It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IFPI: Ten "inconvenient truths" about file-swapping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

IFPI: Ten "inconvenient truths" about file-swapping

arstechnica.com

...does purchasing one of these discs mean that you could be supporting terrorism? According to the IFPI [the music industry's international trade group], it does. The group yesterday released a list of 10 "inconvenient truths" about music, and it makes for interesting reading.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I was wondering what people thought about this. Should music sharing be allowed? How do we address these concerns? What protections should the industry have?

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Sounds like a propaganda line to me,

"File-swapping - it's like supporting terrorism!"

or

"Be patriotic - Don't bootleg files..."

I believe the industry to approach the major issue of lost revenue from bootlegs, torrents, file swapping, warez cracks etc by attacking it from many angles. From lawsuits of the providers, users, hosters to propaganda techniques and other techniques to try to stem the flow of lost revenue.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
how are we supposed to afford a $18 cd when there are all these nice shiny $35 blue-ray dvd for sale... maybe the RIAA should sue the MPAA and both can get off our backs.

seriously though, my friend Steven is pirating cd's in his college dorm room using his computer science degree, not Aabidah in his cave with the 48x drive next to his box of IEDs. its all propaganda, the industries are losing the battle and they're doing anything possible to get their foot back in the door. i wont pay for a song just out of spite. remember when smoking pot used to fund terrorism?

jeeze, i thought all this music and pot just made for good vibes and munchies.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I can just see the commercial for this one:

"Okay last time. This is file sharing. This is your hard drive on file sharing. Any questions?"

RIAA.org with Partnership for a Torent-Free America

--Seldom do I feel the need to explain a joke but it might be unfair to our younger members so to share the pain: www.drugfree.org...

[edit on 8-6-2007 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Here's another aspect that I share from another thread...but one of my own, so I'm sure its legal...probably...

So, I'm sure you old f@rts can commiserate with me when I say I'm tired of having a tune come to mind and, having already bought the 45, the LP, the 8 Track and cassette, I feel compelled to buy the cd as well? I paid my dues, and I already paid my royalties, dammit!

I mean, just how many times, in how many formats, does an individual have to buy 'A Question of Temperature" by Balloon Farm, before he actually owns shares in the song?

top topics

join