shows that a change in the Sun's output will affect this magma layer underneath the Earth which in turn affects the Earth.

Now compare it to the bolded quote below.

The articles in question does not mention solar variations and does not even speculate what effects that may have, that is your own highly polarized and opinionated addition. We do not know how much effect this may have. It may have a minimal effect or it may have a huge effect. I'm leaning towards the former at the moment as there isn't enough data to support a hypothesis either way.

[edit on 27-6-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I am just making fun of the fact that you try and tie everything but humans into a cause for global warming. It does get funny after awhile. How many things have you blamed it on now?

....... Do humans have anything to do with the cause of what it is explained in this article?....... Who is trying to "tie everything as being caused by humans to an article which has nothing to do with humans being the cause?........

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There you go spinning again... just a few posts up you wrote:

"But i guess some people really have to bring down any and every evidence that "there are natural factors which affect the Earth's climate which in turn might be a threat to the claims of some people about AGW"

SO... just who brought the subject of global warming up first?
answer: You did Muaddib.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Why in the world are some of you claiming "it does not say such thing", when I clearly bolded, and I quote....

Yeah, that's what magnetotellurics depends on.

There is a magnetic force from the earth itself, which interacts with charged particles. This induces a weak electrical current.

Now you need to show how changes in this weak current affect magma, and consequently how this will affect climate.

What you have is fairly isolated stuff that you're connecting.

These researchers are using a particular technique to 'image' under the surface. They find some magma, some people are interested in the nature of these type of layers, they might have some interesting and unknown effects. OK, that's cool.

A second study you just posted shows that rotation rate of the earth may be very important to climate. Again, OK that's cool.

Then you extend...

Therefore, as the technique the original study used depends on telluric currents, this means the solar wind can affect the magma in some way relevant to climate.

Quite a tenuous connection to say the least. Not saying it is impossible, just saying the inference is not supported by what you have.

In essence, you're missing step 2...

[edit on 27-6-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
its ok all ive worked it out for Muaddib
now.... the cause of GW is actually because the moon is moving away at a rate of 1/4inch per annum....
that extra inch makes all the differance as we all know
and just about 10 years ago the moon moved just that little bit too far from us.... the gravity of the moon now is attracting the heat up from the molten core to the moon through space.

No I have to agree with grover though I work in the area of environmental management and engineering, and I do know what I am talking about, I get paid for it and have letters after my name etc... ive stopped posting anything on this subject because of Muaddib
spin and political exxon type approach...I have started contributing less and less to this site due to the fact that ignorance is not being denied, but encouraged and ats is a forum in some cases for actually propogating lies, faleshoods and much ignorance...

sigh

however I must also say that he is right on this one.... this is a good post and good find Muaddib.....except the very very tenuous "theory" that it may affect weather.

maybe just maybe now you know whats its like to have facts and the truth ripped apart by others?

regards

Elf

[edit on 27-6-2007 by MischeviousElf]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join