It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New EU chemical law takes effect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

From BBC News:
Legislation requiring the safety testing of tens of thousands of chemicals - many in everyday use - has come into effect across the EU.
For the first time, it will be up to industry, rather than the regulatory authorities, to prove that chemicals are safe.

Full BBC News article

Well it's about time they took more responsibility for what they "pump out".

Although most of what the big chemical corporations produce is useful and beneficial to the populous and industry as a whole, this will hopefully prevent so many of the more deadly and harmful ones sneaking in "under the fence" for the sake of pure profit.

Maybe the realisation thet they must "prove" chemicals to be safe and not harmful to the environment would even stop the development of known offenders that would otherwise get pushed into the market.

Environmental campaigners are saying there are too many loopholes, but this, in my opinion, is definately a step in the right direction.

It's about time they took more responsibility for their products and will no longer be able to blame regulatory authority testers for mistakes.

Environmental and health benefits far outway the costs of this process.

Hooray!

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I hope your optimism is justified. Industry takes to that time-honored habit when asked to regulate their own activities - they cheat!

I can give you examples of data that have been faked by engineers routinely in manufacturing industries to meet safety guidelines.

As long as there are external controls as well as a requirement internally for the safety of chemicals then this is good news. However, why does the EU not give tax breaks to industries that use plant and other natural derivatives to encourage the use of safe chemicals. Even looking at the back of a shampoo bottle, I wonder how many of the chemicals are safe and WHY so many chemcials are needed.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

from Heronumber0:
Industry takes to that time-honored habit when asked to regulate their own activities - they cheat!

I'm sure they can and do, but who's to say they can't if someone else does the testing? Friends in high places, behind closed doors and all that.

from Heronumber0:
Even looking at the back of a shampoo bottle, I wonder how many of the chemicals are safe and WHY so many chemcials are needed.

You're absolutely right, that's why I make my own. It's so simple. Cheaper, biodegradable and no packaging. If only people would take the time to research what mother nature can offer us, right at our fingertips.

The industry has invented the markets for the products we are told we should have.

Money, money, money..........

Crazy!

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Analysis of the naw EU chemical laws

here from BBC news

Customer pressure

Even though it is still early days, the new legislation is already having an impact.

"Customers are starting to ask questions," says Vin Jetten from Dow Chemicals.

"Now we're going to have real discussions with customers about the value of more hazardous substances and whether the properties (of those substances) are so important," he says.

Customer pressure is THE most important thing that can influence the changes needed in the big chemical manufacturing companies.

No market, no profit, no product.

Consumers need to tell these people what THEY want, and noy BE TOLD what they need.

new topics

top topics

join