It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I Were President

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I've been thinking about the current course selection for my school (high school) and others in general. I've made up my own schedule if I were President or the person who makes changes to the courses then I would change it to this schedule:

Math: Mandatory up to Geometry. The wrest optional.

English: Mandatory up to English III. The wrest optional.

Science: Mandatory up to Biology. The wrest optional.

P.E.: Mandatory for all years.

Then you have your electives.

Again, this is for high school not college (obviously). I made the schedule thinking that no one really needs all those higher classes that come after Geometry or, English III or, Biology, but if the student wants to pursue the subject in college then they are able to take the necessary courses.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
What the hell, why is P.E. mandatory for all ages?

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
how about spelling?

is that part of the "wrest" you mentioned when it comes to english?

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
how about spelling?

is that part of the "wrest" you mentioned when it comes to english?

I guess so.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye

oh you know, to help keep the disgusting fat children down to a minimum. make them work off the big macs their parents buy them for dinner every night.

to instill them with an idea of what being fit and healthy is like since more than likely they'll never experience it any other way on their own.

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCatalyst
I've been thinking about the current course selection for my school (high school) and others in general. I've made up my own schedule if I were President or the person who makes changes to the courses then I would change it to this schedule:

English: Mandatory up to English III. The wrest optional.

You could really use that.

However, when i was in high school, almost all of what you wrote/thought is true. I had those requirements, plus more. except the Gym, it's req. up Junior year.

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye

oh you know, to help keep the disgusting fat children down to a minimum. make them work off the big macs their parents buy them for dinner every night.

to instill them with an idea of what being fit and healthy is like since more than likely they'll never experience it any other way on their own.

[Edited on 3-1-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

Please. I remember not doing anything in gym. I did absolutely nothing and I still got a good grade in there and I wasn't "fit."

posted on Jan, 3 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Whatever it's just an idea and I'm sorry to those people that got offended when I spelled "wrest" wrong.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
It sounds good to me...although I don't think P.E should be required for all 4 years. My reasoning is that kids won't be able to take extra electives. The ones that will like to take 4 years of P.E would be the athletic ones.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
If I was presidente, I would erase PE off the board for high school. But I would insist on a 5th year! Us kids need to suck knowledge like...well soda. PE is something I cannot cope with! Take it if you must.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
P.E. should be through high school. Obesity is fast becoming an epidemic, although P.E. should be revamped. I, too remember not doing much in P.E. class in high school and passing with ease. More of an emphasis on health and fitness should be promoted through high school... couldn't hurt!

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
4 years of english
3 years of history
3 years of math
2 years of science.
2 years of PE

thats what my school had.. i think there should be more.
a 5th year wouldnt be too bad, i wanted to take more courses but you know.. i'd have to stay back to do that

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Just tell the kids to run around the block until they tire. Actually, I wouldn't of minded a class where you sit and learn about fitness. Maybe a seminar would do it. I agree on the obesity factor, very disturbing. Maybe if a PE class had better conditions, I wouldn't be scarred for life.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Screw changing the amount of years kids take in each subject. I would settle for kids learning anything useful at all.

And yes, math is useful.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
PE is a good idea to instill the value of exercise and activity. However, by the time one is in highschool, it may too late.

What ticked my off was having to take 2 credits of PE at the university. What a joke and waste of time and needless expense. As tuition is now something like $500/credit hour at state schools, $500 to be forced to play 14 hours of volleyball and or basketball is pretty stupid IMHO.

Potential good courses on personal fitness, weight training, sports conditioning, sports officiating, team building, endurance, or even team building ropes courses etc would have provided some value. However such courses would typically require actual work on the part of students and professor rather than goof off play.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
PE is a must. The Chinese got that right, ie. Tai Chi. And believe me look out for them in the future. Also when I went to school back in the Stone Age nutrition and the like was addressed.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Ya know, another thing you could do as president, is encourage the use of Welfare... If you would raise our taxes along with those budget cutting school issues, I would appreciate it. Also, if you could create more low paying, and minimum wage jobs, by reducing the already low cumulative IQ of the nation, it would be much appreciated. THANKS!!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCatalyst
If I were President

What if you were President ? Anyway there is only 1, and it's ME : Link

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Milk, if the only high paying jobs are doing it sitting on your *ss then O.K.. But what if you actually have to do physical activity, for example, a firefighter, then there's issues. Personally I don't have much confidence in a 5"6" 340 lb. firefighter.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Milk, if the only high paying jobs are doing it sitting on your *ss then O.K.. But what if you actually have to do physical activity, for example, a firefighter, then there's issues. Personally I don't have much confidence in a 5"6" 340 lb. firefighter.

Actually, I had no problem with your Phys. Ed. required, as it was in my HS, but there are sooooooooooo many jobs out there which are not physically, but mentally demanding, and require the knowledge that you are talking about "dumping" from the curriculum. People can also get in shape for other reasons too... I for one, was never in shape in PE, or because of it. In fact, I had no interest in being in shape until AFTER HS, when I did have a physically demanding job...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join