It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternate Dimensions or worlds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Lets say that it would be possible to travel to alternate dimensions. In Quantum Physics there is a theory of alternate worlds or dimensions, which states that there could bemany alternate earths. My question is WHICH would be the true reality ? If you could travel to an alternate reality would you as a person from a different reality be subject to the laws of physics of that reality? What would happen if you met yourself in that alternate reality and you shook hands? Would it be like matter and antimatter?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
If it would be possible to travel to alternate reality, all would be equally true. I think you would have to conform to the physics of that reality, but since the alternate worlds in Quantum Physics come from the uncertainty principle, I think all reality's would have the same physics. Therefore I also don't think 'it would be like matter and antimatter'.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Hey thanks for the reply, thought no one was interested. It was just one of those thoughts you know? If my reality is real, then are the "alternate realitys" not?. Anyway appreciate the response just wanted to get other peoples point of view.
Have a funny day

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I agree that all would be equally 'real'. As for the laws of physics it all really depends. For example - if there were theoretically infinite alternate universes then theoretically every possibility is carried out - there would be worlds almost identical to ours, worlds vastly different with different laws of gravity, etc. With infinity, everything is possible.

As for shaking hands with yourself I think the most it will do is make the other 'you' rather surprised. Sounds kind of familiar to the 'worldline' and 'string' theories.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
He's talking about the multiple reality's theory that states that all the different possibilities that exist in Quantum Physics become a reality on their own. To me that means the physics must be the same. Otherwise there won't be Quantum Physics to make the theory work.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by amantine
Therefore I also don't think 'it would be like matter and antimatter'.

Now shaking hands with your evil twin in an alternate reality...

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well, if there is an evil twin in an alternate reality, I don't see any scientific reason why you couldn't shake his hand. You might not want to do it, but there's nothing stopping you.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm of the mind that....in whatever dimension you could

transport to...there can never be another YOU to shake hands with.

~~~
on the other hand, when those 'other dimension selves' either die or discorperate....that energy is consolidated among the existing, contemporary 'other dimension selves'---->
Eventually....probably at each dimensions' Cosmic Armegeddon....all the still existant 'selves' blend together, in a singular energy wave....and do infinite type things, for a loooong, loooong time

don't wake me from my dreems...
EOM s/riff raff

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
If you could shake hands with yourself then what stops you from shaking hands with someone from your past that has aready died? or killing someone you wish was never born? would that be posible?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The only way to find out would be to further our studies on the so called "Quarks"

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The only "time travel" theory that does away with the paradoxes is the multi-verse theory....

what I want to know is, how can traveling from one dimension to another be considered time travel? perhaps you take off from this time line in 2008 and return to another time line in 2006... the thing is, in that time line 2008 has not yet arrived, so you did not really travel back in time, only to a diffrent dimension which has not caught up to the time of your "home" dimension.

I do think that if you met the other "you" in another dimension you would be able to shake hands... it would not actually be you, because he/she would be from the diffrent time line/dimension and not made up of the same matter. I do not believe the same matter can take be in more then one place at the same time, so either the other "you" would really not be you, or the other "you" would not exist in any time line/dimension that you have the ability to travel to, or at the moment you arrived at that dimension, the other "you" would have left that dimension to travel to a diffrent dimension, perhaps the one you just left...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
do you think people in parallel universes are trying really hard to figure how to not travel to their parallel universes

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
Lets say that it would be possible to travel to alternate dimensions. In Quantum Physics there is a theory of alternate worlds or dimensions, which states that there could bemany alternate earths. My question is WHICH would be the true reality ?

I believe the answer is surprisingly simple. Whatever "reality" you currently occupy...would be YOUR true reality.

While were discussing the possibility of "alternate realities", Paul Enos take on this subject (or the multi-verse):

.....the physical ‘we’ don’t just exist in this ‘here and now’, but we exist in ‘millions or billions’ here and nows.
..... there is no such thing as ‘death’. Since we live simultaneously in these parallel universes, death has no meaning because if we die in one universe, our consciousness is self aware in another one without a break. '

That is pretty interesting to say the least. lets take it a step further:

There has been a theory floating around that has to do with "alternate or REVERSE" realities...

A reverse time line or universe where people come into being as fully-grown and aged Adults, and regress back to infancy (from our perspective) only to disappear into the womb and non-existence. A permanent death of the spirit?

Thats pretty deep... great subject I enjoy exercising the gray matter!

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
While i find all the new extra dimensional physics and the many worlds interpretation to be quite fascinating there is still a great chance that it is nothing more than a mathematical curiosity and a rather pitiful scape goat for physicists trying to explain the uncertainty principle and wave particle dualities. Think about it this way, physics is a science that builds on past discoveries that are practically ancient. We haven't been able to describe our verse properly in a simplistic set of laws or defining principles as should be possible applying the principle of Occams razor. As the physics becomes less obvious through observation due to size issues theoretical physics takes over. It may just be that the various theories cooked up with incredibly intense complicated tailor made mathematics. We don't understand it so we shape our mathematics to describe it. We aren't using actual measurements and high precision instruments to make these predictions but rather human intuition, a serious flaw in the scientific process.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Perhaps it’s all a lot simpler than we care to imagine. I mean when you don't know for sure you trend to look for something more complex. Is it just possible that there is only one universe? We have our space dimensions we all know them. We have our time dimensions forward and backward (tongue in cheek) but what if time could move sideways. Perhaps when time moves sideways that’s when we move into another reality slightly removed from your current reality. I do mean reality not strictly another time or world or universe. Hope you follow my drift..

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Well simply put everything is comprised of energy here. whats to say it isnt just at a different level in an alternate dimension?
I take alot of paranormal photos and over the last 6 months I cant go out to take pics with out getting at least 2 that show a replay of a past event in time. Example I live on grounds that where once colonial tading posts etc. Three days ago I was taking pic's as they are active this time of year. I got on a 3 second delay and in between 2 of the pics there is a boy in colonial dress, and two carrages with a man in a wide brim hat...alternate dimension? Mabe, mabe not. all I am saying is that if everything falls back on energy of some sort. Whats not to say that we cant go from one to another, or that all the weird creatures we are finding all of the sudden arent from an alternate dimension that has clashed with ours, now that both dimensions energy waves are on the same que.?.
Do to the personal experiences I have been having with this weird phenom going on its got me wondering if it is really possible too.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Quantum Physics states that there are an infinite number universes and there are actually several levels in which each reality exists. Imagine that the universe was not flat like most scholars would suggest, but it actually curves in. Think of it as a doughnut. Inside this "plane" there are many universes in this "plane" of a universe. Lets pretend that our universe is at the bottom of the plane and another universe is on the left side of the doughnut "plane". It exists, but we cannot see or touch that universe ever in theory due to our position on our plane. Therefor, we can never make contact with it. So thats the first level. The second one would be where there are several other of the doughnut "planes" inside a bubble, a cosmic bubble. So there are many doughnuts inside this bubble and around that bubble are other bubbles. In theory these bubbles never touch or collide, allowing other universes to intersect. Instead, these bubbles can actually split into two to make another bubble and then that other bubble will go on existing on it own, allowing for it to have different realities now that its away from its "mother" bubble. Theres more levels, but that starts to get complicated (i know, more complicated?). One theory is that in each of those infinite universes a version of you is living a similar life to you, but is living it a little differently making small decisions that you never made at that time. Like say right now, you are driving but another you could have decided to walk and ran into his future, your alternate, wife. Since there are so many universes, in theory anything that could have happen to you will. So that all possible ways of your life or non-life will happen. I know, how does he know this, i just love astronomy is all and yes if you are thinking it, there is in theory a gay you or a opposite gender you and etc.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Does anyone believe that in some dreams your spirit is traveling to a spirit dimension? Did anyone ever notice how you sometimes visit the same "area" in dreams even after not "being" there for a long time, yu know it's the same area in that "world" Just a thoughtreply to post by riffraffalunas

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
at 14 i think more then the average teenagers and an another dimention would be incredible but to say the unviers is in curves as soon as you left your dimention you would never get back due to there is no going back in space there is onli forward unless you can make a two way wormhole but what if what you find on the other side is not to your liking? and the massive amounts of power to go into the worm hole? what if what leaked into your reality was a un-controable infection or paraisite but this is a what if! to think you could find enough energy to make a worm hole or a portal of some kind but this is all far out and out og our reach but it may happen just not in this life time. there are infinant dimentions some apear and dissapear in secconds or less so its a gamble to where you end up but for me i would rather stay im my reality im happy here

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm

My question is WHICH would be the true reality ?

If parallel worlds did exist, I would say that that all would be true reality.

That's why it pays to be respectful in everything we do. I believe if we introduce more chaos into a system, it affects all the other alternate world. In the same if they try to introduce chaos into their system, it also affect ours.

Most likely not in the obvious ways. It manifests in things like emotions, weather, etc - things that are seemingly random in our world.

That is also the significance of some occult rituals - upsetting the balance of chaos and order in a certain location, can remain permanent because it reverberates in all realities. Unless someone restores it either worlds.

So just by positive emotions that can uplift others, you can actually do more good than you can actually see

<<   2 >>

join