It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE: 'Black Death' found in Denver squirrels...monkey...rabbit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   

bailey.aros.net..." border=0>

'Black Death' found in Denver squirrels

A rash of squirrel deaths from plague in the middle of Colorado's largest city has heightened surveillance for the deadly but curable disease.

No humans here have been infected with plague, the "Black Death" disease that killed millions in 14th-century Europe. A state hotline gets 50-75 calls daily about dead rodents. Chris Urbina, Denver's health director, says the risk of catching it "is extremely low."

Denver's last outbreak in rodents was nearly 40 years ago. So far, 13 squirrels have been found dead in or near City Park, an urban playground 2 miles from the state Capitol. Two infected squirrels and an infected rabbit were found dead in Denver suburbs.

More...

Yikes!

I know they say it's nothing to be too concerned about, but still...

Might want to keep a real close eye on your pets.

[edit on 11-5-2007 by loam]

[edit on 22-5-2007 by loam]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Looks like a primate in the Denver zoo is now infected.
...and a rabbit.

www.studentsoftheworld.info..." border=0>

Monkey dead from bubonic plague in Denver

A Denver Zoo monkey has died of bubonic plague, apparently after eating a squirrel stricken with the disease, Colorado health and zoo officials said on Monday.

Five squirrels and a rabbit found dead on zoo grounds tested positive for the flea-borne disease in recent weeks, Denver Zoo spokeswoman Ana Bowie said.

Zookeepers on May 15 noticed the 8-year-old hooded capuchin monkey was lethargic, and the next day it was found dead in its enclosure. Zoo veterinarians sent tissue samples to a state laboratory where it was determined the animal died of the plague. The death was announced on Monday.

More...

[edit on 22-5-2007 by loam]

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I live in Denver and I can say that the squirrels have been out of their minds. Not really, but I'll keep an eye out in case one decides to attack me.

posted on May, 22 2007 @ 07:37 AM
link   
really this is not so unusual... when I was traveling through the southwest in 79 there was an outbreak happening among the prairie dogs in the region. It apparently is endemic in some species but lies dorment until some trigger gets it going again.

new topics

top topics

join