It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Snake in Ice?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
i just don't think 200,000 year old mastadon meat is edible even after being frozen. freezing stuff will kill most bacteria, but not all, especially bacteria that gets its living out of surviving in arctic conditions. so the meats probably not safe to eat. might not even be digestable, and it's unlikely that a scientist would attempt to eat any portion of his amazing discovery. Other groups are going to want samples of the tissue, and whoever funded the research and expidition probably wants to sell those odd bits and pieces to other research groups.

and in the event that the guy really did eat the mastadon he was uncovering no doubt on someones else's dime I'm surprised that nobody sued him or pressed charges. not saying it's impossible to eat the dug up 200,000 year old meat, just amazingly stupid.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Actually the relaxing the anus info is not my mission today but hey what ever floats your boat. Couldnt you come up with a better example.

Im really curious about that mastador story though. Ive always heard the hungry russians ate a woolly mammoth.

[edit on 25-7-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
well it's common knowledge that warm water will relax muscles. thats why a good chunk of the worlds work force will attempt, when they can, to take a warm shower or bath or jacuzzi to relax the muscles. Most warm stuff will relax the muscles. hot stones, hot towels, chemicals that turn hot like menthol. we know this as a fact.

But eating meat frozen or not that has been laying buried for 200,000 years in something nobody can testify to. and it also goes against basic human knowledge that meat over a certain age frozen or not is not edible. freezer burn? ever heard of it? cold will break down things eventually too. the animal might have some sorta salvageable DNA but meat fibers that are edible. not saying the creature didn't loose it's structural integrity but enough for the meat to have not broken down into something less than edible.

Also whats with the discoloration of the ice. looks like dried, frozen blood and bacteria feasting off of the carcus...lots of it. thats recent. So there is a population of pliesiosaurs that nobody has ever found evidence of. remeber we know what aquatic habitats pliesiosaurs lived in. we know where to hunt for where they would,should be. they're not there.

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
well, now that everyone's relaxed, how about the fact that they found the mastadon, and it was in a frozen state of chewing grass?
this means the temperature dropped about 100 degrees celcius within seconds. some sciencey types think the ice ages come literally in a flash.
the plesiosaur doen't have to be flash frozen from the same ice age. the wolly mastadon mammoth could be tens of thousands of years old, the other, the early fish reptile thingy, millions of years old.

the discolouration is the freezer burn.

MOE: it can deep fry a buffalo in twenty seconds, homer.
HOMER SIMPSON: awwww, i can't wait that long!

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Ok, are you making this up as you go along?

Flash ice age? Are you sure this wasnt on a Simpsons episode?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I don't think the ice age could flash freeze anything. I don't think a steak tossed into deep space would get flash frozen. flash frozen is Cooooooooold. real cold. colder than any ice age. Not saying deep space doesn't get real real cold. but enough to flash freeze something?

Also. Look at the shape of the ice above the bones. doesn't it look like it fell from the discolored area just above it. like thats were it was originally frozen and once the ice melted fell out to where it is now. Notice the shape of that discolored patch. It looks just like a 25-35 foot right whale was once there. maybe the ice is a little mishapened from the bacteria living in it...not sure what the bacteria and blood etc do to the ice's melting point or integrity, but you can see in my opinion the clear outline of a dead whale. And, if it's not a whale than it really doesn't fit the shape of a pliesiosaur.

Just my thoughts.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The idea doesn't surprise me at all. Anyone ever heard of the giant sea spider? Some pretty funky creatures are found in the cold spots.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
the first thing I thought of was that it looks like a centipede or insect of some sort. Kinda creeped me out, lol!

Now, about the frozen meat:
www.straightdope.com...

Mastadons and wooly mammoths (different animals) were around until about 10,000 years ago, not 200,000. Natives of tundra regions still have stories about them, if I remember right... anyways:
Remains of Mastodon found in Genesee County

And about the plesiosaur, we can't really even prove if they are extinct or not. Supposedly there have been carcasses found:
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Earthscum]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I've read about dogs eating uncovered mastodon meat, and I've heard the stories that Alexei Tikhonov ate mastodon meat, but I don't know how true they are.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Dogs have certainly been reported as eating defrosting mammoth flesh - such huskies are kept in a state of semi starvation and will eat just about anything .....

The only authenticated case of a person eaten flesh from a frozen Pleistocene animal is described by Dale Guthrie in his book Frozen Fauna of the Mammoth Steppe - a steak cut from the bison known as Blue Babe was cooked and eaten by the excavation team (including Guthrie)

It's a book anyone interested in the subject of frozen mammoths (actually, mummified would be a better term) should read. Extracts can be read on google books

(Edit: sorry, can't get hyperlink to work - just google 'Dale Guthrie Blue Babe'
)

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Essan]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Earthscum

The carcasses generally thought to be pleisiosaurs generally get proven to be the remains of basking sharks. The stages of decomposition they go through leave behind a the general shape. The corpse the Japanese trawler found ahd samples taken from the body were examined and found to be from a basking shark. However, the idea that they were Pleisiosaurs is generally seized upon because it's much cooler, and is popularized by several sites.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Okay, here's a link to a website called "Sacred Texts". I cannot vouch for the content but it seems to answer alot of the questions asked in this thread and has three accounts of "modern" man eating mastodon meat: www.sacred-texts.com...

Hope this helps!!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
okay, so we want to know what's in the ice. Well, a few things are going to completely prevent us from doing that. i'll try to be as coherent as possible here.

1: what size is the actual skeleton? the picture isn't really clear on scale, was the image zoomed in to make the bones look bigger? Nothing resemble ice like more ice. Since the picture lack a clear point of reference, we cannot assume the bones are from a large animal, it could be a goldfish for all we know.

2: The red stuff in the ice is most likely blood. again, can't be certain because it's only a picture and I'm no expert. Since the flesh is completely gone and the blood is still in the ice, it can't be a fossil. Any unprotected organic compound would have been eaten by carrions. So the kill must be fairly recent

3: Notice the state of the ice surrounding the carcass. It is melting. Floating ice that melts can ship as it's center of gravity change, so the body may not be in it's original position.

All those things lead me to believe it can't be a pleiosaur. At best, it's some unknown marine animal. But I'm willing to guess it's not. Most likely a seal that was eaten by a polar bear or some such.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There simply aren't enough ribs to be a snake. Most likely a whale carcass that has lost the most forward portion of its body.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join