It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeleton found in ice berg, could it be a mammoth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
A couple took pictures of a skeleton exposed in a floating ice berg. Wonder if they will be able to find it again. The couple took pictures of it, scientist can only spectulate what it is.

Caneo.ca

Better

[edit on 5/6/07 by Rhain]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Until better info comes out, I'm going with my gut instinct.

Hoax.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If it is, its nothing new..
Many frozen whole mammoths have been found.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
Until better info comes out, I'm going with my gut instinct.

Hoax.

Regards,
Lex

I'd think it would be extremely difficult to hoax something like this.
Anyway, scientists figure it is either a bearded seal, a walrus or a beluga whale. It isn't like someone is claiming they found a skeleton of The Loch Ness Monster.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Originally posted by Umbrax

It isn't like someone is claiming they found a skeleton of The Loch Ness Monster.

I agree, but the thread title suggests a Mammoth.

A tad misleading, methinks.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fowl Play
If it is, its nothing new..
Many frozen whole mammoths have been found.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Fowl,

Exactly how many frozen mammoths have been found floating on
icebergs ?

My guess (just a guess) would be...ummm, zero.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A tad misleading, yes. But it is only Rhain's speculation.

I also have a small bit of inside info.
The article says the photos were taken in Newtown, Nefoundland. Newtown has a population of about 400 people and is actually part of a larger municipality named New-Wes-Valley. The name is made up from three communities (but contains about eight) Newtown, Wesleyville, and Valleyfield. This is where I was born and I was actually staying in Valleyfield for a week last month.
The ocean is still full of arctic ice chunks, we even had a dump of snow while I was there. Picking out this one chunk with an exposed skeleton is a pretty amazing find and the people there really have no means of creating a hoax.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The location of the mammoths makes it unlikely they were formed during Noah’s Flood. They are always found in frozen ‘muck’ in Alaska and ‘yedomas’ in Siberia, near the surface throughout the mid and high latitudes, mostly in river valleys, and occasionally in ice wedges. Despite the myths, most mammoths are not encased in ice.

link
www.answersingenesis.org...

link
www.answersingenesis.org...

Since the release of the movie Jurassic Park moviegoers and scientists alike have dreamed of possibly cloning a dinosaur from prehistoric DNA. But, pure scientific evidence has basically deemed this task impossible. Impossible to clone a dinosaur, but could we clone a more recently extinct creaure, say, the wooly mammoth? If so, scientists have just taken a large step forward with the discovery of a frozen, near intact wooly mammoth in Siberia.

As the story goes, a nomadic family by the name of "Jarkov" discovered the mammoth in 1997. Scientists were called, and starting in September, a Dutch and French led team, with one American scientist and funding from the Discovery Channel, began to chop the mammoth out of the thick Arctic ice. This was no easy task. Recently they employed a group of jackhammers, and in mid-October they finally freed the long-extinct mammoth from its icy tomb.
link
www.geocities.com...

any more?

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Thank you Umbrax. I read the article at work and thought the members here would be interested in what it might be. If it is just a seal or wallrus then hey how many are found floating in a iceberg. Still very interesting read in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It doesnt have to be old does it? It could be a mammal or something that died recently.
It doesnt look fake to me, but it does looks fresh.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

The location of the mammoths makes it unlikely they were formed during Noah’s Flood.

First, why do you want to bring the Bible into this ?

Your beliefs are fine, but this isn't a Creation vs Evolution discussion.

They are always found in frozen ‘muck’ in Alaska and ‘yedomas’ in Siberia, near the surface throughout the mid and high latitudes, mostly in river valleys, and occasionally in ice wedges. Despite the myths, most mammoths are not encased in ice.

According to Cultural Resources and Discovery they are found pretty much all over the world.

Since this thread isn't about a mammoth, I'll leave it at that.

Enjoy the info,
Lex

Edit due to erroneous quotes still showing.

[edit on 5-6-2007 by Lexion]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
i am no Christian, the passage and link was for reference purposes only. The last 2 links are probably better.
Wikipedia has several pictures of Mammoths whole. You seemed to suggest that one had never been found. If thats the case you should do more than enjoy the information.
Regards.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Its a sperm whale.

Read these two stories.

www.thestar.com...
cnews.canoe.ca...

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Who cares if its a mammoth or not? Its not as if the big furry elephant was a mythical creature is it?

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
Its a sperm whale.

Read these two stories.

www.thestar.com...
cnews.canoe.ca...

You might want to reread those stories, they don't say what you think they do.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

You seemed to suggest that one had never been found. If thats the case you should do more than enjoy the information.

Actually, I think Mammoths existed during the early stages of what we
know as "early man".

The remains have never been found in an iceberg, though.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Oh, i beg to differ.

Education, education, education

Inside the icebergs, the mammoth and other huge tropical animals, believed to be of prehistoric origin because never seen on the Earth's surface, have been found in a perfect state of preservation
link
www.holloworbs.com...

You didnt know mammals still exist inside the hollow earth?..
Do you guys know nothing... TSEEE!!!!

JM2C

[edit on 5-6-2007 by Fowl Play]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Fowl,
I truly hope you are being sarcastic.

If not...meh.

People, decide for yourselves.

Lex

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Life was a lot simpler before they invented photo shop. Nowadays everything is automatically labeled hoax and dismissed out of hand.

There is nothing about a skeleton in an ice berg which defies the laws of physics. I don't see what the fuss is about that you have to attack it as a hoax ?
It's just an interesting find. That's all.

<<   2 >>

join