It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tahoe Tessie?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Ran across this mythical beast in a fishing magazine this morning, and did a little search to find out what gives.

Apparently, Native American legend is the first source of rumors about Tahoe Tessie. There are those who scoff, and those who say they have seen it. Modern legend says Jacques Cousteau was so unnerved by something he saw probing Tahoe's depths in a mini-sub in the 70's that he refused to talk about it to the media.

Lake Tahoe is big: 22 miles long, 12 miles wide, and 1600 feet deep, so I suppose there is enough room for Tessie to avoid unwanted scrutiny. The lake is ancient as well, part of what used to be the massive, prehistoric Lake Lahontan, so something from back then could still, theoretically, be around.

What's the concensus around here? Any Tahoe locals or regulars onboard who care to comment?

Each report of a Tahoe Tessie sighting adds to the mythology of the lake's legendary creature.

The legend is so prevalent that Beth Douglas, of Sacramento, thought Tessie sightings happen every day in Tahoe.

That's why Douglas didn't blink at her friend Ron Talmage's reaction last Friday afternoon to a dark shape undulating at the lake's surface about 100 yards off Tahoe Park Beach.

"Does that look solid to you?" Talmage, of Rocklin, said to Douglas.

When Douglas replied that the shape - with three to five humps along its back - did look solid, Talmage flatly said "Damn, that's Tessie."

"It was so cool," Douglas added. "The way he said it was so calm, I thought it (the Tessie sighting) was an everyday occurrence."

What Talmage and Douglas described was the subject of a talk - "USOs: Unidentified Swimming Objects" - in January 2004 by Dr. Charles Goldman of the UC Davis Tahoe Research Group.
link

And for the skeptics:

Tahoe Tessie
I spent the weekend in a small town (King's Beach) on the coast of Lake Tahoe. While there I figured I would investigate the local legend of Tahoe Tessie, a monster that supposedly lives in the lake. However, the legend doesn't appear to be widely known, even in the Tahoe area. Most people whom I asked about it gave me a blank stare.
link

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Perhaps whatever it was died out. Ether that or the seabed ran out of logs to fill up with air pockets and float to the surface.

But, perhaps we should send an expedition down there?

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I lived at Lake Tahoe for about four years, but I never saw, nor heard of, a lake monster. There are some pretty big trout that live in Tahoe's depths, but I always assumed Tessie was more a mascot, or publicity character, made up to attract the tourists.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the input. I was hoping someone with local knowledge would chime in on this thread.

Apparently, Tessie is nowhere near as well known as Nessie, her Irish cousin.

I'm still curious, though. I'm sure the dark depths of the oceans and big lakes have a few wonders left for us to seek, and possibly one day find.

Didn't Lake Champlain, in New York, have rumors of some giant creature like this too?

Ah, hear it is Champ

[edit on 22-5-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It seems every large lake has its own local lore. A hundred miles north of Tahoe is Lake Almanor and it has its own reputed 'creature'.

That Almanor is a man made reservoir doesn't keep the local chamber of Commerce from resurrecting the story every once in a while. Anything to keep the tourist trade lively...

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Apparently, Tessie is nowhere near as well known as Nessie, her Irish cousin.
that would be Scottish cousin.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Ooops, my bad. I am not trying to insult anyone. Just didn't take the time to research the correct location of Loch Ness, and made an incorrect assumption.

Thanks for straightening that out. I know there can be considerable tension about providence in the Isles, and I apologize for any ruffled feathers I caused.

Just to be pedantic, though, you misspelled necessary twice in your signature, and you probably shouldn't even have used the word the second time. I believe the last word in your sig should be sufficient, but that's just me.

See? Everybody makes mistakes from time to time. Only God is truly good and perfect.

[edit on 24-5-2007 by Icarus Rising]

join