It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IT Jobs at Area-51?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hi everyone -

I was just wondering if there are any Server administration jobs at Area-51? If they have jobs like that...and of course, they will have to to a nunber of things to get me in like a lie-detector test, FBI extensive backround checks, my childhood history, drug tests, and so forth...

Does anyone know what type of networks they use or what systems they use in order to administer them?

Do they use UNIX for their applications?

Where can I view all the qualificatons online or something?

Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Id be almost certain in light of security issues that they use unix or a proprietary os designed specifically for DoD secure systems and are administered by outside design and implementation firms.

heres something that may be of a little interest to you, its the DoD Trusted Computer System Evaluation Criteria.

csrc.nist.gov...

[edit on 5/23/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Im very experienced in Trusted Solaris. So would you say they may use some versions of a Trusted UNIX OS system?

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I would assume proprietary OS's for many of the black projects because they undoubtedly use all sorts of number crunching and CAD that probably can only be done on systems like those used in aerospace design. They'll all be based at some point on a version of unix, but they have been morphed into something new by the need for specialization.

Trusted Solaris would be a good starting point because of its use of MAC and GFAC, although these days linux kernel builds usually incorporate this since the NSA's SELinux project in the late 90's. Patches can easily be applied to kernels to implement a multi-leveled security architecture and usually are. I guess it all depends on how sensitive the data your working on is. Anyone working off-site would need to pass several layers of sand-boxing and tar pitting as well as hardware clearance before you make it to a secure communications tunnel. Even with all that, your probably only able to access scratch space on the disk until your work has been approved by someone onsite.

From a security standpoint, I'd assume at some levels the data is so "black" that wire never leaves the room which happens to be behind 6ft steel doors with retinal scans, buried 7 stories underground and what not... at that point passwords are just another step, you dont even make it to a terminal without the proper credentials.

[edit on 5/23/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on May, 23 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Is there some infor on where I can gather the recommended qualifications?

If not , its OK,

thankks for all the replies.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
look for jobs at companies like

* Carlyle Group [United Defense]
* General Dynamics
* Litton
* Lockheed Martin
* Raytheon / Hughes
* Rockwell Automation
* Textron
* TRW
* United Technologies

i'd imagine most engineering jobs are facilitated by private defense contractors. Unless your already an officer in the military, then you might be able to take a direct route.

[edit on 5/24/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Generally what OS they would use manage all the secret designs?

Like I said, I only know Trusted Solaris UNIX and thats about it.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Im gonna go out on a limb here, but if all you know is Trused Solaris or just one OS in general, you probobly arent qualified. You'd need to be an actual certified systems engineer, not just a home taut Solaris admin.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   

top topics

join