It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Leads Carbon Emissions among US States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Texas among all of the US states has the higest CO2 emissions in the country. Why? The large number of coal plants producing electricity. Texas was responsable for more carbon dioxide than every country in the world except China, Russia, Japan, India and Germany (and the US). many of the higest states do produce exported electricity so states with lower emissions bear some of the responsability.

The US needs to regulate CO2 like any other polutant and any new coal plants need to have the ability to sequester the carbon dioxide.

Blame Coal: Texas Leads Carbon Emissions

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Please do explain what axe you have to grind against the GREAT state of Texas. If the state were, say, Cali-Fornia I seriously doubt that you would be screaming it from the rooftops, given that according to your location you are from Cali-FORNIA...
By the way, yes, I know there isn't supposed to be a hyphen in California. I just did it to show that I have as much animosity towards your state as you apparently have against mine. Good day, now.

[edit on 2-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Please do explain what axe you have to grind against the GREAT state of Texas. If the state were, say, Cali-Fornia I seriously doubt that you would be screaming it from the rooftops, given that according to your location you are from Cali-FORNIA...
By the way, yes, I know there isn't supposed to be a hyphen in California. I just did it to show that I have as much animosity towards your state as you apparently have against mine. Good day, now.

[edit on 2-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

Wow, attack the messenger?
FredT is reporting on a news article and instead of discussing the topic you have decided to attack the poster. Extremely bad form and I would hope to expect more from someone who has been here for so long.

The topic is "Texas Leads Carbon Emissions among US States" not "Jump on FredT for criticizing Texas" If you don't think you can post on topic than please don't post.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Please do explain what axe you have to grind against the GREAT state of Texas. If the state were, say, Cali-Fornia

Mighty fine Strawman you have there

As our Governator would say its Kali-fornia. Actually if you had read the article, you would see that california is the second biggest producer, BUT if you take California and Pennsylvania (the number 3 producer) add them together you still do not equal Texas's emissions with way more population.

You also failed to note that I mentined that some of the high emmision states like Wyoming export electricity so the consumers of this high CO2 also bear some responsability.

Texas carbon dioxide emissions reflect its overall energy use and fuel mix, about 164 million metric tons of carbon equivalent (MMTCE) in 1999, over 9 percent of total national emissions of 1840 MMTCE. Thus, Texas emits about 8.2 MMTCE per capita, well above the nation’s approximately 6.5 MMTCE per capita. Between 1990 and 1999, total greenhouse gas emissions in Texas increased from 149 million metric tons of carbon equivalent (MMTCE) to 164 MMTCE, a rise of 11 percent. (US EPA, 2001)
www.citizen.org...

MONTPELIER, Vt. — Emissions of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide rose 18% in the USA from 1990 to 2004, with Texas and Nevada leading the way, an environmental group reported Thursday.

Texas' carbon emissions grew by 95.8 million metric tons during the period, the largest increase of any state, followed by Florida, Illinois, North Carolina and Georgia.
www.usatoday.com...

This goes on and on. the bottom line is that we need to be aware of where our energy comes from and the impact its having. recent events in Texas may help reduce the amount of CO2 the state produces, but denial of the problem and Strawman arguments will not do so.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Groan... and insert rant about the previous-governor-now-president and his cohort who's now governor of Texas.

I live here, I love the place, but we are not national leaders in a lot of things, including health care and insurance and education. There has been little to no support of things like wind farms (we had one around Lubbock, and it was not in pristine condition the last time I saw it.) We do have other options and could be a leading force in developing some alternative fuel solutions (fermenting some of the cotton waste to produce ethanol, for instance.)

But we're not, and more's the shame.

new topics

top topics

join